Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Sep 15, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #11,746 of 13,800

My Infinity 2.0 RCA outs are fine.  The review references the XFi rather than the Infinity but I wouldn't think that would be an issue for the RCA outs.

True!  I wouldn't think there would, nor should be a MAJOR difference in the quality of the RCA output in the XFi versus the Infinity, though.  

So far so good... couple of you are finding the RCA outs to be fine.  Anyone else had a chance to compare the quality of the RCA out versus XLR on their Infinity?

Thanks so much!! 

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #11,747 of 13,800

Here.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/01/30/review-aune-s16-dac/

Mr. Karavitis may have had a malfunctioning XFi as I've not heard any complaints regarding the SE RCA outs on that model or the Infinity.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #11,748 of 13,800
The circuits are totally separate and not just one leg of the balanced output.
My amp has both RCA and XLR, it can pick up hum sometimes with RCA. Think it is emitting noise that the cables pick up. It sounds better balanced no matter what Dac/preamp is used.
I use another amp that only has SE inputs. It seemed fine with the RCA connection.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #11,749 of 13,800
Sorry, if this has been discussed here before.... 783 pages are a lot to even flip through. Saw one Pulse X for sell and would like to know how everyone think. And the first page of specs caught my eyes.
Is the The 3D Awesomifier (crossfeed) any good?
I just don't get the point of being dual mono and balanced outputs for the maximum channel separation posssible and then you mix in a little bit of left and right for "magic"? Please help me understand this.
Personally, I can't stand any headphone output that has even any hint of crossfeed. They sound unnatural to me.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #11,750 of 13,800
Sorry Bro need to update the first page.

On their honest attempt to provide a reliable crossfeed the designer decided later to drop it in favor of digital filters.

It was first implemented on the Geek Out line and WE as part of crowd designing fealt that this was a better option (take away crossfeed and implement digital filters).

And thus was implemented too on the Geek Pulse (as I have remembered).

Will update the first page on these days.. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #11,751 of 13,800
Not to disagree, but I think the actual reason for the change on the 1st Geek Out was because of volume issues...if I remember correctly (and I may not, these days :xf_eek: ) the original reason for the buttons was as a volume control, but there was the GO issue of getting blasted by full volume periodically (which I don't think was ever fully resolved, LH says it is a Windows issue). I think the filters were added on as a sort of compensation for the problems we were having (and to get some use out of the buttons, now that they were no longer controlling volume). Still, it was a nice addition (not that I change them a whole lot, or could even tell you what they are set to now...)

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #11,752 of 13,800
Yep Doc, thanks for reminding me....IT WAS those volume issues on GO.

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #11,753 of 13,800
Anyone has done compare with caval carbon against Xfi need to see if they can efficiently drive HE1K

Well, I have the Infinity 2.0 version and I don't like it with my HEK. I used 2 separate amps and kept the Infinity in DAC only mode and as a set it sounded much better.

That's not exactly what you're asking, but I'm saying the Pulse isn't a great DACamp combo, but it is a very decent DAC if you use a separate amp.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #11,754 of 13,800
My Xfinity 2.0 display just went out and I want to change gain setting and I'm navigating blind, can anyone please help me through the steps? I mean how many turns to reach HP gain setting etc? Thanks.

EDIT: Turns out my dial and display died, anyone from SEA region got any idea what should I do? Is there any way to change gain setting through software means?

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #11,755 of 13,800
  My Xfinity 2.0 display just went out and I want to change gain setting and I'm navigating blind, can anyone please help me through the steps? I mean how many turns to reach HP gain setting etc? Thanks.

EDIT: Turns out my dial and display died, anyone from SEA region got any idea what should I do? Is there any way to change gain setting through software means?

Unfortunately no, there is no way to change the headphone gain settings without the dial.

Are you connecting the Pulse directly to the computer and wall outlet, or is there a LPS in-between? If there is a LPS, try connecting the Pulse directly on the slim chance it is not getting enough power from the LPS.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #11,756 of 13,800

Bummer

Happened to me... Had to send it back. Apparently some resistors blew or had to be replaced. Hopefully they fixed the real problem. Not just replaced the failed part, only for it to fail again.

I've heard about a few failing this way.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #11,757 of 13,800
Bummer

Happened to me... Had to send it back. Apparently some resistors blew or had to be replaced. Hopefully they fixed the real problem. Not just replaced the failed part, only for it to fail again.

I've heard about a few failing this way

Same thing happened with mine as well.  It had to go back.  Now I am waiting for Matt from LH support to issue an RMA number to deal with my dead LPS.  It has been over a month since I started the ticket and I have not heard back from LH in over two weeks.

I feel your pain.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #11,758 of 13,800
  Same thing happened with mine as well.  It had to go back.  Now I am waiting for Matt from LH support to issue an RMA number to deal with my dead LPS.  It has been over a month since I started the ticket and I have not heard back from LH in over two weeks.

I feel your pain.

I have 3 infinities that I'm waiting for an RMA on since March.  MARCH!!!  

Not surprised that their so called China service center is a total joke because theres nobody there to receive anything.  

LHL I hope you guys drop dead.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #11,760 of 13,800
This thread has convinced me to sell my Wave as soon as I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back