Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 22, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2,191 of 13,800
Hmmm? Sounds good, but we ain't got prices yet!

If the Pulse is good enough to retail at up to $3.5K, then how much will a modified (again) Pulse cost. I've always been keen to keep the PSU separate in my gear, and this proposal does seem to go against that principal. I feel that If LH Labs want a product which could well end up $2-3K more expensive, (my wild guestimate!) then why not go the whole hog and create a new product?

Just go for it and push it up a notch, rather than tweaking the Pulse which, I'm hoping, is already excellent.

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,192 of 13,800
This announcement made my head hurt. All that 120% math and guessing at what it would cost to have (if I am understanding correctly) the retail unit.... o_O

Challenge accepted Gavin!

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,193 of 13,800
Hmmm? Sounds good, but we ain't got prices yet!

Exactly. The gap between the "steal" of a price we got Geek Pulse for vs the retail prices seems too high, which is fine for me as I have already secured my Geek Pulse X. But, if the retail prices are almost 5-10x the price we contributed for the Geek Pulse, then giving back 1.2x of what we originally contributed doesn't seem appealing. These new units should surely be heavily discounted or I just may be thinking about this the wrong way.

Either way, thanks lhlabs for the effort.

EDIT: just noticed someone made the same comment on lhlabs forum.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #2,196 of 13,800
So how many of our fellow backers are thinking to upgrade to the retail version?
I don't understand why do we even want to do it, if LH won't improve the performance much over the indiegogo version for the retail ones.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #2,197 of 13,800
  So how many of our fellow backers are thinking to upgrade to the retail version?
I don't understand why do we even want to do it, if LH won't improve the performance much over the indiegogo version for the retail ones.

not I.

with no LPS purchased (via IGG), no need for trade ins, spending more $$$ on more expensive revisions or all-in-one-cases that won't fit next to my computer anyhow.
pass.
although I can understand why some folks building their entire audio-room around Geek Pulse+ are intrigued.
good for them.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #2,198 of 13,800
I am actually thinking of the upgrade more in terms of resale value than performance improvements. I don't expect that there will be any increase in performance. I am not looking to sell my Pulse Xfi+LPS. But if something urgent comes up, it will be easier to sell these than a standalone Pulse or LPS. As long as the upgrade cost is reasonable, why not go for it?

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #2,199 of 13,800
while the possibility of an option to upgrade to a "fancier" or more polished retail model is interesting, i can't say i'm all in on it yet, just not enough info
more will be revealed in due time

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #2,200 of 13,800
The reason people are upset is because it was supposed to be a $399 product, and now it is a $3500 product with 21 (IIRC) variations that have resulted in extensive delays. It really boils down to that.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #2,201 of 13,800
  The reason people are upset is because it was supposed to be a $399 product, and now it is a $3500 product with 21 (IIRC) variations that have resulted in extensive delays. It really boils down to that.

And to add further insult to injury, some of us have received emails asking us to upgrade our Pulse configuration to a higher spec one as they won't be producing my PAID FOR configuration. In my case for my (basic) Pulse with Internal Amp Upgrade, I have been asked to pay another $99 to get a Femto upgrade. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #2,202 of 13,800
  I am actually thinking of the upgrade more in terms of resale value than performance improvements. I don't expect that there will be any increase in performance. I am not looking to sell my Pulse Xfi+LPS. But if something urgent comes up, it will be easier to sell these than a standalone Pulse or LPS. As long as the upgrade cost is reasonable, why not go for it?

Why should selling the Pulse Xfi withouth LPS be a problem?

I have a Pulse S/f/i in the pipeline, and since these will  be produced for IGG backers only and wont go retail, these will have collectors value also :)

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,203 of 13,800

I have a Pulse S/f/i in the pipeline, and since these will  be produced for IGG backers only and wont go retail, these will have collectors value also :)

Yes, Pulse futures! I wish I'd bought more now. A massive gap between price paid and retail, so I can't see any problems in selling at a reasonable profit, if, and a big if, the sound lives up to that price.

Looks like this is the current Pulse line-up;

1. Pulse
2. Pulse fi (femto + internal amp upgrade)
3. Pulse Sfi (femto + internal amp upgrade)
4. Pulse X
5. Pulse Xfi (femto + internal amp upgrade)

A bit more sensible, but unfortunate for those who backed the other configurations.

There's a little devil on my shoulder suggesting that this could be a way of extracting a little more cash out of people, and to enable LH Labs to produce a "pretty" version of the Pulse which will be easier to manufacture and sell. Maybe I shouldn't listen to the devil, and believe that this is a generous gesture to give the Geek Force a better, more rounded, product.

BTW, I'm just in this for a decent DAC, so if the Pulse Xfi does the job, it would have to be "not too much money" to persuade me to upgrade yet again. Damn, that tube buffer sounds tempting.

If it carries on like this, we'll all end up with Da Vinci's in around ten years time!

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2,204 of 13,800

I have a Pulse S/f/i in the pipeline, and since these will  be produced for IGG backers only and wont go retail, these will have collectors value also
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I'm just in this for a decent DAC, so if the Pulse Xfi does the job, it would have to be "not too much money" to persuade me to upgrade yet again. Damn, that tube buffer sounds tempting.

If it carries on like this, we'll all end up with Da Vinci's in around ten years time!

True dat. I've always wanted to get to play with different DACs and this was funded long before Yggy came closer to reality.  Love the comment on the Da Vinci
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,205 of 13,800
I thought LH's reason for doing crowd-funding was to bring affordable high resolution to the masses. Now they're jacking the prices to the stratospheric high end levels which they were supposedly against. I expect the one box model to cost even more. The new price tag doesn't make me feel like I got a better deal on the Pulse. It makes me wonder what they're going tell us next?

Why did it take a year to realize they needed to have a retail 5X what they originally planned? I'd like to see the BOM and cost estimates to make these things. Not including all the money wasted on overhyped marketing and day to day operational costs from their massive expansion, TV interviews & catered office parties. 

Mytek has had a Sabre based DSD dac on the market for years @  $1,500. So it can be done. LH thought it could be done for even less when they started the campaign. What happened?

At $3,500+ there are other options from companies which are more organized and know where they're going. Sorry but I have serious doubts in the abilities of LH to properly plan, follow through and deliver products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back