Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #196 of 13,800
  Ok I'm starting to understand why some of you have decided to contribute. The counter-arguments are valid and would be compelling but I for one will not give them any money until the Geek Pulse is out next year.

Yep, I'm in the same boat too. and who said you would have to pay retail when it's released? $500 is Light Harmonic's guess at what the customer would be willing to pay, not what we will actually pay. Plus, there's the second-hand market, and there is usually finer revisions from the 1st gen product. There are of course exceptions to these things, but i am in no rush to pre-order a question mark.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #198 of 13,800
  What I do like, is that they can possibly provide some heavy competition in an industry that is quite fond of overcharging the customer. There is no reason quality sound can't be affordable.

+1 to that. Out of frustration through all the years and money and effort spent, I have gone DIY to satisfy quality sound that is sanely priced. Knowing i have built it myself too is very rewarding.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #199 of 13,800
  +1 to that. Out of frustration through all the years and money and effort spent, I have gone DIY to satisfy quality sound that is sanely priced. Knowing i have built it myself too is very rewarding.

+100

DIY is a progression. I think anyone really into audio does it at some point, and recognizes the rewards.

My build is a good example. Cost me ~$1,000 in parts for my tower speakers, and a few months time of modeling/building whenever I had free time. Exceptional sound. They were measured and tested against brands like Legacy Audio's Focus SE ($10,000), and they destroyed them.

A few weeks ago I found a company which based their speaker design off mine, used a lower quality woofer, used MDF instead of Baltic Birch, and charges $5,000 for the pair. $6,000 with wood baffles. Markup much?

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #201 of 13,800
  ^ That's very impressive! But it takes a lot of technical expertise in order to do something like that. Building an amp from a kit that comes with instructions is a bit easier.

Luckily, there are.

Here ya go: 
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits.html

Buy parts, buy the flat pack enclosure, glue, screw, and enjoy. It costs 10x the price of these kits or more to achieve the same SQ from a commercial speaker. I think its even easier than a Bottlehead Kit.

Now, run the Geek Pulse into these via a professional audio amp (200-300W per channel), balanced, and things will get awesome very quickly.

Geek Pulse ($199, balanced) -> Behringer INuke1000 ($199, balanced) -> SEOS speaker kit ($300-400 per speaker, Speakon or XLR terminals, balanced) = ~$1,000 reference class system that can hit 115-120db cleanly with ease. A T1, HD800, or LCD-X themselves cost more than that.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #202 of 13,800

Geek Pulse ($199, balanced) -> Behringer INuke1000 ($199, balanced) -> SEOS speaker kit ($300-400 per speaker, Speakon or XLR terminals, balanced) = ~$1,000 reference class system that can hit 115-120db cleanly with ease. A T1, HD800, or LCD-X themselves cost more than that.

Let me post what Gavin said a while ago...

20120727183604-idgg.jpg
Gavin Fish said 19 hours ago

Regarding other Geek Pulse components (such as bluetooth), I’ve updated the FAQ(http://igg.me/at/geekpulseaudio#faq) section of the campaign. While I’m still purposefully being vague, I want you all to know that our plan is to build a complete audio system out of components. More will be announced in the next week or so.

What your hoping might not be that far after all.
Hoping for a Linear Power Supply, I will need that for the Pulse.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #207 of 13,800
And we have the usb cable!

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #208 of 13,800
Hiya all.

I checked the geek out and geek pulse box couple days ago. Massive wait for them to actually land on my doorsteps, but hey, that's entertainment!

I think there is no question about their capability to deliver their promises. SQ is the only issue that's seriously open I think. Is it as good as they claim or just on par with other similarly prices stuff. Time will tell. And it's subjective so...

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #209 of 13,800
And we have the usb cable!

I am as curious about the cable as the dac. The LH senior cable is well received, a blue moon award and thumbs up from nearly every reviewer. Most of the reviews mention "different" and "excellent", whatever this means. The bottom line...I don't have 1K for a usb cable but hoping this junior model has some of that goodness.

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #210 of 13,800

So if "the product might never come to fruition", everyone is effectively funding vaporware, as stated above? That makes absolutely no sense to do and I think I'm going to keep my money until the product is out.

No I've never heard of Kickstarter before, but honestly this whole thing still just seems completely ludicrous to me. If Light Harmonic needs venture capital, there are venture capitalists for that, I don't know what makes them entitled to ask consumers for money and why anyone with a sane mind is giving them hundreds of dollars without knowing for certain that the product will come out next year, or at all.

It's also marketing. It creates hype. The fact that their project took 10 hours to reach their funding minimum is/will be talked around technology websites. People waiting for the product talks about it to their friends and such. It's a GREAT way to start a medium sized project. It's useless for bigger things, and not very appealing for small projects, but for things like these, it's perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back