Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 14, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #10,666 of 13,800
Some claim that the better the DAC the less the difference between 16/44 and high res. That is to say that there is a lot of information in 16/44 tracks that lesser DACs do not render but better DACs do. My experience tends to validate this claim. That is not to say that high res music is not better, rather to say that it is more significant, and often more cost effective too to upgrade to a better DAC than to replace existing CD tracks in your library with high res tracks.

A better DAC is rarely overkill, although the price on many IS! :)

J.P.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #10,667 of 13,800
  Sound science question from a woefully undereducated head-fier:

90% of my music library is 16/44, maybe 5% mp3 320, and the remaining 5% is 24/48 or better. Is having a DAC as capable as the Pulse overkill for redbook files? I'll probably never own any DSD recordings and I can't imagine owning many recordings that are better than 24/48.

Someone help a dummy out!

The Pulse does DSD extremely well, you owe it to yourself to give it a listen as you should a good vinyl rip in 24/96 or 24/192.

Speaking of DSD, still no news of native playback or DSD 256 on the Pulse.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #10,668 of 13,800
  Is your Infinity in the 1.0(smaller) chassis or the 2.0(larger, revised) chassis? If it is in the 1.0 chassis, is it with the K2M or AQ2M ESS DAC chip?

And I agree, let it burn in while you're gone. I've been doing this with me Infinity 2.0 and THANK GOD I have. I've put about 150-200 hours on it and it's sounding TOTALLY different than before. Before I thought it sucked, really. I was enjoying my GO1000 over it. But nowadays when I listen to the GO1000 at work I'm just disappointed in it. I can't wait to get my Infinity 2.0 into work in like March and jam out!

I have the Schiit Yggy in my hands at the office, but really can't do anything with it until I get back, not even powering it on.

I have until the end of the month to return the Infinity. I should be able to let the Yggy burn in and do a proper comparison. Though, I hate to wait until the last minute.

I bought the Infinity from Amazon:

The flagship of the Pulse DAC line, the Pulse Infinity is a dual mono design, utilizing two ESS9018K2M DACs, ultra-precise femto clocks, and premium audiophile parts throughout. Balanced and unbalanced headphone amplifiers, and both XLR balanced and RCA unbalanced line outputs. Five digital Inputs (USB, AES/EBU, TOSlink, and two coaxial digital). Four user-selectable digital filters. Supports up to 32 bit 384 kHz PCM and DSD128 Includes basic power transformer, add our optional LPS-4 linear power supply for even better performance.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #10,669 of 13,800
The Pulse does DSD extremely well, you owe it to yourself to give it a listen as you should a good vinyl rip in 24/96 or 24/192.

Speaking of DSD, still no news of native playback or DSD 256 on the Pulse.

It's still in beta. I have it on my Pulse (am a beta tester) and it's nice (although it makes the LH driver not play as nicely with other LHL products). Still some bugs I guess. Cheers

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #10,671 of 13,800
Swapped all caps (selecting exact value) for Blackgates. Then I added an extra BG cap for Power.   Added 2 pairs of Mundorf Evo Silver Gold Oil on the headphone-out. And planning on adding 2 pairs of Duelund Cast for the line-out.  

Listening Experience is also nice with my HybridTube Amp populated with Mundorf Silver Gold Oil Caps and a pair of Telefunken.   THANKS!

How difficult is it to swap the caps?
Do you have a BOM list?

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #10,672 of 13,800
It's still in beta. I have it on my Pulse (am a beta tester) and it's nice (although it makes the LH driver not play as nicely with other LHL products). Still some bugs I guess. Cheers

You know...I'm actually on the beta firmware too. I wonder if that's what's causing the Infinity to stop all audio like I mentioned earlier. I didn't think about the firmware at all. With or without the iFi iUSB3.0, and with or without fancy USB cables, I occasionally get audio dropouts from the Infinity and I have to cycle the power to get it up and working again.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #10,674 of 13,800
There are a few of people on the forums with them now. I think 2 are in the for sale in the source for sale section

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #10,676 of 13,800
My Pulse Blue arrived yesterday (15/01/16) in the UK - there must be more than just mine in the wild!

Anyone else got one yet?

It seems to do the job - interested to hear "expert" thoughts.

Mine came a few weeks back, I live in the Central US.  It seems to work fine.  What was a little surprising is using a SDPIF to connect into my Pulse Infinity so it uses the DAC on Infinity.  The front panel seems huge for the 2 small LED status lights.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #10,678 of 13,800
I just signed up on Tidal for 3 months last evening which was a perk from a different Indiegogo campaign (actually delivered first phase on time not like others we know) so I will have to see how well the Blue streams Tidal from my phone or tablet.  

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #10,679 of 13,800
Finally got to listen to the Yggy. Straight out of the box, it sounds better than the infinity, hands down. It's a B-Stock Yggy. So, I don't know if it's been used and is burn in or not. If it isn't, I can't wait for it to sound better.

Few things things that stands out immediately, the bass.
Sohn - Tremors, the bass has texture, and goes deep, The bass doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers! The bass has life of it's own.

Late Night Alumni - Moonwalking, her voice is more real and musical, breathtaking. I didn't know the meaning of air until today.

Ok, so I'm not good at reviewing audio equipment. But you know when something sounds good. Right now, I love the Yggy!

It's late, I have to sleep. I really can't wait to listen to more stuff tomorrow. It's that good!

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #10,680 of 13,800
I was going to wait until later in the week to do a serious sit down. After listening to the Yggy for 30 minutes today and switching back to the Pulse, I realize why am I wasting my time comparing when there is no comparison!? The Schiit rules, every way possible. Everything sounds right and intoxicating.

This is the best system I have had! Audio equipment come and go, but the Parasound have always stayed. The A23 is over ten years old, and I will never sell it. The Yggdrasil is here to stay. It's built like a tank and weighs as much as my amp? It's a beast, and has the sound to go with it.

I'm done with LH Labs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back