Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 29, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #3,063 of 13,800

Thanks for the info!
Is there any links on reference on the 1G vs 2G cable? I've read the difference is obvious against the 10G but nothing much compared to generic USB cables vs 1G and 2G.

Hmm.....Larry said once the following:

LightSpeed 2G USB cable vs. LightSpeed Jr. (1G) cable differences

1. Double the data bandwidth.
2. Add one power noise eliminator ferret
3. Split the data and power lines

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #3,065 of 13,800
  Gavin did say early on in the campaign, that the 10G was overkill for the pulse. Don't know if that would still apply to the pimped up Xfi though. I guess we'll only know when someone hears one.

All of them are probably overkill, especially for the price.
One is hard limited by the USB 2 protocol. If you have more bandwidth than you ever can use...

No cable flame wars desired..
Just saying..  A great way for LH to have a major profit center... 10 dollar to make cables for hundreds.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #3,066 of 13,800
How well you guys think it will sound with the hd 650? I know that the impedance is a bit too low.
On a side note I have a small n00by question: Can I use the DAC in the geek pulse without the amp?, meaning that I can use my Little Dot MK III as the amp and the geek pulse as the DAC.

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #3,067 of 13,800
  How well you guys think it will sound with the hd 650? I know that the impedance is a bit too low.
On a side note I have a small n00by question: Can I use the DAC in the geek pulse without the amp?, meaning that I can use my Little Dot MK III as the amp and the geek pulse as the DAC.

The impedance may not be too low, as it has switchable gain and should work well with most headphones. to use just the DAC, you'll need two RCA to RCA connector cables (or some other form of output, god knows the Pulse is loaded with them, especially X and upwards) to go from the DAC to your Little Dot.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #3,068 of 13,800
Can I use the DAC in the geek pulse without the amp?, meaning that I can use my Little Dot MK III as the amp and the geek pulse as the DAC.

As coletrain104 points out, no problem with that. Personally I'll be using my Pulse Xfi's line out, (when it turns up!) via RCA, into my Stax SRM-313 amp. (I can't see me using the Pulse's head amp any time soon.) I'm just getting parts together to build a KGST electrostatic amp, so, when that's finished, I'll be able to take advantage of the Xfi's balanced out.

It will be interesting to know how the sound quality of the Pulse head amp section compares to the Little Dot.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #3,069 of 13,800
So I understand the Pulse (and variants) will come with a 1G USB cable, but will the LPS/ LPS4 come with a USB cable as well?  I've backed the HE560, Pulse X and LPS4 but there isn't enough info out there on whats included etc. Logged a support ticket and they closed it without answering all the questions I had. The only answer was updates will happen once the campaign has closed.

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,071 of 13,800
So I understand the Pulse (and variants) will come with a 1G USB cable, but will the LPS/ LPS4 come with a USB cable as well?  I've backed the HE560, Pulse X and LPS4 but there isn't enough info out there on whats included etc. Logged a support ticket and they closed it without answering all the questions I had. The only answer was updates will happen once the campaign has closed.

The free 1G USB cable is only for the early backers in the earlier 1st and 2nd campaign. I don't think the Hifiman bundle includes the cable :frowning2:

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #3,073 of 13,800

I do not believe that the LPS will come with an USB cable.

It's not supposed to. They offered a discounted cable to backers of the LPS in the first and second campaigns.

Brian, you need to be the official historian for this IGG campaign...
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,075 of 13,800

Brian, you need to be the official historian for this IGG campaign...
biggrin.gif

Nooooope. I've made mistakes before when commenting on the campaign. I do err at times and I don't like misleading people. But I know of the discounted 1G because I took them up on the "special." :wink:

I lost track when they added the Fi to the X....LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back