Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #6,031 of 13,800
  Anyone experiencing dropouts?

I have dropouts with my Pulse (February, Firmware 2/2.1)
sources: Logitech Touch, Windows+foobar (both are dropout free using other DACs as FiiO X3, ODAC, etc)
files: FLAC 16/44.1, FLAC 24/96, MP3 320
connections: I've been using both USB and Toslink

tried to post below with no luck...
http://lhlabs.com/force/techsupport-geekpulse/3399-what-to-do-about-frequent-dropouts/
http://lhlabs.com/force/customer-happiness-bug-reports/3659-dropouts

I have experienced hiss/distortion/pops for a little bit, but then it went away on its own.  (I have no clue on what happened.)

Do you have the latest firmware?  Can you try a different power supply?  Or at least another outlet?

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #6,032 of 13,800
well, i waited over a year , but a promise is a promise, but damn i'll miss this

http://www.head-fi.org/t/757004/lhlabs-geek-pulse-x-f-i-and-lps4-2g-usb-cable-104

@kugino  not long huh ??

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #6,034 of 13,800
Well, and I want to reiterate that I'm uncertain which device is to blame, so I don't want to point any fingers yet.

The Blu-ray player in question is a hacked Pioneer BDP-150 which also plays SACDs (hacked to play all regions Blu-rays and DVDs).

double check blue ray setting not set to bitstream but pcm

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #6,035 of 13,800
@jaywillin a little longer than I expected
wink.gif
I got you beat, though...sold mine before even receiving it!

kudos on selling at a very fair price...shouldn't last too long.

oh, i had mine sold(2-3 months ago), but i haven't heard from him in over a month, despite me messaging him, and i checked his profile a few times, and he's been online at least twice since my first message asking if he still wanted it, he'd even given me a small non-refundable deposit (his idea). i'm a little glad it fell through, i was going to ship unopened, this way, i got to hear it, and if i hadn't made a deal with the boss lady, i'd keep this sucker, it is one great sounding piece of kit

oh, and the wife said don't give it away, i just don't to loose any money, and it's worth more than $1200 soundwise IMO
so, i figured, at the price including the 2g cable, was a very fair 

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #6,037 of 13,800
well, i do wish, i wish i was keeping mine, that's for sure

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #6,038 of 13,800
  well, i do wish, i wish i was keeping mine, that's for sure

i did get caught up in "perk-o-palooza" , and the wife has been so good with all my previous spending here, i figured its time for her to get something nice

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #6,040 of 13,800
For my desktop setup the new dimensions of the Infinity and the HPA work perfectly as my little shelf area is 10" wide, so the 9.5" will slot in perfectly. I think I can tuck the LPS4 in behind them, turned on its side. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #6,041 of 13,800
I also love the new chassis size. If I hadn't upgraded to vi dac infinity plus 1 I'd be really happy with it

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #6,042 of 13,800
So I've been lurking here for a while, watching all 400+ pages of other people spelling out every one of the issues that I've faced through this crowdfunding ordeal. Just wanted to post that I got my Verb's today. I've got a pretty reasonable collection of IEM's, so I'm not sure what I was expecting for $39, but I figured I'd give them a try after my Klipsch S4's died last month. All I can say is that I'm not impressed. The frequency distribution isn't pleasant to me at all, with the low end being completely muddied and a severe lack of mids. The fit is better than stock Apple jobs, as these are inserted into the ear canal. The cable to each side from the splitter is pretty thin and monophonic, and I wouldn't imagine that they would last long if worn regularly, based on my previous experience with many an IEM death from a broken wire to one side. Fortunately, I won't ever have to worry about that, because I don't think the sound is as good as the stock Apple phones, and these won't have a place in my rotation. I'm not sure who LH is targeting at the MSRP, but I wouldn't buy another pair even at the "special, discounted, once in forever" $39 price. I don't do Beats or Sskullcandy, but the S4's, UE SuperFi3, and HiFiMan RE-400 that I've used as my "beater" IEM's sound significantly better to me. Maybe there's a reason I've never been tempted by sub $100 IEMs before. Anyway, I've learned a $39 lesson and won't buy anything that I can't listen to first, or return.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #6,043 of 13,800
For me its $39 curiosity. Can give it to my friends as gift if need be.

I'm happy with my UM Mentor (for now).

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #6,044 of 13,800
Have any of you guys tried using the Geek Pulse via non-USB connections?  It works nicely for me via USB, but in trying both SPDIF (both ports) and Toslink, things didn't go so well.

With SPDIF, the dropouts are occasional, but enough to be annoying -- in this case, the Pulse was connected to a Blu-ray player I have.

With Toslink, I connected from my Macbook Pro using a Toslink cable and a mini-Toslink to Toslink adapter.  This cable works very nicely with an Audio-gd NFB-12 I have, so I have no reason to believe the problem is either with my laptop or the cable.  In this Toslink case, the dropouts are so severe as to be unlistenable -- things are dropped out more than they're playing.

Anyone else have any better luck?

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #6,045 of 13,800
double check blue ray setting not set to bitstream but pcm

Good suggestion -- it was on PCM and I tried bitstream for the hell of it.  I noticed no difference either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back