Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #406 of 13,800
  I am really liking what I see on this dac, but I have a few questions, first who/what is this company. I never heard of them before, is it some kind of charity or what? Second what is a Geek Out, I see it looks like some type of usb device but I couldn't find anything on their web site describing it. Lastly I am assuming if you order the unit, they take your money now, but you don't actually receive it until April or so? Sure sounds like a very nice dac though, that is for sure.

And because this is crowd funding, there is a chance that you will never receive anything for your money.  For this product from LHlabs, I'd say the chance of that happening are close to zero, but you never know.  This isn't a pre-order or other such purchase agreement.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #407 of 13,800
Upped my contribution to get a Pulse X.  Kills me that I have to wait until May, but at least I have a GEEK Out coming in Jan to play with in addition to a Schiit Vali coming hopefully early next week.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #408 of 13,800
  Upped my contribution to get a Pulse X.  Kills me that I have to wait until May, but at least I have a GEEK Out coming in Jan to play with in addition to a Schiit Vali coming hopefully early next week.

wow man, it's like we're twins !   haha!
same situation here, based on all the good advice from experienced folks-
and the fun Vali listening at RMAF helped seal the decision as well.

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #410 of 13,800
  Likewise. But gives me time to save up for a set of HD800's or LCD-2/X's.

Same for me.....saving. HD800 or LCD-X? Leaning on former. (They use it also for testing. Price/Aftermarket support)

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #412 of 13,800
Wow!  Geek Pulse X has really piqued my curiosity here.  What about a better power source?  Is there anymore talk about that?  To me that would put this in the killer category!

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #414 of 13,800
  Same for me.....saving. HD800 or LCD-X? Leaning on former. (They use it also for testing. Price/Aftermarket support)

As much as I like the LCD-X (my preferred Audeze), I still like the HD800 best.  Only real reason I could see to go ortho is if you needed more bass (I do not think the HD800 is bass light, it is bass neutral).

And I also like that LHlabs is using the HD800 as a reference.  Hopefully this means that the Pulse doesn't end up too cold or analytical.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #415 of 13,800
@Icenine2 - They will be having a Linear Power Supply as option. Bundled is a universal SMPS.

@FraGGleR - Been reading and reading... Yep, HD800 is for me and esp. on the music I listen to. A plus that LHlabs people uses it also for testing.

I'm not a designer. Just killing time today with Photoshop.
But my preference would be along Schiit/Mac like. May be if I have time again...

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #416 of 13,800
  @Icenine2 - They will be having a Linear Power Supply as option. Bundled is a universal SMPS.

@FraGGleR - Been reading and reading... Yep, HD800 is for me and esp. on the music I listen to. A plus that LHlabs people uses it also for testing.

But my preference would be along Schiit/Mac like. May be if I have time again...

Not too shabby. Great job!

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #417 of 13,800

Looks fantastic!   Better than the proposed faceplate.  Is yours about the same size?

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #419 of 13,800
Rough Draft..

Power/DSD/PCM indicator is at Volume (Changes Color, PCM - Amber, DSD - Blue).

Other LED colors - Off White

3 Buttons (Source, 3D, Gain)

When Source is depressed, overrides LED Sample Rate to choose Input.

3D LED lights up when on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back