Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 30, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #4,111 of 13,800
  I was an early backer and I don't remember selecting the femto upgrade but it says it's the Pulse fi so I thought it was a perk for meeting a goal.  It's been so long since the start of the campaign I don't remember most of it.

It's possible someone in the warehouse made a mistake when shipping. Or maybe you backed the upgrade and forgot. But the key thing is that the Pulse fi isn't the vanilla Pulse as it has 2 upgrades applied.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #4,112 of 13,800
HiFiMAN just confirmed they're shipping the headphones from Delaware and they'll arrive in our office by Monday. For our customers throughout Asia, they will begin receiving their headphones this week or early next.

Just confirmed and this info is only 10 minutes old. You're the second (after the Geek Force) to know!

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,115 of 13,800
I think during the Pulse campaign Larry decided to use femto clocks on all the Pulses because it sounded better to him.  My guess is that all vanilla Pulses should have the femto upgrade.  I could be mistaken though.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4,116 of 13,800
Originally Posted by jexby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

are you saying the Vanilla Pulse is lifeless?  or that the filter makes it sound lifeless?
In your opinion, is this more a function of the DAC or the SS amp?

I didn't think the Xfi at RMAF sounded bodiless with my balanced HE-560 during my 10-15min trial.
never listened to HD800 much, but can they not sound lifeless via many amps?

my ears prefer some tube-sound with HE-560, so one day the Xfi (+nt) will be a DAC feeding Lyr 2 at home.

TCM filter is lifeless in my opinion, it sounds great with some headphones, but not with others. Dynamics are weak and seem compressed, there is a general smoothing character that reduces overall resolution. Sounds very much designed to use with the stock HD800s.

Either way, though, the Pulse is a competitive unit at it's asking price.  It was easy to compare against the ridiculous kilobuck rigs to find these things but I'm probably pickier than most. These opinions should be taken with a grain of salt as the reference is much more expensive, much larger, and much hotter rigs. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #4,117 of 13,800
  I think during the Pulse campaign Larry decided to use femto clocks on all the Pulses because it sounded better to him.  My guess is that all vanilla Pulses should have the femto upgrade.  I could be mistaken though.

I think you are mistaken.
The vanilla Pulse only has TCXO clocks.
lhlabs.com/geekpulse3/images/Geek_Pulse_Soul_Technology_Breakdown.pdf

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #4,118 of 13,800
  HiFiMAN just confirmed they're shipping the headphones from Delaware and they'll arrive in our office by Monday. For our customers throughout Asia, they will begin receiving their headphones this week or early next.

Just confirmed and this info is only 10 minutes old. You're the second (after the Geek Force) to know!

Thank You Casey VERY much!
Does that mean I might hear form some of your folks soon for confirmation and shipping info??

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #4,121 of 13,800
  Sorry Casey, I guess I should have posted your reply to my pm so you didn't have to answer the question again.

All good!  Multiple posts reinforce the reality of the situation 
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #4,122 of 13,800
Major props for being so present here to answer questions, Mr Hartwell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back