Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 20, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #7,381 of 13,800
You sure about that? I ask because there has been a bunch of resistance here about the size of the new chassis. If it remains at the dimensions that we have seen to date, it is a large item for a desktop setup. We think that it may look "better", but even that is not settled... depending on implementation of what so far is an early prototype.

I am wavering. J.P. said "some" delay is acceptable... I am not sure yet what my definition of "some" is in this case. I am not sure either what the probable delay will be.. Difficult decision when the end game is unknown!

There are other similar products like those from Cavalli, Violectric etc which have bigger chassis. I think the main reason people are annoyed is that the initial old chassis dimensions were much smaller while now it has increased dramatically.

May 20, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #7,382 of 13,800

Indeed, the continued silence from LH is deafening.  As always, all too happy to send frequent emails selling the latest product (GO v2 in this case), but no response even to direct, repeated questions on here and LH forums on even a vague ETA for Infinity with old or new chassis.  Again, as per usual, we're not given the correct information to make an informed choice. Oh well, I've given up & bought another decent dac in the meantime as I'm honestly not expecting the new chassis Infinity to be shipping this side of Christmas.

My Infinity, in the old chassis, is in transit as we type! I get the impression they'd be happier if everyone chose the old chassis so they could get them out the door!

Excellent news mate.  Will look forward to your impressions 
wink.gif
.  Glad to hear at least some of the Infinity units are shipping.

May 20, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #7,383 of 13,800

... But my Infinity arrived today and I'm listening to it now and directly comparing it to my vanilla Pulse I've had since late last year. So far, I'm pretty impressed. And this is not anticipation hearing or expectations. Actually, I was very happy with the Pulse. But the difference is audible on every level. So no matter what chassis you're waiting for, the unit itself is pretty damn good. More impressions later if anyone wants them.

Did it come with a LightSpeed 2G USB cable as was promised - or at least a note implying future shipment of the cable?

Ed45

("Ed" on the LH Labs forums)

May 20, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #7,385 of 13,800

Same here. At least the resale value with the new chassis would be higher.

You sure about that? I ask because there has been a bunch of resistance here about the size of the new chassis. If it remains at the dimensions that we have seen to date, it is a large item for a desktop setup. We think that it may look "better", but even that is not settled... depending on implementation of what so far is an early prototype.

I am wavering. J.P. said "some" delay is acceptable... I am not sure yet what my definition of "some" is in this case. I am not sure either what the probable delay will be.. Difficult decision when the end game is unknown!

Fair point.  I've been cogitating on the whole fiasco, & having said I was happy to wait I've now done a complete u-turn and have requested the old chassis.  There are indeed doubts about the form factor of the new chassis, and the final quality is an unknown as well. If I'm honest, I could really do with a desktop size unit as well.

Those of you whose Infinities have shipped...do they have the old or new ESS chip in them?  Or are all the Infinities now shipping with new chips?  I've kind of lost track of this whole thing!

May 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #7,386 of 13,800

Hey Ed. Actually, I received the 2G that was part of this deal some time ago separately.

Hey Jeff. Glad to hear that.  I purchased a 2G during the first campaign, then backed the Infinity early and planned on using the 2nd 2G with my laptop.  I asked because a while ago LHL announced that there were issues with the last samples of 2Gs they received, and the 1 meter 2G is still marked as "Sold Out" on the Products page.  I'm sure that I'll eventually receive it.

I'm very undecided on whether to wait for the new chassis or get the old one, which unlike the new chassis would actually fit in a reserved space on my desktop.

May 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #7,387 of 13,800

Fair point.  I've been cogitating on the whole fiasco, & having said I was happy to wait I've now done a complete u-turn and have requested the old chassis.  There are indeed doubts about the form factor of the new chassis, and the final quality is an unknown as well. If I'm honest, I could really do with a desktop size unit as well.

Those of you whose Infinities have shipped...do they have the old or new ESS chip in them?  Or are all the Infinities now shipping with new chips?  I've kind of lost track of this whole thing!

Mark, they do have the new chip. Space is also a premium on my desktop and I don't mind the current look of the unit. It's not exciting but it's the sound quality I want more!

May 20, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #7,388 of 13,800

Hey Jeff. Glad to hear that.  I purchased a 2G during the first campaign, then backed the Infinity early and planned on using the 2nd 2G with my laptop.  I asked because a while ago LHL announced that there were issues with the last samples of 2Gs they received, and the 1 meter 2G is still marked as "Sold Out" on the Products page.  I'm sure that I'll eventually receive it.

I'm very undecided on whether to wait for the new chassis or get the old one, which unlike the new chassis would actually fit in a reserved space on my desktop.

I'm not sure why I received mine early and separately, I haven't even used it yet because it isn't long enough for where my placement is on my desktop! I hope you get yours with your unit Ed, and soon.

May 20, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #7,389 of 13,800
Well - I just opted for the old chassis.  I'll be using it in tandem with a Geek LPS and LS 2G that I'm currently using with a GO1000.  I'll report my impressions once I've received it and fired it up.

Ed

May 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #7,390 of 13,800
Sorry, is that a joke?

Yeah.

Do you have a link to the post where there were issues with the 2G?

I ordered both a 2G and the THD perk (which included the free 2G). I have received neither but the THD perk one should come with the X Infinity itself.

May 20, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #7,391 of 13,800
May 20, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #7,392 of 13,800

I'm not sure why I received mine early and separately, I haven't even used it yet because it isn't long enough for where my placement is on my desktop! I hope you get yours with your unit Ed, and soon.

Thanks!  I opted for the old chassis and 5 minutes later I received a shipping notice, so I don't thing that's going to happen.  No matter - I'll still be able to use my current LPS and LS2G with the Infinity. I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you and other old chassis Infinity backers, and I'll probably bring it to the SF Bay Area Head-fi meet.

May 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #7,393 of 13,800

Thanks!  I opted for the old chassis and 5 minutes later I received a shipping notice, so I don't thing that's going to happen.  No matter - I'll still be able to use my current LPS and LS2G with the Infinity. I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you and other old chassis Infinity backers, and I'll probably bring it to the SF Bay Area Head-fi meet.

I think that once again they were too optimistic about their ability to deliver something (this time the new chassis) so they actually have internals ready to go. I'll be anxious to hear your impressions also Ed. Still listening to mine and pretty happy so far. Just want to give it some more time. Wow, I just saw the SF meet topic, I went last year and loved it. I hope I can make it again this year.

May 20, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #7,394 of 13,800

When you say that you opted for the old chassis, how did you opt for it? Was this in reply to an email message, or by changing the option in the survey. I ask because at this point I have no clue how to communicate the change.
If I decide to go that way... As long as the guts are the same, the connectors are the same, and they are functionally equivalent,,, and sound the same (sorry J.P. not convinced of the vibration differences...nor that one is superior in that regard to the other, no way to tell at this point with the new chassis undefined)... and if I can cut possibly months off of the delivery time... it gets to be close to a no-brainer to pick the old chassis!!!

May 20, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #7,395 of 13,800

When you say that you opted for the old chassis, how did you opt for it? Was this in reply to an email message, or by changing the option in the survey. I ask because at this point I have no clue how to communicate the change.
If I decide to go that way... As long as the guts are the same, the connectors are the same, and they are functionally equivalent,,, and sound the same (sorry J.P. not convinced of the vibration differences...nor that one is superior in that regard to the other, no way to tell at this point with the new chassis undefined)... and if I can cut possibly months off of the delivery time... it gets to be close to a no-brainer to pick the old chassis!!!

Best way is to open a ticket for sure. For me the only thing besides aesthetics is that the new chassis does have an SD card slot for firmware upgrades and also the larger volume knob that many requested. Those could be deciding factors for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back