Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 11, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #10,636 of 13,800
I have the Geek Out 1K, and the Geek Out Special Edition. The latter has the femto clock (there are other upgrades in components to the SE as well, but I think the biggest change is the Femto). It is no contest, the Femto version is MUCH better than the regular 1K (which I liked). I'd guess the Femtos do their magic in the other LH designs as well.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #10,637 of 13,800
I got myself an infinity from a backer, as well as a Jays LPS, thinking it was the ****. I tried very hard to be impressed. After running it on for 200 hours, I borrowed a Chord Hugo from a friend, and the moment I switched over, I made the decision to jump onto the Chord bandwagon, never looked back since. It was an easy decision for me, I just found the Chord to be so much better both musically and technically.

Some say you have to go 500 hrs.  I'm still on my 12th hour so we'll see.

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #10,638 of 13,800
I'd say that while I really like the new case, I really wish they had cut the width down to half the standard with. Then two could sit side by side in a standard rack.

Agreed. I do think that the width of the 2.0 chassis was a big mistake. It really should have been 8.5 inches, or possibly as much as 9 inches and still could be placed side by side and fit in with most rack equipment and on most racks. At 10.25 inches, there are many racks that you cannot place two units side by side on one shelf.

I brought this up here and in the Geek Force forums when they first published the size. Unfortunately, my comments were heard but ignored. Oh well... I tried, as did several other members.

J.P.

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #10,640 of 13,800
  Hi marflao, I haven´t compared them since I own an XFI, but what I can say is  I´ve compared the FRM (Frequency Response Mode) and FTM (Femto Time Mode) digital filter modes and FRM sounds "too digital" and not too pleasing for me, whereas Femto is simply fantastic, no contest.

Thanks Narayan23,

I´m also a XFI user but hadn´t have the chance to compare it to another Pulse without Femtos yet.
The reason why I asked about the "Femto effect" is that I also backed the Source with 2 Femtos and trying to figure out if I need the 3rd one.

Guess some people can say if I already backed two Femtos why not the third.
Valid point but over the time I´ve been "involved" with the LHL campaigns I "matured" a bit wrt my money and won´t spend anything based on a hype/bandwagon/lemming style I - i must admit - did in the past.

Therefore I´m hesitating to give them another $109 :wink:

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #10,641 of 13,800
I got myself an infinity from a backer, as well as a Jays LPS, thinking it was the ****. I tried very hard to be impressed. After running it on for 200 hours, I borrowed a Chord Hugo from a friend, and the moment I switched over, I made the decision to jump onto the Chord bandwagon, never looked back since. It was an easy decision for me, I just found the Chord to be so much better both musically and technically.

Was contemplating the Yggy + Raggy too when it was announced.  It was just the size that keeps me turning off (desktop use). But, taking aside the production/distribution woes, at 1K(total contribution), its hard to beat. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #10,642 of 13,800
The Pulse 2.0 chassis was designed to fit several products in the line, including the tube headphone amp. The height of the tubes defined the height of the chassis. The depth was originally made to fit the Pulse DAC board. I don't know what criteria they used to select the unnecessarily wide footprint for most of the Pulse products. They were going to use the same basic chassis for all Pulse products. This would have forced them to redesign the LPS, as its board is somewhat longer than the DAC, however they appear to have mde a separate chassis for the LPS that is longer to fit the LPS boards. I dind it unfortunate that they chose the wide and not deep footprint that they did. Also unnecessary is the same height for all components, just because one (the tube headphone amp) required a tall enclosure. There is a lot of wasted space in most of the units.

As for the current and apparently final design of the Source... Good lord, that thing is HUGE! I do like the large display, but the width most definitely takes it out of the desktop category.

J.P.

When I was first reading your post I was thinking "well he's just being dumb, obviously they picked that chassis so that all their new and upcoming components will fit in the same one. Achieving volume purchases on the cases. Just like they more or less inferred" However, now that I see the LPS4(and LPS8, since they use the same chassis) is using a different shaped one, then I'm also like What, why? The Pulse Infinity(and entire Pulse DAC lineup) should be half the height it is now. Those could all be short, then the taller ones could be tall. 

If I was really thinking about it they probably just worked out a deal with minimal alterations where they needed to be as a compromise with the manufacturer. That way they probably still get them for a similar price, but have the changes where they need them. I just guess now that I see how much is empty there, they could have maybe chosen differently. In the end if I had to pick V1 chassis or V2 though, it's V2 hands down. Maybe the extra width gives me some room for modding~~~

Besides that, the Source is a lot wider and bigger than I expected. Again though, that's alright. Let's just hope it's packing everything it needs to be.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #10,643 of 13,800

Thanks Narayan23,

I´m also a XFI user but hadn´t have the chance to compare it to another Pulse without Femtos yet.
The reason why I asked about the "Femto effect" is that I also backed the Source with 2 Femtos and trying to figure out if I need the 3rd one.

Guess some people can say if I already backed two Femtos why not the third.
Valid point but over the time I´ve been "involved" with the LHL campaigns I "matured" a bit wrt my money and won´t spend anything based on a hype/bandwagon/lemming style I - i must admit - did in the past.

Therefore I´m hesitating to give them another $109 :wink:

I absolutely relate, I stopped at he XFI and didn´t go to Infinity because I was unsure if further investment would provide discernable sound quality improvements and to be honest I got REALLY tired of perk after perk after perk, what finally pissed me off  was I invested $160 in a Lightning 2G cable perk when in the end I could have spent that money towards an Infinity upgrade and goten the Lightning 2G for free with it, I told LHLabs this and was brushed away by Gavin Fish.

Regarding the third Femto, initially from what I understand there were two Femtos in charge of re-clocking ALL the digital outputs, now a third one is offered "just for USB 3" which is what most people use and should have been included in the first place, $109 bucks doesn´t seem like much but when you do it two or three times it adds up. 

Appologies for the rant by the way, it just pisses me off that some guys here are still waiting for their Pulse Dac´s more than two years after initial investment, I´ve also come to hate the word perk 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I wish you good luck and may the Source be with you.... 

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #10,644 of 13,800
Appologies for the rant by the way, it just pisses me off that some guys here are still waiting for their Pulse Dac´s more than two years after initial investment, I´ve also come to hate the word perk :bigsmile_face: . I wish you good luck and may the Source be with you.... 

No apologies needed. I'm sure everyone here has some anger towards LH, they brought it all on themselves and deserve all they get.

What pissed me off the most was being sold on a desktop DAC so I pass on the Vi DAC only to have the Pulse and everything else get forced into the 2.0 chassis and ruining any chance of it being on a desktop, but of course no mention of this was made until it was to late and now we can't change or get a refund so some get screwed. It was the same with the Source, only find out that it needs a LPS4 once it was raised in price and then being vague as hell when we ask questions so we're forced to back stuff just to ensure we don't miss out.

So rant away, they deserve all this and more

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #10,645 of 13,800
So, wait, you need LPS for the Source? (I assume you don't "need' it, but it would make it sound better). That's a bit annoying for those of us who DID go for the Vi, which has built in LPS, so you gave up the LPS when you upgraded. Do I now need to buy an LPS?
(not that anything has arrived yet, Vi Tube seems to be at the end of the list, Source seemed to be imminent, but haven't heard any news about it shipping for a while).
OH well...

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #10,646 of 13,800
So, wait, you need LPS for the Source? (I assume you don't "need' it, but it would make it sound better). That's a bit annoying for those of us who DID go for the Vi, which has built in LPS, so you gave up the LPS when you upgraded. Do I now need to buy an LPS?
(not that anything has arrived yet, Vi Tube seems to be at the end of the list, Source seemed to be imminent, but haven't heard any news about it shipping for a while).
OH well...

Yep it's now recommended, and there's no more LPS's so it's etheir a LPS4 or LPS8 from them unless you buy one from the many unhappy with all that is LH Labs. The best part is they made is so vague at first so people didn't know if they'd need a LPS or a LPS4 thereby forcing them to grab the higher priced LPS4. Source now takes a 1.2a and a 0.5a slot on a LPS or LPS4.
The trading in the LPS4 and the confusion they created and BS deadlines stopped me from backing the Vi, though they got me to buy a 2nd LPS4 later anyways so I should of stuck with the Vi... I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it all again 
angry_face.gif

Source has it's own campaign page now if you wanna check it out
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-source-the-ultimate-hd-music-server/x/1729175#/story

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #10,647 of 13,800
I guess that is how you "upgrade" to the third Femto, bugs me a bit as well. Think I'm already in for what was originally the TOTL Source, don't really want to spend more LH Labs money, but, but, but...

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #10,648 of 13,800
I like my Infinity. Had this for a number of months now. Enjoy it Everyday. 

Behind it, is the LPS.  Vertical position traps less dust, and occupies less than half the usual footprint.  NICE! 
Never had any problems/issues since I got it.  Swapped-out all caps for Mundorf and Blackgates, And working on adding 2 pairs of Duelund on the line-out.

Brought the Infinity to a Mini Head-fi Meet last December.   Together with a Pulse Signature Edition and other fabulous DACs, to compare.  
The Infinity got tons of praise and appreciation. Hoping to meeting you guys at the 2016 Singapore Canjam.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #10,649 of 13,800
Waiting on my Vi Tube Dac Signature, nice to hear the positive impressions.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #10,650 of 13,800
  I like my Infinity. Had this for a number of months now. Enjoy it Everyday. 

Behind it, is the LPS.  Vertical position traps less dust, and occupies less than half the usual footprint.  NICE! 
Never had any problems/issues since I got it.  Swapped-out all caps for Mundorf and Blackgates, And working on adding 2 pairs of Duelund on the line-out.

Brought the Infinity to a Mini Head-fi Meet last December.   Together with a Pulse Signature Edition and other fabulous DACs, to compare.  
The Infinity got tons of praise and appreciation. Hoping to meeting you guys at the 2016 Singapore Canjam.

Amazing work, man, and smart thinking putting it vertical. That's an easy solution with the current 2.0 chassis that should work fine for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back