Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 6, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #9,481 of 13,800
Maybe I'm in the minority of people receiving a bad pulse. My Pulse arrived with no pulse. DOA. Now I have a high pulse rate.

Any ideas on how I get LH Labs to respond to a support ticket for a pulse that doesn't work?  I received a first response within 24 hours, but now I've been waiting for a follow-up since last week. Normally, I have more patience, but when you wait for something for so long and then it doesn't work, my patience runs thin.

I'll probably send in my Bifrost for the MB upgrade and receive it before I get a working pulse. Maybe even get the LC before a working pulse. 

Just had to vent.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #9,483 of 13,800
I'm not really getting the whole "missing a lot of bass" thing. You make it seem as if the DAc/amp has a -20 dB roll off at the bass frequencies or something. XD

I don't really notice any serious lack of bass compared to anything else I've heard minus the Yggy or warm amps/DACs.

I don't think it is a serious lack compared to some other DACs I did find it paired better with warmer headphones, so I believe it if people think there is something less warm about it than some other DACs.

The difference is not huge, but at this level even a minute difference tends to be exaggerated right (eg, according to the Innerfidelity tests only one person out of all the people who did the double blind AB tests on Tyl's rig could tell the difference between the Yggy and a ToTL delta sigma DAC to any statistical degree of significance).

So even a difference that is so.small that cannot be rwliably distinguished in ABX testing is a HUGE difference.

Yeah that's why I mentioned a -20 dB roll off of bass or something because the way the posts are worded makes it seem like the Pulse has zero bass response whatsoever. XD

And yup, I'm sure that the differences are pretty small relatively speaking.

I have the LightSpeed 2G demo cable with me right now. So far from my limited listening, I actually don't like it as much as my printer cable + 1G cable, and of course less than the 10G. I should do more listening sessions later but it's pretty cumbersome switching out USB cables. To me, the 2G sounds pretty bright, but it has better instrument layering than the printer + 1G cable setup I typically use. When I heard my system for the first time with the 2G cable, I thought something sounded off because it was borderline too bright for me. We'll see what my impressions are after I do more listening tests though.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #9,485 of 13,800
Mine is supposedly out for delivery... (it's 5:30... so unlikely that it will arrive today.)

@smial1966 any chance you are international?  They had mentioned at one point, that they were going to ship out the very first batch of Infinities to US backers (i.e. the first 20) so that any 

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #9,486 of 13,800
Yeah that's why I mentioned a -20 dB roll off of bass or something because the way the posts are worded makes it seem like the Pulse has zero bass response whatsoever. XD

And yup, I'm sure that the differences are pretty small relatively speaking.

I have the LightSpeed 2G demo cable with me right now. So far from my limited listening, I actually don't like it as much as my printer cable + 1G cable, and of course less than the 10G. I should do more listening sessions later but it's pretty cumbersome switching out USB cables. To me, the 2G sounds pretty bright, but it has better instrument layering than the printer + 1G cable setup I typically use. When I heard my system for the first time with the 2G cable, I thought something sounded off because it was borderline too bright for me. We'll see what my impressions are after I do more listening tests though.

Regardless of belief or whatever, give it a run in for 200+ hours and see how you find it then. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #9,487 of 13,800
Anybody receive yet ANOTHER survey from LH Labs to confirm shipping address? Well I filled it out and it wouldn't work. I sent Manny this message "You're survey doesn't work. It's broken. Thanks for wasting my time." To which Manny responded "Well that was rude, It would seem that the "address field 2" is empty, if you do not have address 2 to input, just put NA". Is it just me or do most intelligently programmed surveys have address 2 as optional? Never seen a mandatory address 2 before until now. And of course it's the customer’s fault for a poorly designed survey.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #9,488 of 13,800
Anybody receive yet ANOTHER survey from LH Labs to confirm shipping address? Well I filled it out and it wouldn't work. I sent Manny this message "You're survey doesn't work. It's broken. Thanks for wasting my time." To which Manny responded "Well that was rude, It would seem that the "address field 2" is empty, if you do not have address 2 to input, just put NA". Is it just me or do most intelligently programmed surveys have address 2 as optional? Never seen a mandatory address 2 before until now. And of course it's the customer’s fault for a poorly designed survey.

Yeah, the survey wasn't designed too well. Was pretty easy to figure out the Address Line 2 thing, but then again I've created surveys just like it in the past. I think they used too much of an off-the-shelf template and that's the reason for the issues. Cheers

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #9,489 of 13,800
Mine was sent to wrong address anyway. Fortunately the postman knows me. So I got it. I had a typo on original perk, tried to address it several times. Did the survey... But no blood no foul. The gear is here and truly impressive for the cost.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #9,490 of 13,800
Inserted the Geek Pulse X ∞ into my headphone system using the balanced headphone out. 

Minor nits: Volume knob is very touchy (sensitive) and apple remote is acting very flaky.  Can't get the menu to come up with the remote, pressing volume up sometimes works but then trying to press volume down, the volume just keeps going up - not sure if it's the firmware or something else. I'll swap out the battery in the remote to see if that fixes anything.

Out of the box it sounded a lot like my GO 720, which is no slouch by any means, but three hours in and I'm very impressed -  definite increase in detail and soundstage.  Everything just sounds 3 dimensional, especially on live cuts.

If it's this good at three hours I can't wait to hear it after a few hundred hours.  I'm a happy camper right now.  Definitely worth the wait for me.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #9,491 of 13,800
  Inserted the Geek Pulse X ∞ into my headphone system using the balanced headphone out. 

Minor nits: Volume knob is very touchy and apple remote is acting very flaky.  Can't get the menu to come up with the remote, pressing volume up sometimes works but then trying to press volume down, the volume just keeps going up - not sure if it's the firmware or something else. I'll swap out the battery in the remote to see if that fixes anything.

Out of the box it sounded a lot like my GO 720, which is no slouch by any means, but three hours in and I'm very impressed -  definite increase in detail and soundstage.  Everything just sounds 3 dimensional, especially on live cuts.

If it's this good at three hours I can't wait to hear it after a few hundred hours.  I'm a happy camper right now.  Definitely worth the wait for me.

Congrats! 

Looks like yours is set up very similarly to mine, with the LPS4 as well as the LS10G and the Regen. Are you powering your Regen off the LPS4? 

Yeah, I'm also very pleased with the Pulse Infinity desktop. Have been A/B'ing it a lot today with a GO V2+ Infinity and have to say they're very close to each other in SQ and performance. 

Enjoy your new gear!

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #9,492 of 13,800
  Congrats! 

Looks like yours is set up very similarly to mine, with the LPS4 as well as the LS10G and the Regen. Are you powering your Regen off the LPS4? 

Yeah, I'm also very pleased with the Pulse Infinity desktop. Have been A/B'ing it a lot today with a GO V2+ Infinity and have to say they're very close to each other in SQ and performance. 

Enjoy your new gear!

Yes Mike, power both the Regen and the Pulse off the LPS4.  My wife is going to feel neglected tonight!
basshead.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #9,494 of 13,800
I really wish I had the HE-1000 or some other flagship headphone to really test these.

Running balanced AKG 7XX an hour in and it already sounds awesome. The V2+ is similar, but it is immediately noticeable that the X Infinity is better.

Some bad news, my LPS doesn't work with it. Tried 2G, 1G, printer cable, all fail to play with the LPS in the chain. Without the LPS everything works fine. May need to RMA the LPS.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #9,495 of 13,800
Looking good. I am envious since I have to wait another week before mine reached me in the western Pacific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back