Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 4, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #4,996 of 13,800

So, while we are in the LPS topic... :)

I received the cheap LPS from ebay.  Alas, the Pulse does not work with it.  It turns on, but it is not recognized by the computer.  

I checked and it indeed produces 12V DC.  So, I can only assume it does not have enough current.  Either it does not put our 1.25A as advertised, or the Pulse actually need more than 1.2A. 

Good to know I was about to order one but decided to wait until my Pulse arrived - if you get it to work post back!

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #4,997 of 13,800

The power on pop the pulse has shouldn't be destroying any headphones, it sounds like Lachlan had a generally faulty unit and that's what destroyed his headphones.  He was smart to use a cheap takstar pro 80 to test.  I think LH Labs said the soft start relay raised the noise floor 2.5db or something.. so I'm ok with not having it I guess.  It might be more of an issue if you're controlling a speaker amp through the pulse.. 

Yes, the issue was first raised on the LH forum by a Pulse reseller who blew multiple fuses in his Maggies. He was judged to have been a bit too vocal about it and won a temporary forum ban as a reward. 
Wow.....thank goodness for the fuses. Maggies aren't exactly inexpensive. :|

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,998 of 13,800
Would the Pulse with the power issue be even legal in some countries?

Personally would I rather have a safe piece of equipment over a small incremental improvement in sound.

I don't think you can hide behind "this is what the crowd wanted" if they know this is an issue that may have greater implications. They are the professionals and ultimately we trusted them to make the right reasonable choices in the design.

Just my 2 cents.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,999 of 13,800
  Have to disagree with you on this one. Pretty much every piece of high-end amplification gear that I've owned makes a sound on turn on, be it a headphone amp or a 2-channel tube-amp, from $500 to $10K. 

And by definition, doesn't a muting circuit have to be in the signal path? If you put a relay in to break the circuit until the caps settle, the relay would have to be in the path, right? (have to admit I'm a ChemE not an EE). 

And regarding a power-spike from the wall, the power circuit and fuse would take care of this. They wouldn't handle a lightning strike of course, but in that case I'm not sure that the state of my headphone amp would be the first thing I'd worry about...

Cheers all and happy listening!

I know with a preamp circuit, you can mute the output by grounding the hot lead with a relay which is not in the signal path while disengaged. Maybe there's also simple way to do it with higher power circuits.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #5,000 of 13,800
A lot of audio gears I own has pops when they are turned on....

How ever, almost all of them that pops has an analog volume control and the effect of the pop can be neglected by turning the volume all the way down.

The Geek Pulse though.... it's set to -80 db at turn on with the new firmware... that means it can't be turned all the way by all means.

It is some point of concern, because let's admit it....

I for one, is a forgetful SoB that might just turn down the knob due to habit and performed power cycle with equipment plugged in. Especially when i connect them to my speaker.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #5,001 of 13,800
  I'd be happy with a weekly update in the "Updates" section, as long as it is regular and informative. Sad to see that the "Updates" section for the Pulse hasn't been refreshed since 12/30 and for the Wave since 12/12. 

They're have track records of abandoning what's they've created, 300er and 1500 club, weekly crowdfunding report/update, products update/progress....... why LH made them at first place if it's not so useful/not willing to carry out the jobs on regular (maybe adhoc) basis?

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #5,003 of 13,800
Uh Oh, hadn't read about this, better go over to LH or Indiegogo and check this out, I changed over to Soul Tube...

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #5,004 of 13,800
  They're have track records of abandoning what's they've created, 300er and 1500 club, weekly crowdfunding report/update, products update/progress....... why LH made them at first place if it's not so useful/not willing to carry out the jobs on regular (maybe adhoc) basis?

Exactly. The pattern is to launch a new communication approach to get everyone calmed down for a bit, update it a few times, then stop and then restart a whole new approach once the noise gets loud enough again. I'll go with consistency in one core approach! Cheers 

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #5,005 of 13,800
So, while we are in the LPS topic... :)

I received the cheap LPS from ebay.  Alas, the Pulse does not work with it.  It turns on, but it is not recognized by the computer.  

I checked and it indeed produces 12V DC.  So, I can only assume it does not have enough current.  Either it does not put our 1.25A as advertised, or the Pulse actually need more than 1.2A. 

did you disconnect and reconnect the USB data cable with the computer running and the Pulse powered on...
There was discussion and complaints about this having to be done...

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #5,006 of 13,800
Just in case you have not seen, there are a couple videos of Gavin explaining how to connect pulse to LPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6neiU-4jlRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL0TTnJfDYs

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #5,007 of 13,800
For those of you that are interested in Vi DAC, formerly known as Geek Soul, here's the link to check out the latest configurations and offerings........

http://bit.ly/lhlabsvidac

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #5,008 of 13,800
  Exactly. The pattern is to launch a new communication approach to get everyone calmed down for a bit, update it a few times, then stop and then restart a whole new approach once the noise gets loud enough again. I'll go with consistency in one core approach! Cheers 

Well it's not like any of their backers/supporters work in nationwide communications or anything. Nope, not at all.

But seriously, as someone who does this for a living I can attest that keeping communications straightforward and still encompass all of your customer base is difficult in just a single source. For example I oversee call centers in 15 states. We send outage alert emails to our agents, put outage information on a dedicated web page, and send out hourly reports updating everyone of current call drivers. Even with all of this we still have agents that report known outages. Now I can tell you that it's different for LH Labs because they don't have a system like ours in place. But to put that into perspective I have a team of about 20 handling every market and LH Labs has only a few people able to do updates. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But it's much more difficult to build communications after the fact rather than having the system in place from the start. Considering Light Harmonic growth this past year I doubt they could have had a completely flawless communication system in place. Think back to their size before they hired Manny and look where they are now.

From my outsider's perspective it seems that LH Labs would benefit by having a dedicated group whose sole purpose is to handle external communications instead of having a VP and the founder doing it. Casey is a marketing manager and for my employer a marketing executive will never send out emails to the customer base. However I work for a company with over 50,000 employees and LH Labs has fewer than 50; they're two completely different worlds. I don't claim to know anything about the inner workings of LH Labs and I don't know the needs of their business for sustainable growth. But I do know that it will take a considerable effort to get communications reaching a point where most backers are happy. It's impossible to please everyone and striving to do so is an effort in futility. I would love to see the information coming out of LH Labs more consistently and covering multiple outlets. Hopefully they already have a plan of action to improve the updates going forward.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #5,009 of 13,800

Well it's not like any of their backers/supporters work in nationwide communications or anything. Nope, not at all.

But seriously, as someone who does this for a living I can attest that keeping communications straightforward and still encompass all of your customer base is difficult in just a single source. For example I oversee call centers in 15 states. We send outage alert emails to our agents, put outage information on a dedicated web page, and send out hourly reports updating everyone of current call drivers. Even with all of this we still have agents that report known outages. Now I can tell you that it's different for LH Labs because they don't have a system like ours in place. But to put that into perspective I have a team of about 20 handling every market and LH Labs has only a few people able to do updates. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But it's much more difficult to build communications after the fact rather than having the system in place from the start. [snip]

I think that's typical apologist bull.

There have been many, many crowd funding campaigns, most of them ran by only a few people or even less, and most of them were able to communicate with the backers clearly and in a timely fashion.

LH Labs is either incompetent at customer communications, or they bit off more than they could chew but did it anyways due to the money, simple as that.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #5,010 of 13,800
I have my doubts on the improved communication.
We were (still are) praying for this end of 2013. And i haven't seen much of improvement.

We need to beg for it instead of getting continuously updates.
So what will happen? People will yell for this and that news/input and finally Gavin will post something, promises more in a frequently matter and then everybody is calmed down but....nothing will change. No regular updates....

Same precedure as always ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back