Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,396 of 13,800
Looks like I will have my LPS several months prior to my Pulse X:

"Projected Shipping Dates

Over the course of the campaign, we went from offering one product to offering 21! Obviously, this presents us with a bit of a logistics challenge. So let me start the update by giving you projected ship dates for all the different products.
  1. Music:The recording had to be pushed back from December to April due to scheduling conflicts between our recording company and the school. Our recording date has been scheduled for April 11, 2014. It will take us at least until the end of April before we can start sending out download links. We anticipate delivery between April 30th and May 15th.
  2. Geek Pulse, Geek Pulse w/ femto upgrade, Geek Pulse w/ amp upgrade, and Geek Pulse w/ both femto and amp upgrades:For Geek Pulse products, our vendors have repeatedly told us that they prefer to do one product at a time in order. We've decided that the order will be Geek Pulse, then Geek Pulse X, then Geek Pulse S. We anticipate Geek Pulse units to ship between June 15th and July 15th.
  3. Geek Pulse X, Geek Pulse X w/ femto upgrade, Geek Pulse X w/ amp upgrade, and Geek Pulse X w/ both femto and amp upgrades:We anticipate Geek Pulse X units to ship between July 15th and August 15th.
  4. Geek Pulse S, Geek Pulse S w/ femto upgrade, Geek Pulse S w/ amp upgrade, and Geek Pulse S w/ both femto and amp upgrades:We anticipate Geek Pulse S units to ship between August 15th and September 15th.
  5. Geek Blue:We anticipate Geek Blue units to ship between April 30th and May 30th.
  6. Geek LPS:We anticipate Geek LPS units to ship between April 30th and May 30th.
  7. Geek LPS 4:We anticipate Geek LPS 4 units to ship between April 30th and May 30th.
  8. LightSpeed USB 1G (LightSpeed Jr.):We anticipate LightSpeed USB 1G units to ship between April 30th and May 30th.
  9. LightSpeed USB 2G:We anticipate LightSpeed USB 2G units to ship between April 30th and May 30th.
  10. LightSpeed S/PDIF:We anticipate LightSpeed S/PDIF units to ship between April 30th and May 30th.
  11. LightSpeed AES:We anticipate LightSpeed AES units to ship between April 30th and May 30th.
  12. Slacker Mini:We anticipate Slacker Mini units to ship between April 30th and May 30th."

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #1,397 of 13,800
Yeah, a big bummer for us backers... Hopefully this extra time due to delay can bring Larry Ho the chance to squeeze the most performance out of the design..

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #1,399 of 13,800
For me that sounds almost too fast, let´s see.
If they do not want to use the pcb both-sides (I guess because of solid ground planes and ease of manufacturing) and if they do not want to make the enclosure bigger, they can maybe stack the pcb´s. A good consumer-product I had in my hands and saw on this was the "old & original" big external firewire iSight from apple. It is crowded inside, all stacked up and sidewards. There are really good industry connectors nowadays. Some of the big audio-receiver feature as well "slot-card" places. Would keep the unit small and handy even though for repair or maintenance it would be a bit more difficult. The only thing with that is corrosion on contacts over time, but if - what I hope - the pcb´s get the industry gold-immersed guess corrosion is less likely.

Now it is too late, but the more I think about it i2s via an ethernet-plug would have been more future-proof then toslink. Sad nobody suggested it back last year, when there was time for suggestions.
After reading again around and seeing more and more dacs with an USB-A input for iDevices, I am glad the unit does not feature this like some others do, because it seems even with "onkyo hf" there is still no real way to get high resolution audio out of such a device.

YBA´s latest dac has very similar I/O like xfa-version, would be a nice comparison.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #1,400 of 13,800
Two or three months delay is ok by me.  As long as the dates don't keep getting moved.  The positive impressions of the geek out on lhlabs have me excited.  Can't wait for my pulse x 

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,401 of 13,800
gavin has a new video explaining the current situation with the geek pulses.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-pulse-a-digital-audio-awesomifier-for-your-desktop-2?c=activity

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,402 of 13,800
  Two or three months delay is ok by me.  As long as the dates don't keep getting moved.  The positive impressions of the geek out on lhlabs have me excited.  Can't wait for my pulse x 

Where did you find impressions, uncola.  AFAICT, there is only one post the geek out thread.  I am really curious about impressions, but apparently most of the 100 people who received theirs are keeping it for themselves... :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,403 of 13,800
walfredo it was just the one poster on lhlabs, Anthony S.  he said he has dt770 250ohm.  he didn't mention if he ever heard a headphone amp before so for all I know he's a noob.  Here's what he posted, again this is about the geek out 1000ma edition not the geek pulse.  link http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/kickstartergeekout/866-who-received-the-geek-out?start=50#13508

"installed the driver and am giving it a test run as I type. This is truly a magnificent little device. The sound is crisp and very alive. I listen to chillout/chillstep music typically, some very experimental sounding music. Currently I'm listening to Gravity by ChouChou and it's like being transported to another space entirely. The music envelops the entire headphone space, the bass is rich, the mids are present but not overpowering, the treble is perfect and crisp, everything works together evenly to create a rich atmosphere of sonic goodness.

The only thing I'd have concern about is the heat, when plugged in this can get rather hot. If it's elevated on a cooler surface that helps tremendously. Testing out 'Moon City' by Atlum Schema next. I've been using FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files. Extreme clarity. As a producer myself this will be interesting to use. Might test out my song 'People Will Do People Things' and see how that sounds through the GeekOut as well. It's like hearing with new ears. I've been using an X-Fi GoPro HD for quite awhile because my headphone jack died, there was a lot to be desired but it allowed me basic listening.

The GeekOut is immersive and intense. Be careful though, mind the warning in the package about volume. The Super Duper Geek will blast you out of your chair if you make a mistake with it. I pushed one of the buttons on the side of the device and the volume lunged in intensity. Well worth the wait. I'm glad the driver issue was resolved in a timely manner also.

Edit: Listening to my track currently and it definitely emphasizes all that I put into it as far as detail goes. Nothing gets lost in the mix, just flows steadily. The bass is quite rich and expanding. When the kick hits it's as if it moves outwards, something I didn't notice or couldn't notice with my former setup. Attaching this as well for those who may want to listen."

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,405 of 13,800
Very well spotted! 

Missed those when I watched the update.  
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #1,408 of 13,800
Yep was looking at those and not Gavin's face. Gives you an idea but those are old designs.

Interesting that "triangle" design at the bottom.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,409 of 13,800
Found another Geek Out 1000ma impression in the SF Bay Area Meet impressions thread.. this time by ZeroDeefex who I think is a well known guy
edit: sorry if this is old news, miceblue even posted on this page of this thread hah

"Quote:
Oooh, exciting. Light Harmonic was there with their Geek Out (1 W power output), no?

Did anyone get the opportunity to try that with headphones other than the LCD-XC?

As a preview, yes, I tried the high powered Super Duper Geek Out variant with my HD800s. Absolutely stomps on the Herus, MicroStreamer, Audioengine D1, Audioengine D3, DragonFly, Explorer, and DACPort when paired with the HD800. I own all of them and will be selling the lot once I get the Geek Out and post my review."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back