Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
May 20, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #7,396 of 13,800

There are other similar products like those from Cavalli, Violectric etc which have bigger chassis. I think the main reason people are annoyed is that the initial old chassis dimensions were much smaller while now it has increased dramatically.

A good point, but I would not consider those as I do not have room. I have been looking for a DAC to use with the Liquid Carbon that I pre-ordered. There are a few that I would like to have, but I struck them from my list simply based upon their physical size. I would guess that there are quite a few potential buyers with similar constraints.

May 20, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #7,397 of 13,800

When you say that you opted for the old chassis, how did you opt for it? Was this in reply to an email message, or by changing the option in the survey.

It was in response to an email I received from LHL stating that they were unable to access their survey system and asking me whether I wanted to receive an Infinity with the old or new chassis. I don't know if they only sent the note to Infinity backers who ordered their Pulses during the first campaign.  I backed mine in November of 2013.

May 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #7,398 of 13,800

I am sure I am well down the list. I bought the basic Pulse in the package deal with the HJE-560s.. then, of course, got sucked in to the upgrades to the Xfinite level... with latest ESS dac.. I would figure that I have a while to think about the decision on which chassis to get.

May 20, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #7,399 of 13,800
My LPS4 is on its way. Everything I ordered will be in house shortly.

May 20, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #7,400 of 13,800
My LPS4 is on its way. Everything I ordered will be in house shortly.

You are quite fortunate! I am envious. Nothing I have pledged for is in house. Chances are it will not be for a long time. I do have a GO 1000, but I bought that from a middle man.

May 20, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #7,401 of 13,800
It was in response to an email I received from LHL stating that they were unable to access their survey system and asking me whether I wanted to receive an Infinity with the old or new chassis. I don't know if they only sent the note to Infinity backers who ordered their Pulses during the first campaign.  I backed mine in November of 2013.

what. Come again... They cant access THEIR OWN SURVEY SYSTEM.

May 20, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #7,402 of 13,800
Listening to my Pulse X right now! Got it hooked up for initial testing, just making sure everything is working right, no serious listening just yet. Packaging was good, everything came through unscathed. 1G USB cable was included in the box along with a card extending the warranty to 2 years. 

There's also a packing slip that indicates a purchase price of $1,799. That's cute. Unpacking the unit itself... well it does not look nor feel like a nearly $2,000 component. I'm not complaining as it is perfectly in line with what I actually paid and perhaps a few rungs above that, but I'm not sure I'd say it exudes even half the MSRP. Perhaps I'm out of touch with where things are at today. Of course, it's what is under the hood and how it sounds that really matters, at least to me.

A couple first impression quibbles, quirks and glitches:
  1. The smoked cover over the display has some scratches on it, like someone was trying to plug in headphones in the dark and kept missing the jack. It's not very noticeable, but there is no protective layer over the cover that the user usually peals off.
  2. The wall-wart power supply looks really cheap, especially at the retail price. Like something you get with a cell phone. I know, I could have upgraded to the LPS. Again, as long as the sound is OK... 
  3. I'm doing my initial testing with the coax SPDIF input. Upon first firing it up I got nothing from the right channel. Checked the connections - good. Changed sources back to USB, then back to SPDIF 1 - BINGO, sound is there now.
  4. After confirming that it could make music, I paused the source and had dinner, then came back to listen a bit and before long noticed that a strange flapping helicopter like sound was coming from the left channel tweeter. Cycled through the inputs again and BINGO - problem solved.

OK, enough belly-aching. I've got it hooked up as follows: Squeezebox Touch > coax SPDIF > Pulse X (line out mode/full volume) > Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway XLR > Wyred4Sound mPRE > Kimber PBJ XLR > JBL LSR305 active monitors. No headphone use just yet, planning to do that at work tomorrow.

What about the sound? First impression is that is very smoooooove, perhaps a bit too much so? It's got a softness to the top end that makes it seem almost dulled somewhat. Bear in mind this is brand new out of the box, slapped down and played with no special setup. My speakers are not even optimally placed and I've had to keep the volume down somewhat since the kid is sleeping. But all that said, my initial thought is that holy cow, this easily trounces the ESS 9023 DAC section of my mPRE and others I have heard. It's got a ton of detail, but not in your face, just properly proportioned. Soundstage and imaging are fantastic, plus it leans toward the warm side of neutral (perhaps because of the smoothness?) with a tremendous low end. Actually, as I'm sitting here typing I'm taken with just how spacious, and open and NATURAL it sounds. I may have to pull out my Magnepans and big monoblock amps this weekend to see how it sounds with those (they are being "divested" due to system downsizing, so not currently hooked up, which I worry might entice me to keep those).

Tomorrow I'll be using the Pulse X with my Macbook Air running JRiver and either AKG K7XX or Sennheiser HD650. I've also got high-res PCM and DSD tracks to put it through its paces.

More to come.

May 21, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #7,403 of 13,800

Who wrote replied to your email?

May 21, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #7,404 of 13,800
  Who wrote replied to your email?

The original notice was sent by LHL staff, and the notification that my product was going to ship seemed to be auto generated by a shipping service or software platform that LHL is using.  The reply to my reply provided a tracking number which eventually worked.

May 21, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #7,405 of 13,800
Ed45, the question was who. There are several people on staff at LH Labs. Customer Service these days seems to consist of Manny, Stephanie and Gina. There are also several people in shipping working under Diana and at the top of LH Labs there are Larry and Gavin, just below them in the food chain is Casey. There are also others in tech services and elsewhere but these are the names commonly seen in communication.

You likely got an email from Stephanie or Gina, but possibly from Manny. The answers and service level can vary significantly depending upon the specific individual with whom you were communicating. We are curious as to the specific individual who gave you the information. In this case, LH Labs has little meaning.

J P.

May 21, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #7,406 of 13,800
Ed45, the question was who. There are several people on staff at LH Labs. Customer Service these days seems to consist of Manny, Stephanie and Gina. There are also several people in shipping working under Diana and at the top of LH Labs there are Larry and Gavin, just below them in the food chain is Casey. There are also others in tech services and elsewhere but these are the names commonly seen in communication.

You likely got an email from Stephanie or Gina, but possibly from Manny. The answers and service level can vary significantly depending upon the specific individual with whom you were communicating. We are curious as to the specific individual who gave you the information. In this case, LH Labs has little meaning.

J P.

Hey J.P. 

The sender was Gina, however the message looked more like bulk email rather than a personalized note, which is why I said LHL staff.

Ed45 ("Ed" on the LHL forums)

May 21, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #7,407 of 13,800
Same as Ed, I received a pre-shipment notice for my Infinity just a few minutes after emailing Gina to change my mind about chassis choice. I'm also due a 1G from the original campaign perk, and a 2G from the THD perk. Gina said the 2G is out of stock & will ship when available, but that I will receive a 1G with my Infinity (although it's not listed on the pre-shipping notice).

I'll be comparing the Infinity to another Sabre dac (a really nice one!), the DiDiT DAC212, and I should still have the demo Chord Hugo TT here for comparison as well.

May 21, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #7,408 of 13,800
Okay, have gotten used the Pulse Sfi. I am using an AKG KXXX and a Philips Fidelio X2 with it currently as they are the HPs I have currently. 

Current impressions of it seems to be consistant with other people's experiences, if I'm interpreting them right. My impression of the Pulse Sfi, using the HP out on low to medium gain at about -30db is that its sound signature is rather smooth and polite. I don't think there is much treble energy here and it could be the case that treble is a bit rolled off, certainly it is not in your face treble. To me, the mids sound sound a bit laid back for me, kind of like a Sennheiser HP's mids. They do sound natural though and I do like the mids though my preference seems to be that the mids be a bit more forward. As for the bass, I can say that it does have a lot of punch and extends low. I can't answer if it bleeds or not into the mids from what I can tell, it doesn't do it in an obvious way. Then again, the two HPs I have currently may be considered a bit warm so YMMV.

EDIT:

The rig I'm comparing it to is a AudioLab MDAC with a LPSU I got somewhere and a Meier Audio Corda Classic.

May 21, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #7,409 of 13,800
Same as Ed, I received a pre-shipment notice for my Infinity just a few minutes after emailing Gina to change my mind about chassis choice. I'm also due a 1G from the original campaign perk, and a 2G from the THD perk. Gina said the 2G is out of stock & will ship when available, but that I will receive a 1G with my Infinity (although it's not listed on the pre-shipping notice).

I'll be comparing the Infinity to another Sabre dac (a really nice one!), the DiDiT DAC212, and I should still have the demo Chord Hugo TT here for comparison as well.

May i also ask the date you backed?

May 21, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #7,410 of 13,800

May i also ask the date you backed?

December 12th 2013. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back