Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #4,097 of 13,800
My Pulse has been running for ~180 hrs, the sound is much improved now, driving HD800.
The sabre sound is still there but much less than when it is new, I would even say it is okayish smooth. The sound still lacks a bit weight or body, also the imaging is not that great, but I am quite happy now.
I prefer FRM filter here. TCM felt warmer and the bass is punchier but also is more "distorted" to me.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4,098 of 13,800
Would that mean you would be running to of them for one device? :s

If you have some LPS like the Geek LPS, that have two outputs for that goal, yes... :)

Take a look at this video, talking about the split usb cable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL0TTnJfDYs

This is with a normal usb cable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6neiU-4jlRg

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,099 of 13,800
  My Pulse has been running for ~180 hrs, the sound is much improved now, driving HD800.
The sabre sound is still there but much less than when it is new, I would even say it is okayish smooth. The sound still lacks a bit weight or body, also the imaging is not that great, but I am quite happy now.
I prefer FRM filter here. TCM felt warmer and the bass is punchier but also is more "distorted" to me.

It's smooth but lifeless. Non-aggressive and boring to listen to. 

The FRM is way more resolving as well. It's SABRE-y but better.

I wish the FRM was closer to the geek out 450 or my 2V SE. It sounds much better on those unit and the resolution hit is not as big, especially out of the LPS.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #4,100 of 13,800
Don't have geek out so I can't compare, I also wish Larry can tweak the filter further.
I agree that it is lifeless, no body in the sound, but it is already improved compare to just out of the box. I'll just let it burn-in further.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4,101 of 13,800

Very close to my impressions, Faye.  Excepet that I prefer TCM.  (People do vary. :)

Are you using an LPS?  People have reported the Pulse gets more weight and produces a more "robust" sound with it.  I am hoping that getting one will help with its lean nature.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #4,102 of 13,800
We had a pirate mini meet at my house last weekend and had

Geek Out 450, 720, 1000, SE
Geek Pulse, XFi SE, LPS, LPS4

You have to outdo 12 dudes in the SF Bay Area
smily_headphones1.gif
. Come on!

having a legit Engineer or two in the house had to add to a stellar meet up!

saw a bit of photos and descriptions from this mini-epic event, hoping to read more when additional attendees chime in??
popcorn.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #4,103 of 13,800

Very close to my impressions, Faye.  Excepet that I prefer TCM.  (People do vary. :)

Are you using an LPS?  People have reported the Pulse gets more weight and produces a more "robust" sound with it.  I am hoping that getting one will help with its lean nature.

I have been using Jay's LPS since day 1, I posted pics earlier in this thread. I also posted very brief impression vs SMPS.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #4,104 of 13,800
  Don't have geek out so I can't compare, I also wish Larry can tweak the filter further.
I agree that it is lifeless, no body in the sound, but it is already improved compare to just out of the box. I'll just let it burn-in further.

are you saying the Vanilla Pulse is lifeless?  or that the filter makes it sound lifeless?
In your opinion, is this more a function of the DAC or the SS amp?

I didn't think the Xfi at RMAF sounded bodiless with my balanced HE-560 during my 10-15min trial.
never listened to HD800 much, but can they not sound lifeless via many amps?

my ears prefer some tube-sound with HE-560, so one day the Xfi (+nt) will be a DAC feeding Lyr 2 at home.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #4,105 of 13,800

are you saying the Vanilla Pulse is lifeless?  or that the filter makes it sound lifeless?
In your opinion, is this more a function of the DAC or the SS amp?

I didn't think the Xfi at RMAF sounded bodiless with my balanced HE-560 during my 10-15min trial.
never listened to HD800 much, but can they not sound lifeless via many amps?

my ears prefer some tube-sound with HE-560, so one day the Xfi (+nt) will be a DAC feeding Lyr 2 at home.

My evaluation is done on the headphone output of the vanilla Pulse. The filter didn't make big difference.
I have a Xfint coming so that is what matters to me.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #4,108 of 13,800

I also agree that the the vanilla Pulse needs some significant burn in time and will benefit on its own from that alone. I received my LPS/4 about 2 weeks after receiving the Pulse and there is a very noticeable difference in the the weight, lower end, and silence. I go back and forth on the filters depending on which headphones I'm using but seem to prefer the TCM mostly. I think an LPS (Geek or other) is a great addition to the Pulse.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #4,109 of 13,800
  That's odd, I found the vanilla pulse to sound amazing.  It does have the femto clock upgrade but I thought everyone got that.

The vanilla Pulse doens't have a femto upgrade. If you selected the femto during the campaign then it should be included in your unit but it won't be in all of them. My vanilla Pulse doesn't have any upgrades whatsoever. My Pulse X will have everything apart from the SE upgrade.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #4,110 of 13,800

The vanilla Pulse doens't have a femto upgrade. If you selected the femto during the campaign then it should be included in your unit but it won't be in all of them. My vanilla Pulse doesn't have any upgrades whatsoever. My Pulse X will have everything apart from the SE upgrade.

I was an early backer and I don't remember selecting the femto upgrade but it says it's the Pulse fi so I thought it was a perk for meeting a goal.  It's been so long since the start of the campaign I don't remember most of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back