Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #931 of 13,800
I'm also super happy they hit 1 million.  Now what the hell do these passive upgrades do?  Since I'm getting the X I also get the upgrades:  
Nichicon Muse capacitors in the decoupling stage, and the analog stage will feature a dual mono, high-bias class A module with high-precision, non inductive Caddock resistors. 

are the new capacitors and resistors better or worse than the ones for the X?

Super-low ESR grade Nichicon capacitors in the power rails.  
Upgraded film capacitors to power supply bypass & decoupler.  
Upgraded COG ceramic capacitors near all critical digital IC's.  
0.5% tightly-matched resistors throughout the signal path.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #933 of 13,800
Dec 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #935 of 13,800
  Do you know the exact list of mods?
So.. the output stage is op-amp based? that's not exactly high-end:)
Will these opamps be socket-ed?
Ah, and the promo message said "best". What are the best opamps? Maybe Muses ....

It can be if implemented properly.  The Resonessence Labs Invicta uses opamps and I don't think anyone accuses it of not being high end.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #936 of 13,800
Well I went all in to do my part getting over $1M. I really was going to stop after the Pulse X, but now I'm in for the Femto, active components, LPS, and an extra Lightspeed Jr. Sigh.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #939 of 13,800
Well I went all in to do my part getting over $1M. I really was going to stop after the Pulse X, but now I'm in for the Femto, active components, LPS, and an extra Lightspeed Jr. Sigh.

I'm in the exact same position. I started out backing the pulse/out combo and "that was it." Then they introduced the LPS. "Yeah, I'm good with the SMPS for now, maybe get the LPS later." Then the femto clock came. "Well, I can't add this after the campaign, so I'll get it now." Afterwards it was confirmed that the Pulse X would have RCA out. "Well, I do have Alpha Dogs coming soon and I've wanted to balance my HD650s. May as well upgrade to the X." A short while later information about the $1M stretch goal and the Instant $1M perk was made available. "Hot damn, yes I want the best opamp I can get in my Pulse. Count me in!" At this point I was done. I was positive, 100% certain, that I wouldn't spend more. But the tides made a twister turn when those marketing geniuses at LH Labs unveiled the LPS payment plan. "My wallet! Come back! Don't leave me!" It was then that I found myself yet again spending my precious currency on an LPS and an additional USB cable.

At this point in my journey I am 120% certain that I need not spend any more funds on upgrading the Pulse. But I fear that my Larry and his team may once more squeeze a little bit of life from my wallet. To quote the siren of my billfold, "So I post a question in another thread inside Indiegogo campaign category. Is there any perk we left behind that you guys think we should add in? During last 24 hours, sometimes little miracle will happen. :wink:" How will this story end? Only Larry and crew know. As for me, I cower in fear in the corner; clutching my pocketbook closely to my chest in terror that it may betray me yet again. What will happen? When will it end? Oh the humanity!

Ok Larry, bring on the perk if you have one in mind. :wink:

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #940 of 13,800
Just a small question. I do not need an headphone amp (my SR-80i isn't a power greedy) but I could be interested in the RCA output of the Geek Pulse.

I currently own an ESI Juli@ that happily feeds my hi-fi setup (Rotel+Focal). To me the clear difference this board has with Light Harmonic is on audio format compatibility, but so far I do not own any DXD files (or infact any audio stream that go above 24-bit 192Khz).

So technically speaking I do not need the Geek Pulse... but here comes the sound part. I know the following question is always difficult, highly contextual at least: could I hear or not a significant sound difference between the ESI and a Pulse? What do you guys think?

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #941 of 13,800
Focal speakers are very good, I'd think you would be able to distinguish quality differences between dacs and this dac should be extremely good

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #942 of 13,800
@AxelCloris and Fraggler
I'm with you Bro!

About OpAmps, few pages back, Larry answered of his implementation.

Well what can I say....

Congratulations to US! It has been truly a Magical Ride.

Now I can have my Active components! Ar Ar Ar Ar..

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #943 of 13,800
I really wanted to jump on the Geek Pulse X plus pay plan but I don't get paid until the monday after the campaign ends.  If they had put these perks out earlier I would likely have sold my Soloist to fund it and make do with a Schiit Magni in the meantime.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #945 of 13,800
Moar perks! Wooo

Just few hours to wait:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back