Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 27, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #3,916 of 13,800
Over a year waiting time for DAC is a long lifespan. It's rapidly changing, ever developing technology (compared to other HiFi venues) and prices are going down. These days you can buy pretty much transparent DAC for decent sum and competition is already doing some rather interesting things. There is a danger that when Geek is out it would not be "geekish" enough or competent any more. It's pure principle based on rapidly developing DAC market. I guess that VFM for early backers is absolutely fine, but people jumping late into the game may think twice actually.

Don't get me wrong. Not trying to bash LH Labs. It's just general perspective about the DAC market and funding the DAC projects in general. Let alone immense waiting time.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #3,917 of 13,800
Last few minutes of offer, whew! Actually already in for Soul Tube, took all my will power to hold off getting the Xfi with upgrades, especially since the step up deal. If I can get through the next few hours...working this morning, probably keep me too busy to obsess over it until it's over.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #3,918 of 13,800
I think we should come up with a Geek Pulse Perk version of 12 Days of Christmas......

"Five Naked Resistors!"

(You know you read it like the song!)

beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,919 of 13,800
  I am SURE nobody here wants to hear this, but I came SO close to pulling the trigger (from scratch... I'm not in at all) on a brand new pulse plus perk upgrade to Xfi.

Upon closer browsing of this thread, I see how long people have been waiting and on how this seems to be a moving target, and it just smacks of 'Ponzi' scheme.

Anyway, I'm just glad I showed some restraint for once in my life.... for all your sakes I hope I'm way off base here.

Good luck!

i wouldn't say that exactly since people are receiving their regular versions already, but they are only doing about 20 units a day so it will take a while.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,920 of 13,800
Just posted the latest update to the Geek Pulse campaign. All of the new perks are active for the FINAL day. Prices go up to retail at midnight tonight. Get what you can while you can.

http://bit.ly/GeekPulseFinalDay

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3,923 of 13,800
  Anyone else seriously interested in the Geek HPA? I've been waiting for that for a while. I'm hoping that Larry intends to use tubes and from what we were discussing at RMAF this year it seems highly probable.

+100 to all of that!
that's why I paid the $9 to get in on that info early and often.  

I suspect the SS headphone amp in Xfi (thd + NakedResistor) will be pretty good by itself, and external Geek Tube HPA would be a great external component.
but I'm not sure it would beat out my Lyr 2 !
time will tell.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #3,924 of 13,800

Does the Movin' On Up option change your queue position?  I'm considering movin' my SFI up to XFI.

I have no direct knowledge of this, so take this in that light. When I upgraded, my thought was that I would be put to the tail end of the line...
I think that they may treat it like a new order from a new (forever) campaign.

I would love to be wrong on this... but I don't think that I am. I also went with the THD perk... so I now am thinking March or April 2015 for delivery.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #3,925 of 13,800
so its the last day of the campaign and i've been on the fence if i should get the "movin' up perk" ever since it went live. i'm currently backing the base pulse and ive decided to stay where i'm at for a couple of reasons.

i'm not exactly what you'd call a audiophile head-fier and still on the journey of refining my tastes/preferences to what my personal perfect sound is.

while i do appreciate good sound and the technology behind these audio systems, i feel that my ears are still not experienced enough to go all in and appreciate, let alone, hear the improvements of TOTL gear therefore im holding on to my base pulse. i might be missing out on an outstanding deal at the moment but down the line, there's bound to be another campaign like this one, be it from lhlabs or a different company, and hopefully by that time, i'll be ready to go all in and enjoy the improvements.

another reason is that, as many have said before, getting perks and upgrading means getting pushed back in line and having to wait a little bit longer. and well, i dont want to have to wait a little bit longer :p

sorry it got TL;DR, just want to share my 2 cents.

P.S. if only the he-560 bundle came up before i bought mine, i probably end up upgrading to xfi :p

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #3,927 of 13,800
I have no direct knowledge of this, so take this in that light. When I upgraded, my thought was that I would be put to the tail end of the line...
I think that they may treat it like a new order from a new (forever) campaign.

I would love to be wrong on this... but I don't think that I am. I also went with the THD perk... so I now am thinking March or April 2015 for delivery.

I wouldn't be so sure about being bumped for the THD or naked perk. Larry said on the LH forums that they are hiring someone to help undertake the work.

http://lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/2797-geek-pulse-xfi-signature-edition-details?start=625#47898

It kind of makes sense that they would just get it done...

I don't think they will confirm/deny any of this because people would be upset either way.

To keep this thread focused on the Pulse I've made a thread for the HPA.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747942/geek-hpa-by-lh-labs

Back to your regularly scheduled Pulse talk.

It will be interesting to see what Larry does with this... See you in there.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #3,928 of 13,800

P.S. if only the he-560 bundle came up before i bought mine, i probably end up upgrading to xfi :p

That would definitely put you at the tail end of the line. You would also be still waiting for your 560s.
This is making me unhappy. All they needed to do was get them from Hifiman and ship them. Closing on 8 weeks later... nothing!

I tend to think your idea of staying with the standard Pulse is a good one. I was going to blow off the pulse completely until the 560 package.
Then I decided to go with the X so I could run in balanced mode. Then moving on up... Oh well Xfi.. darn THD sounds so cool... go for that too.
I did manage to keep my obsessive compulsive behavior in check enough to not go for the naked resistors...

I can wait for the Pulse, but really, really wish I had my HE 560s!

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3,929 of 13,800
Yeah but all values should already be under the hearing thresholds. Still, interested to read about your comparisons.

Yeah, probably. My guess is that it won't make very much of a difference at all when volume-matched. >.>
I guess we'll see when I get mine. Either I was foolish to get it and delay the shipment of my Xfi, or it was a worthy investment and those four resistors actually do make a difference.

I'm not in a rush to get a new DAC since I've been busy with the OPPO HA-2.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #3,930 of 13,800
so its the last day of the campaign and i've been on the fence if i should get the "movin' up perk" ever since it went live. i'm currently backing the base pulse and ive decided to stay where i'm at for a couple of reasons.

i'm not exactly what you'd call a audiophile head-fier and still on the journey of refining my tastes/preferences to what my personal perfect sound is.

while i do appreciate good sound and the technology behind these audio systems, i feel that my ears are still not experienced enough to go all in and appreciate, let alone, hear the improvements of TOTL gear therefore im holding on to my base pulse. i might be missing out on an outstanding deal at the moment but down the line, there's bound to be another campaign like this one, be it from lhlabs or a different company, and hopefully by that time, i'll be ready to go all in and enjoy the improvements.

another reason is that, as many have said before, getting perks and upgrading means getting pushed back in line and having to wait a little bit longer. and well, i dont want to have to wait a little bit longer :p

sorry it got TL;DR, just want to share my 2 cents.

My experience, from getting a Geek Out 1K and the Geek Out SE, is that the difference is not subtle, really significant upgrade sound wise and I don't think difficult to appreciate it. Having said that, I was happy with the sound of the 1k when I got it, but stopped listening when the SE came out.
(also bought a 560 very shortly before the offer, was bummed as well, but kept me from buying another Pulse-am waiting on the Soul Tube)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back