Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 10, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #10,624 of 13,800
some cool pics of the pcb and inside of the 2.0 chassis on this page
http://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?10141-2016%E5%B9%B4CES%E5%AF%A6%E6%B3%81%E5%A0%B1%E5%B0%8E-High-Perfomance-Audio-%E9%AB%98%E7%B4%9A%E9%9F%B3%E9%9F%BF&p=223948#post223948

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #10,625 of 13,800
  some cool pics of the pcb and inside of the 2.0 chassis on this page
http://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?10141-2016%E5%B9%B4CES%E5%AF%A6%E6%B3%81%E5%A0%B1%E5%B0%8E-High-Perfomance-Audio-%E9%AB%98%E7%B4%9A%E9%9F%B3%E9%9F%BF&p=223948#post223948

Thanks.  LH Labs missed a great opportunity to include similar high quality pictures to its backers.  It doesn't make sense to me they could not take a few minutes and post the pictures on a GO update with a brief explanation.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #10,626 of 13,800
Had trouble finding those pictures with the link on my phone...lots of other nice pictures, though...

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #10,628 of 13,800
The Pulse 2.0 chassis was designed to fit several products in the line, including the tube headphone amp. The height of the tubes defined the height of the chassis. The depth was originally made to fit the Pulse DAC board. I don't know what criteria they used to select the unnecessarily wide footprint for most of the Pulse products. They were going to use the same basic chassis for all Pulse products. This would have forced them to redesign the LPS, as its board is somewhat longer than the DAC, however they appear to have mde a separate chassis for the LPS that is longer to fit the LPS boards. I dind it unfortunate that they chose the wide and not deep footprint that they did. Also unnecessary is the same height for all components, just because one (the tube headphone amp) required a tall enclosure. There is a lot of wasted space in most of the units.

As for the current and apparently final design of the Source... Good lord, that thing is HUGE! I do like the large display, but the width most definitely takes it out of the desktop category.

J.P.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #10,629 of 13,800
The Pulse 2.0 chassis was designed to fit several products in the line, including the tube headphone amp. The height of the tubes defined the height of the chassis. The depth was originally made to fit the Pulse DAC board. I don't know what criteria they used to select the unnecessarily wide footprint for most of the Pulse products. They were going to use the same basic chassis for all Pulse products. This would have forced them to redesign the LPS, as its board is somewhat longer than the DAC, however they appear to have mde a separate chassis for the LPS that is longer to fit the LPS boards. I dind it unfortunate that they chose the wide and not deep footprint that they did. Also unnecessary is the same height for all components, just because one (the tube headphone amp) required a tall enclosure. There is a lot of wasted space in most of the units.

As for the current and apparently final design of the Source... Good lord, that thing is HUGE! I do like the large display, but the width mkst definitely takes it out of the desktop category.

J.P.

Slap some legs on it and it could be the desk!

JK :wink:

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #10,630 of 13,800

Thanks.  LH Labs missed a great opportunity to include similar high quality pictures to its backers.  It doesn't make sense to me they could not take a few minutes and post the pictures on a GO update with a brief explanation.

Maybe they will.  They are probably both at CES and both busy.  
As for the current and apparently final design of the Source... Good lord, that thing is HUGE! I do like the large display, but the width mkst definitely takes it out of the desktop category.

J.P.

It's large indeed.  The screen itself is monstrous.  I'm not sure you really need such a large screen when most people will be controlling it via iPad or other mobile devices with superior screens.  I agree with what others are saying that the height is just too tall.  I do think that the width is OK, since when you stack it, it looks nicer.  If they don't at least give it a little room for other devices, then they might be screwed.  Although at the speed that they are releasing products, I suspect that this form factor is here to say for a while.  Like for W4S, they have kept the same enclosure for a long while.  This makes me think that it's kind of contradicting since if it's going to be good for stacking, yet some of the products aren't actually for desktop use (I'm assuming most of us HT folk have nice stereo racks to put their equipment in), that their thinking isn't very well thought out.  They have now ended up with a product that is both too tall and wide to stack on a desk, and taking up too much space in audio racks.  

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #10,631 of 13,800
Following the size and height of the case for the tube DAC or pre-amp is one of the worst decisions LH Labs made.  It made everything bigger, add costs, and discouraged users who wanted small desktop components.

I lost interest in purchasing other components after they made the decision to increase the case significantly as it is today.  They are doing it again with the Source.  The size and design elements doesn't blend again with the other components with that partial "V" stripe instead of vertical.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #10,632 of 13,800
I got myself an infinity from a backer, as well as a Jays LPS, thinking it was the ****. I tried very hard to be impressed. After running it on for 200 hours, I borrowed a Chord Hugo from a friend, and the moment I switched over, I made the decision to jump onto the Chord bandwagon, never looked back since. It was an easy decision for me, I just found the Chord to be so much better both musically and technically.

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #10,635 of 13,800
Hmm... Does anybody know of a review/comparison of the X with the Xfi?
Just curious if the Femtos are really an audible surplus or if it has only a measurable effect.

Hi marflao, I haven´t compared them since I own an XFI, but what I can say is  I´ve compared the FRM (Frequency Response Mode) and FTM (Femto Time Mode) digital filter modes and FRM sounds "too digital" and not too pleasing for me, whereas Femto is simply fantastic, no contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back