Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 8, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,261 of 13,800

I'm not entirely sure what the 300 are aside from 300 people on the Geek Force. :p All I know is that I am not one.

i think it's the first 300 to post on lhlabs, i didn't even know about it, and it said somewhere if you can see this, you are one
i could see it

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,262 of 13,800

i think it's the first 300 to post on lhlabs, i didn't even know about it, and it said somewhere if you can see this, you are one
i could see it

You're correct about the 300.  It was members that were the first 300 to create/post a topic on the forum.  I'm a member of both and the most info I have regarding the "item" for being member of the $1500 club is a "laser sintered thing" whatever that is.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,263 of 13,800
You're correct about the 300.  It was members that were the first 300 to create/post a topic on the forum.  I'm a member of both and the most info I have regarding the "item" for being member of the $1500 club is a "laser sintered thing" whatever that is.

Well that sounds interesting at least. Hopefully they get mine updated soon since I've paid my whole pledge now and total over $1500. Didn't want LH to deal with a second helping of paypal fees next month.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #1,265 of 13,800
without question the Femto clock is better ,just look up a Femto second  vs Pico seconds . this more accuarate the signal
the more information, as well as less jitter-digital noise.how much is the upgrade $150?  the prices have come way down 3 years ago this clock would cost $3,000 before installation. MSB they should spellit back wards BS for they Machine a Big red cover for the Gallaxy clock it is only 5 Femto seconds less and want like $5,000 so what a separate bigger power supply maybe $500 in total parts X 10 markup.
This is extreme I am making a point .for $150 or les go for it is a state of the art upgrade.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #1,266 of 13,800
  without question the Femto clock is better ,just look up a Femto second  vs Pico seconds . this more accuarate the signal
the more information, as well as less jitter-digital noise.how much is the upgrade $150?  the prices have come way down 3 years ago this clock would cost $3,000 before installation. MSB they should spellit back wards BS for they Machine a Big red cover for the Gallaxy clock it is only 5 Femto seconds less and want like $5,000 so what a separate bigger power supply maybe $500 in total parts X 10 markup.
This is extreme I am making a point .for $150 or les go for it is a state of the art upgrade.

Technically, sure, but does it make an audible difference? Hell I'd even love to see good evidence of a measurable difference.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,268 of 13,800
  Here's a decent video that goes into a little detail about how jitter impacts the sound, and why a high grade clock is important.

Technically, sure, but does it make an audible difference? Hell I'd even love to see good evidence of a measurable difference.

i did not opt for the femto upgrade. like dclaz, i understand that technically, a femto clock is "better" than a clock that ranges in the pico range. however, i am dubious that anyone can hear the difference between a well-designed DAC that utilizes a femto clock vs. a well-designed DAC that uses a clock that "only" registers in the pico range. i believe that the standard clock employed in the geek pulse is more than adequate. i understand that there are people who want to have the best of everything so as to maximize the potential of their system, and i have no problem with that. but i remain dubious that 99.9% of people can hear the difference between the clocks in question.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #1,269 of 13,800
It's an interesting conversation. You could literally say that about every single part inside of a DAC. Dubious as to whether or not 99.9% of people can hear the difference in a well designed DAC between better power supply components, better diodes, capacitors, resistors, op amps, dac chip, etc... But obviously by that logic, at some point you end up with a completely different product.

I agree that sometimes in a well designed product, the sum is greater than the individual parts. Having said that, I'm on board for maximizing the potential of this thing!  

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #1,270 of 13,800
Yeah I'm skeptical of the femto clock upgrade as well. It reminds me of the limits of human hearing, which is related to this video that a fellow Head-Fier posted. It may seem better in theory and on paper, but can it actually be heard?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoiiKZkcHME[/video]

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #1,271 of 13,800
  It's an interesting conversation. You could literally say that about every single part inside of a DAC. Dubious as to whether or not 99.9% of people can hear the difference in a well designed DAC between better power supply components, better diodes, capacitors, resistors, op amps, dac chip, etc... But obviously by that logic, at some point you end up with a completely different product.

I agree that sometimes in a well designed product, the sum is greater than the individual parts. Having said that, I'm on board for maximizing the potential of this thing!  

but isn't that the whole "problem" with this jitter business? that people are pinpointing a minuscule part of the whole system and claiming such large sonic differences? and then people are willing to pay relatively large sums of money for this one change? i suppose it's no different than me opting for the best caps and resistors, etc. when i build my DIY amps, but even then i know that the sonic differences are probably not going to be minimal at best and most likely will be inaudible - i just want to build the "best" amp i can for the money.

like i said, i have no issues with people upgrading to the femto to get the best possible system...i'm just skeptical of some of the claims that people make about the differences they hear. that's all...

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #1,272 of 13,800
I did get the femto clock upgrade... I did not get the lightspeed 2G usb cable, mainly for lack of money, but also for the same reasons you guys just talked about.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,273 of 13,800
I did get the femto clock upgrade... I did not get the lightspeed 2G usb cable, mainly for lack of money, but also for the same reasons you guys just talked about.

Likewise... although I was at the Bay Area meet yesterday, and I won the grand prize in the raffle: a Lightspeed USB cable (you know, the split one that is 0.8 meters long and costs $1k).

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,274 of 13,800
  Likewise... although I was at the Bay Area meet yesterday, and I won the grand prize in the raffle: a Lightspeed USB cable (you know, the split one that is 0.8 meters long and costs $1k).

Whoa, congrats Uzi! That'll pair nicely with your Pulse X. Jealous that people at the meet got to see the Light Harmonic table. Anything excellent on there, such as a completed Geek Out for demo? I've been watching for an impressions thread but I haven't seen one pop up just yet.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,275 of 13,800

Congratulations uzi!

Again, if I had the money I would have upgraded, even if I was doubtful of its performance over the LightSpeedJr. which should still be perfectly fine for the Pulse.  Could you share some quick comments on its benefits to your system?  PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back