Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 4, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #4,336 of 13,800
@Currawong

Since we have separate threads for the Geek Out, Wave, i thought that this thread should be focused on the Pulse and it's variants only.Otherwise what's the point in starting a thread with the product title.

I agree now that we should start a separate impressions thread now. I will do so once i receive my Pulse, or at least add to one once it's started.

@Levanter

I consider the Geek amps and LPS to be separate products. While it's true that almost all who bought the LPS/LPS4 would have bought them for use with their Pulse, it's not a 100% certainty, is it? My friend's already got a DAC he was pretty happy with, so he only got the LPS4. As for the amps, i was the only one among my friends who had bought the Pulse. They got the amps only because they are deep biased Class A/AB amps.

Just my 2 cents. Can't afford anymore after all the campaigns
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #4,337 of 13,800
@nicolo
While they are separate products, if they are used together with the Pulse i think it's quite legitimate to post impressions/etc on the Pulse thread as well. Unless discussion on the LPS + Geek Amps are used with other DACs then perhaps a separate thread or discussion in that specific DAC thread is appropriate. 
I myself only got the Geek DAC. Their amps doesn't look very impressive to me and i'm still having lingering thoughts on a LPS - having no reviews on the Xfi vs Xfi + LPS doesn't help either.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #4,338 of 13,800
Another thing about the reviews/impressions. Oh boy are they gonna be confusing.Just listing out below the ways in which confusion will be sowed:

Pulse and variants: How does the Pulse/X/Xfi/S/Sfi/X Infinite/S Infinite sound. Which filter did we use for comparison? Is FTM (Femto Time Mode according to Larry) better than TCM/FRM? If yes in which genres etc? Does it sound better with the LPS vs. LPS4 vs. power conditioner?

Wave and variants: Where do you even start with the number of variants?

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #4,339 of 13,800
I think starting a new impressions thread is the best way.
This thread has been cluttered with 290 pages of which 99.9% of the posts do not contain impressions/reviews.
(well we couldn't have had impressions for a product in progress anw)

It's best to leave this thread for us to discuss other related stuff
(restricting this thread to ONLY impressions would not make sense, I dare say 99% of us do NOT own a Pulse yet)

Hope this is not too off-topic, but I just received my HE-560 here in sunny Singapore! (from the Hifiman-Pulse bundle)
I didn't receive a shipping notification, so it was a pleasant surprise when the postman showed up!!!

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #4,340 of 13,800
Another thing about the reviews/impressions. Oh boy are they gonna be confusing.Just listing out below the ways in which confusion will be sowed:

Pulse and variants: How does the Pulse/X/Xfi/S/Sfi/X Infinite/S Infinite sound. Which filter did we use for comparison? Is FTM (Femto Time Mode according to Larry) better than TCM/FRM? If yes in which genres etc? Does it sound better with the LPS vs. LPS4 vs. power conditioner?

Wave and variants: Where do you even start with the number of variants?

Yeah, also which lightspeed USB cable(1/2/10G) is used.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #4,341 of 13,800
Yup. Forgot about the Lightspeed cables. The questions be like:

Is effect of 2G no different from 10G? Is 10G split better than 10G single ended?

For me personally, the cheapest and probably the most effective solution for someone without a 2G/10G cable and LPS would be to get a Schiit Wyrd and then run the 1G cable (default cable provided with the Pulse) from it. Nobody will be tell the difference unless someone they have bat-like ears. Unfortunately such wisdom came after the campaigns were over
frown.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #4,343 of 13,800
In fact, if i had read about the Schiit Yggdrasil earlier (pre Dec 2013), i would have saved up for it instead. I am going to get the Ragnarok anyway. Would have made for a great Schiit combo.

Sigh
triportsad.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #4,345 of 13,800
Nope. You would need to connect the Pulse to the mains power for that. All the Wyrd will do is clean up the USB signal of noise from a computer port and then send the cleaned signal to the Pulse. The Pulse is supposed to have a very quiet power supply inbuilt anyway. In my experience, most of the noise comes from the USB port rather than from mains power. Even if mains power is dirty, a cheap solution would be to get something like a Tripplite Isobar power strip which removes most of the line noise from mains power.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #4,346 of 13,800

That is the 5 volt line that has 5 uV noise, correct? The one that you need not use for the pulse other than the handshake.
I am curious about the 12 volt line specs.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #4,347 of 13,800
  Nope. You would need to connect the Pulse to the mains power for that. All the Wyrd will do is clean up the USB signal of noise from a computer port and then send the cleaned signal to the Pulse. The Pulse is supposed to have a very quiet power supply inbuilt anyway. In my experience, most of the noise comes from the USB port rather than from mains power. Even if mains power is dirty, a cheap solution would be to get something like a Tripplite Isobar power strip which removes most of the line noise from mains power.

The thing is, once the handshake is complete, one can disconnect the USB power leg of the cable. At that point, dose not the Wyrd become a non-factor... rhetorical question there!

Of course this assumes that you have a split power/signal cable.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #4,348 of 13,800
Jan 4, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #4,349 of 13,800

IMHO, discussing LPS options for the pulse makes total sense in this thread.  

I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Digital-display-Hifi-linear-power-DC-1-USB-amp-DAC-external-power-supply-/291344316952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d5797a18.  I can post impressions when I receive it.

Please do, I wasn't able to afford the lps but could do one of those. Did you order 12v 1.2a version? Also is the polarity on the stock cable correct for the pulse?

Yes. Yes.

I'll post impressions as soon as I have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back