Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #211 of 13,800
  I think you'll find voltage is more important than current with an transducer at 300 ohms.  It should have more than enough voltage swing to drive the HD-800's, however I'm sure it won't beat a GSX II for instance ... but noone should expect that at the price. Whether it is "good enough" is unknown.  Whether it will drive them properly ... without knowing for sure (as noone has tried the combination, obviously) ... I'd say "yes" - most likely ... and if not, it is $250 at the moment - sell it and move on ...

Ar yes. You are right. At the end of the day, its around $250 and can be sold in the 2nd hand market easily. Maybe I shall move on for the pledge too.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #216 of 13,800
I am guessing that with the Pulse my Musical Fidelity V-Link will be obsolete.
However will probably keep it as that will allow me to use the Pulse to switch between two USB sources rather than having to use a USB switcher. One source is my laptop (music) the other is a video conferencing unit. The question will then be, would it be better to use the straight USB in for the laptop or would it not matter?

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #217 of 13,800
UPDATE:

LH Labs will be formally announcing the first milestone of product specification changes. Stay tuned.

20130831221355-stringio.txt

Larry Ho said 1 day ago
Hi, everyone.
Thanks a lot for all your opinions and feedbacks.
We had few product meetings already and will continue to discuss in next few days. After that, we will formally announce the first milestone of product specification changes.
Enjoy!
Larry

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #219 of 13,800
OK I'm in.

Hesitated too long to get in on the Super Early perk, but it's still looking like a pretty good deal on a very nice piece of kit.

Now, assuming there's a balanced output, what amplifier to go with it? V181? Mjolnir? BHA-1? NFB10? Something else? Too early to say?

[Edit: s/Gungnir/Mjolnir/ ]

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #221 of 13,800
  Too early to say, but the Gungnir is the worst amplifier I've ever heard ... the Mjolnir is much better ...

you mean dad?  You may just not like Schiit's house sound.  It's either on the thin side or bright side.  Maybe except for the Lyr. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #222 of 13,800
  you mean dad?  You may just not like Schiit's house sound.  It's either on the thin side or bright side.  Maybe except for the Lyr. 

LOL - Yes (well, I meant DAC - not dad), I was just being silly as one-eyed xander had mixed up the Gungnir with the Mjolnir - easy enough to do with those Norse names !!  The Gungnir would make a bad amplifier.  No, I love all of Schiit's amplifiers that I have heard - I haven't actually heard any of their DAC's yet.  Love the Lyr !!

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #223 of 13,800
  LOL - Yes (well, I meant DAC - not dad), I was just being silly as one-eyed xander had mixed up the Gungnir with the Mjolnir - easy enough to do with those Norse names !!  The Gungnir would make a bad amplifier.  No, I love all of Schiit's amplifiers that I have heard - I haven't actually heard any of their DAC's yet.  Love the Lyr !!

I was sure I wrote Dac not dad?  LOL. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #224 of 13,800
I would love to see the volume being displayed and be able to control with volume and switch inputs using something like a Apple remote.  It will make the product more versatile in other usage scenarios, such as driving active speakers like Linkwitz Orion/LX521 or JohnK's Note II RS.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #225 of 13,800
Update

Changes & Updates to Geek Pulse
This is not a final list of changes, this is just what we can commit to right now.

1. We're removing the decorative "V" on the front panel.
2. We're changing from a glossy acrylic front panel to a metal one.
3. We're changing the volume control buttons to a large control knob.
4. We're adding informative LED's to the front panel to display sample rates, etc.
5. We're adding a gain switch so all ya'll with IEM's won't blow your ear drums out. We're thinking three positions: 3 W, 1 W, and 100 mW.
6. The headphone output and the line output will have discrete analog circuits.

Geek Blue - A Bluetooth Stage that is Rad
This idea came from you! Geek Blue is a Bluetooth 4.0 stage so you can stream your music right into Geek Pulse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back