Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 3, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #6,062 of 13,800
I don't remember pulse had these many issues shipped last year.

And I'm not necessarily claiming that there *are* that many issues, though obviously blown headphones are a very serious issue even if isolated.

The form is to get some independent corroboration on LH's numbers, and to make it anonymous so some people who might be uncomfortable about reporting an issue might do so now.

Over in another nook of the internet we're not seeing as many issues. However, I think you got stuck in the Manny vortex. Guy seems super overworked and I've noticed the newer dedicated reps are more on the ball related to following up on support issues (I've had some questions about my contributions and a PEBKAC problem with my Linux box).

Honestly, I'd open another ticket and PM chartwell85 here to make sure it gets taken care of. I think LH is still growing/learning how to go from a few orders of an expensive product to thousands of orders. These are good growing pains even if the kinks are painful right now.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #6,063 of 13,800
So if that display flickers, do not plug anything into the device that you would care to keep using!

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #6,064 of 13,800
Honestly, I'd open another ticket and PM chartwell85 here to make sure it gets taken care of. I think LH is still growing/learning how to go from a few orders of an expensive product to thousands of orders.

Thanks for the suggestion, it would probably be the fastest way - but it seems absurd I have to bypass the actual support ticketing system that they encourage people to use, just to get an adequate response.

I am happy to cut the company some slack when it comes to minor teething issues. But I would have thought it would have been a priority to address a hardware that can damage headphones. I don't feel like the level of follow up was adequate given the seriousness of the issue. It shouldn't be up to me to second guess how wrecked their support ticket system is and go around chasing people with PMs.

This isn't directed at you zerodeefex, I'm just really frustrated at this point.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #6,065 of 13,800
  Lachlan here. A month ago I posted a video that demonstrated issues with my Geek Pulse that were severe enough to damage a headphone, and which did in fact blow my Takstar Pro 80's. It was suggested by some people that it was irresponsible and premature to post the video without getting Light Harmonic's response, while some other people were glad to be alerted to a possible issue.

I'm here to give an update on exactly what has happened since then: nothing.

The unit is still sitting on my desk. It has been a month. My last contact was 9 days ago: I was told that the person my ticket was assigned to (Manny) was reassigned and couldn't respond to tickets. 

You would think that if there is a problem severe enough to destroy a pair of headphones, LH Labs would want to get the unit into their lab ASAP to see what is going on. Maybe so that they could prevent any other units from being shipped out with the same issue.

Instead it has been sitting on my desk for a month. In that time I have received 12 email updates about the various other crowdfunding campaigns and perks that LH is concurrently spruiking. Glad to see they have their priorities in order.

Yesterday, I got an email from someone who received their Geek Pulse, only to have it blow the right channel on their AKG K7XX. They were upset, but were uncomfortable about reporting the issue on a public forum.

I'd like to urge anyone who has had issues with their pulse to come forward. It's a matter of real urgency if there are units being shipped that can damage headphones.

To that end I've prepared an anonymous Google form to get actual numbers on how many Geek Pulse units have shipped and how many have had issues. This way we can get an accurate picture instead of conjecture. You can respond to the form here: http://goo.gl/forms/AR827KTu3t

Please share this form with other people who know have ordered a Geek Pulse so that we can get some more accurate numbers.

Hi Lachland,

In response to your most recent posting here, I thought I'd circle back and hop in on this discussion with you.  

As you recall, immediately after you posted your video of your Geek Pulse, I reached out directly to you via your own blog, Facebook page, YouTube channel, Geek Force Forum and your posting in this forum.  I was more than happy to provide you with my direct contact info (Skype, cell phone number & email address) to address your concerns with your odd ball Pulse unit.  Obviously there's an issue with it, hence, me personally reaching out to you in order to rectify the situation.  

Just to reiterate, there's obviously an issue with your Geek Pulse.  The flickering light is an indication of this.  While your Pulse has an issue, we still stand behind the less than 5% failure rate and continue to monitor it diligently.  We have yet to receive any other reports of Pulse's blowing headphones nor have we received any RMA's with similar circumstances of the flickering light such as the one on your unit is experiencing.  

As for your RMA ticket that you opened, I had addressed those concerns directly with you in hopes that it would expedite the process.  That offer is still on the table if you'd like to act on it.  

Despite the negative posts in the forums, we receive plenty of praise directly from our customers, via email, daily.  For example, this email came in recently:

"Thank you sir for addressing this problem with such a hands-on approach. I know the forums can sometimes sound hostile but I will be sure to share this very positive experience on the forums. Much appreciated! Please share this email with Gavin and Larry :)

We've also received positive reviews in our forum as well: http://lhlabs.com/force/impression/3682-pulse-xfi-impression-with-lps4-lightspeed-10g-split

While your approach to handling this situation has been less than pleasant, we stand by our commitment to fixing the issues associated with our product and welcome any and all feedback regarding the process by which it's handled. 

To recap.  We're privy to the issues you're experiencing with our product and would like to discuss them more in depth with you via the channels I've detailed above.  I sincerely hope we can move forward and solve the issues your experiencing both professionally and in a timely manner.

Best regards,

Casey Hartwell 

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #6,067 of 13,800
  Hi Lachland,

Hi Casey!

Here was my message to you on the forum a month ago.

HI Casey,

Thank you for reaching out. I have quite a few questions regarding the Geek Pulse and Light Harmonic, and I would appreciate it if you would be able to provide some answers. You can reach me on Skype with username 'lachlan.tsang' otherwise you may email me at lachlanlikesathing@gmail.com. Unfortunately due to timezone problems (I am in Australia) it may be harder to arrange a time for a call. Look forward to speaking with you.

Was this "less than pleasant?"

Do you think it was adequate follow up to add me on Skype and then never to send me a message or email when I had told you beforehand I live in Australia and it would be hard to arrange a call?

Can you tell me why I have to speak with the digital marketing manager to get an issue like this resolved instead of going through the normal support ticketing system?

You say you are sincerely hope this will be resolved professionally. Do you think it is in anyway professional to let a customer have a support ticket go unresolved for a month, and then to tell them they are acting less than pleasant?

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #6,069 of 13,800

Hi Casey!

Here was my message to you on the forum a month ago.

Was this "less than pleasant?"

Do you think it was adequate follow up to add me on Skype and then never to send me a message or email when I had told you beforehand I live in Australia and it would be hard to arrange a call?

Can you tell me why I have to speak with the digital marketing manager to get an issue like this resolved instead of going through the normal support ticketing system?

You say you are sincerely hope this will be resolved professionally. Do you think it is in anyway professional to let a customer have a support ticket go unresolved for a month, and then to tell them they are acting less than pleasant?

Hey Lachlan,

Thanks for the prompt response.  

And here was my response to your PM in the forum 

I stated I was available anytime for a call and added you minutes later on Skype in hopes that would expedite our interaction. 

The reason I reached out directly was simple.  Your video post concerned us.  If your unit is malfunctioning we wanted to address the situation head-on and in the most direct manner.  Hence, why I stepped in.  

It's never professional to have a support ticket remain in limbo for a month.  But that's not what happened here. 

My communication with you via, basically, every social and private channel you have in hopes that you'd follow up with me should show how seriously we took this matter.  

You have my contact info (along with everybody else in the world now) and I still welcome the opportunity to speak with you further.  

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #6,070 of 13,800
  My communication with you via, basically, every social and private channel you have in hopes that you'd follow up with me should show how seriously we took this matter.  

Okay, so that I understand what you are saying: you took my issue seriously enough to take the 10 seconds to add me on Skype, but once you added me you didn't take it seriously enough to message me or email me, or otherwise to follow up when I told you that because of my timezone, it may be harder to arrange a call? Suddenly when the conversation goes into a private channel the onus is all on me to follow up?

I understand that some miscommunication may have occurred here. But I absolutely will not accept you telling me I dealt with this less than pleasantly. I have been more than pleasant about this - I've been quiet. I've been quietly waiting to see how the support ticket system would work for an ordinary customer who experienced a severe issue. LH has dropped the ball - with the support tickets, with the failure to follow up, with the actual fault of the unit itself - and I am absolutely floored that you would be defensive enough to call my handling of the situation unpleasant.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #6,072 of 13,800
Well to be fair to LHL, it's not like they're not trying.

I recently opened up a PM on the support system regarding some infuriating confusion (and lack of transparency) of my purchases and perks. Now before I get into that further, let me first state up front that it is partially my fault for not keeping up with all the updates as of late. There's just too many emails and too many new things that I kinda got lost.

It took about a week and a half for me to get a reply from Stephanie, saying that my ticket was being redirected to the relevant personnel. To this I was quite incredulous because I waited a week just to receive a reply saying that the ticket is being forwarded?! So I prepared to wait for another week or so before my ticket was actually addressed...

But to my pleasant surprise, I received a reply the very next day. Manny was the guy whom replied, and although my ticket was actually quite long and littered with lots of facts and figures, it was apparent that he bothered to read through it and understand my point. I was impressed because this is an improvement compared to previous instances where either it was clear that my tickets were being glanced through and the replies weren't even addressing my initial concerns, or I was getting replied with simple one-liners (that only happened with Carlos though) followed by ticket closures.

However, despite all of this (just a heads up: Manny has been really courteous in all his replies!), I actually found out that a request that I made months ago regarding changing of perks/products apparently hasn't even been registered in the system. On top of that, Manny's reply was ambiguous, something along the lines of 'sure we can do that', when in fact I had mentioned 2-3 different suggestions, and hence din't know which 'that' he was referring to. So essentially, I'm still kinda in the dark about my own orders and where I stand. Ouch.

Manny did tell me to drop back in once the new cataloguing system/database is in place though, and I figured I might as well wait until LHL are able to (as they suggested) reflect my change of orders within the system. I'm not sure why it's such a tedious process, but I'll continue to remain patient, and in the meanwhile maintain my daily struggle to process the overwhelming number of changes and alterations.

The point of this is to say that the CS team of LHL, as per what I feel, are really trying their utmost best to process everything in a timely manner. The problem is just that the task they have at hand is a practical impossibility. Part of my opened ticket quoted an update from the old Geek Wave campaign which was since taken down. Another part quoted an earlier ticket regarding an issue which first surfaced due to communication issues on the part of LHL during the very first cancelled Geek Wave campaign (which later became the new Geek Stream).

I tried to imagine myself as Manny... I'd probably have smashed my keyboard.

The larger issue at hand is this. The CS team at LHL are improving. But they're expanding at a rate which is still slower than the product growth of LHL. So in the scheme of things whilst they are ironing the kinks out, there's stil 3 more kinks appearing for every 2 kinks they resolve! Which in other words means, the level of relative improvement is extremely small.

I hope this post is taken more as a constructive suggestion rather than as a criticism. CS is improving, but they need an extended stretch of stability for them to consolidate and establish themselves properly. And the solution to this is: stop the perks and new campaigns, at least for a short period of time. Maybe just 2 weeks or so of focusing entirely on development, shipping and CS queries, and none on marketing and product creation. Steady the ship for a while, and then continue with expanding the breath and scope of Geek products.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #6,073 of 13,800
@a_recording "Less than pleasant" might be directed to your Youtube video which you noted, "It was suggested by some people that it was irresponsible and premature to post the video without getting Light Harmonic's response.."

"To that end I've prepared an anonymous Google form to get actual numbers on how many Geek Pulse units have shipped and how many have had issues. This way we can get an accurate picture instead of conjecture." Likewise, this would at most, form an inconclusive sample without the real numbers. The variables (anonymity, sample size, sample's mindset)  are likely to form a conjecture than fact.

When Casey mentioned, he was available anytime and asked for you to notify what's best for you, I read it as, he was willing to set up conference in your convenience but of course for you to reply with the details. I've seen Casey replying to comments during late hours (PST), and know several Light Harmonic employees working after hours.

I am only speaking as a Light Harmonic backer, I am not an employee and I have raised questions many times.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #6,074 of 13,800
Whee. I got my RMA for the LPS4 unit I have. I'm surprised they have staff working at midnight, unless the message was automated to be sent then.

They still haven't provided a technical explanation behind the issue though despite acknowledging it. As mentioned, someone who got an exchanged unit has the same issue as before, so I'm afraid that I'd have to pay for shipping twice if my exchanged unit indeed has the same issue. >.>

Oh, the Houston We've Got A Problem thread got updated by Larry a few minutes ago about the LPS issue (not Lachlan's though).
Hi,

Ben is trying to duplicate the issue you have. If needed, we will try to arrange a quick in-depth about how the buzz was and what is the real issue there because this is the second units you have.

Stay tuned. We will find out the reason.

Larry

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #6,075 of 13,800
All I can see from lhlabs = new perks.

The "promised" survey for updating of address and existing perks never comes, it is really frustrating. The usual reply was always next week, but never happened.

I ordered a Geek Pulse X Infinity cost around $1000 USD,
From what I read, parts of the delays are also from QCing. Was QC even done properly?

Imagine waiting for 2 years for a Pulse X Infinity that ends up blowing your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back