Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 3, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #4,306 of 13,800
Does it replace the PC USB power with LPS power like the LH lab ones as well?

My understanding is that there are various options (i.e., voltage).  Mine is a 12V one, meant to supply DC directly into the Pulse.

You can order a separate one for 5V and use a USB cable that separates the power leg from the signal leg.  For that, the power leg has to be modified somehow to get the 5V supply from the linear power supply as it does not have a USB female socket for the DC.

I hope this helps.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #4,307 of 13,800
Thanks for the info. I guess for a split usb cable, the power end can be plugged into anything even the noisy PC USB jack as the pulse isn't a USB-powered DAC, that the USB power is only needed for the initial handshake.

It's really difficult for me to decide. The jay's one is nice and compact but I really want to see the noise performance figure of the two in order to decide...

My understanding is that there are various options (i.e., voltage).  Mine is a 12V one, meant to supply DC directly into the Pulse.

You can order a separate one for 5V and use a USB cable that separates the power leg from the signal leg.  For that, the power leg has to be modified somehow to get the 5V supply from the linear power supply as it does not have a USB female socket for the DC.

I hope this helps.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,308 of 13,800
Thanks for the info. I guess for a split usb cable, the power end can be plugged into anything even the noisy PC USB jack as the pulse isn't a USB-powered DAC, that the USB power is only needed for the initial handshake.

It's really difficult for me to decide. The jay's one is nice and compact but I really want to see the noise performance figure of the two in order to decide...

Between the Jay's and the LPS4?

I think those would be hard to come by because the Jay's is made to order. 

The fact is that both are linear, which will mean quieter power compared to the wall wart. 

The price of the LPS4 is several times more. But you do get 12vdc and 5vdc outs. For the Jay's you need separate units. And unless you live in Asia like I do, the shipping will be expensive for 2 units delivered to outside of the continent. So it's worth considering the LPS4.

If you can live with just the 12v, you can get a nice set of cans or cables with the money you save...

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #4,310 of 13,800

I bought a $35 5A Pyramid power supply that is rated at 3 mV ripple/noise at rated output.

Just a bit of a warning, after reading Larry's comments about using a battery... the pulse has some sort of protection to limit input voltage, I went inside my unit and set the voltage to 12.8 volts from the stock 13.8 that it measures from the factory.

It is not as nice looking as the Jays unit, but I got a price shipped for the Jays unit and it ended up being close to 5 times as much.
I plan to have the thing out of sight anyway.
In any case, for the price it seems worth the purchase and should be better than a switching Wall Wart for anyone wanting to save a few dollars and still have clean power for their Pulse.

It is interesting that one of the videos that Larry did using the switching supply showed residual noise way, way below audibility.
There appears to be pretty good internal filtering in the Pulse. I am curious as to why people are hearing some of the claimed differences in the sound versus the wall wart and the LHL LPS. Unless the wall wart simply does not provide sufficient power...

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #4,312 of 13,800
Can we focus on the thread's topic? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #4,313 of 13,800
Thanks for the responses. Does anyone know what's the noise level of the LH lab's LPS?

Cheers

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #4,314 of 13,800
Sure, that's why I used linear PSU instead "LHL LPS" in my post. But there are too many things to be judged for a PSU, all the hi-end manufacturers pay lots of attention there.
I remember somewhere in the LH forum Larry posted that the noise of LPS is something like 5uv, I forgot if it is loaded or not, but then again it is long time ago.
I didn't bother paying much for the LPS, because I feel like the DC converter in Pulse will introduce some noise any way.

Here's one saying 5uv

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #4,317 of 13,800
Is that supposed to be 5 millivolts, or 5 microvolts? 5 millivolts = 5000 microvolts, which is an insane amount of noise since 23 microvolts is what my Geek Out 450 is rated at and is noticeable.

It's 5 micro-volts

Larry posted here: http://www.lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/2797-geek-pulse-xfi-signature-edition-details?start=850#49019

Geek Pulse Xfi Signature Edition Details
31 Dec 2014 17:54​

1.   Posts:2448Thank you received: 5532
  2. Larry Ho
  3. Moderator
  4. Moderator-icon.png
  5. OFFLINE
wink.png

You need to let the 5V/Gnd wire has a reference with differential signal pair FIRST. Then you could remove them.

If we use internal power of Geek Pulse for that 5V. Then there is no solid reference for differential pair.

Actually, you could leave the 5V power leg there if you really need connivence , since it will use for hand shake. And LPS 5V output's noise is micro volt level (under 5uV as I remember) so the impact is really minimum.

Larry

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #4,318 of 13,800
I should also add that using my LPS with my GO450 has significantly improved the performance. Not only a blacker background (less noise)...but more stable operation.  Other users reported it even makes the 450 more suitable for more IEMs than before...

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #4,319 of 13,800
It's 5 micro-volts

Larry posted here: http://www.lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/2797-geek-pulse-xfi-signature-edition-details?start=850#49019

Geek Pulse Xfi Signature Edition Details
31 Dec 2014 17:54​
[COLOR=4C90FE]#49019

[/color]

Thank you received: 5532

2. [COLOR=586900]
    [/COLOR]
  3. [COLOR=586900]Larry Ho[/COLOR]
  4. Moderator
  5. Moderator-icon.png

6. OFFLINE

wink.png

You need to let the 5V/Gnd wire has a reference with differential signal pair FIRST. Then you could remove them.

If we use internal power of Geek Pulse for that 5V. Then there is no solid reference for differential pair.

Actually, you could leave the 5V power leg there if you really need connivence , since it will use for hand shake. And LPS 5V output's noise is micro volt level (under 5uV as I remember) so the impact is really minimum.

Larry

[tr] [/tr]

I believe miceblue is referring to jay's audio LPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back