Garage1217 Project Solstice
Aug 21, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #92 of 120
  just ordered solstice a couple of days ago from garage 1217 website along with 6n6p tube.

hope it has a good synergy with my sennheiser hd 700 and akg k550.

I think you'll be very happy.

Remember to play around with the output resistance settings to fine tune the sound.  You may want Low or Medium for the K550 and Medium or High for the HD700.

For me, I use the settings to largely quiet down noisier tubes.  With my Grado - super sensitive and easy to drive - I have a few tubes that are quiet at Low but most have a bit of noise.  Medium quiets those down.

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #93 of 120
  I think you'll be very happy.

Remember to play around with the output resistance settings to fine tune the sound.  You may want Low or Medium for the K550 and Medium or High for the HD700.

For me, I use the settings to largely quiet down noisier tubes.  With my Grado - super sensitive and easy to drive - I have a few tubes that are quiet at Low but most have a bit of noise.  Medium quiets those down.

thanks. will keep that in mind. hope 6n6p is quiet enough for k550 use. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #96 of 120
I am about to get my Sennheiser HD600 and looking to upgrade my O2 amp to possibly the Solstice or maybe the Ember.  I see the HD650 pairs well with this amp, but how about the HD600?  
I will have to ask Jeremy what tube will be the best for what I'm looking for.

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #97 of 120
  I am about to get my Sennheiser HD600 and looking to upgrade my O2 amp to possibly the Solstice or maybe the Ember.  I see the HD650 pairs well with this amp, but how about the HD600?  

I have a 650 and I hear the 600 is very similar to the 650 so it will probably sound great. You can always roll different tubes to your preferences to see what you like.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #98 of 120

I can only talk about the Garage 1217 amps I've heard but both the Polaris & Ember work beautifully with my 650's. The 600 presents a similar load but with a slightly more neutral tone and will likewise pair well with both amps. The output resistance can be changed to provide a somewhat darker, bassier tone and of course tubes can be rolled in the Ember to provide an infinite number of signatures.

Although I haven't heard the Solstice I would think it will offer the same flexibility but with a bit less power.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #99 of 120
Thanks for the past couple posts and I have decided to go with the Polarisb for now. Howvever, I might get a tube amp later on.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #101 of 120
Alright, impressions time after 12 Hrs burn in and 3-4 Hours listening:

with stock tube and fiio x5 classic as dac into HD700, initially it sounded a lot more like solid state, a lot like my fiio e12. e12 is also warm and smooth sounding. with 5-6 hrs burn in, solstice's mids developed a lot more bloom, full bodied sound. after some more time, mids are very textured. they do not sound thin or distant at all, how HD700 sounds with less than good amplification. sound stage and air is better than e12 but they are good on solid state amp as well, i think biggest difference is in mids and treble which is never harsh.

I think fiio e12 has more detail, not as precise imaging but is a bit more harsh with hd700.

overall both offer big sound that fill HD700 soundstage nicely, biggest difference compared to daps or lesser amps. overall performance and transparency is on higher level than E12, with solstice taking you closer to performance, more real instruments and better dynamics.

i also started tube rolling with 6n6p my first upgraded tube. its even more detailed, precise, harder hitting bass, but sound stage seems a bit more focused resulting in a bit more upfront sound. thus stock tube sounds most neutral overall. i think its a matter of taste and stock tube itself is very good on its own. i need to do a bit more burn in after which i will write a review.

thanks for reading.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #103 of 120
Bit of a noob question but could someone explain how to go about removing a tube and putting in another? I'm planning on ordering probably two more tubes to use in junction with my HD 650 so any suggestions would be helpful. I'm considering the Amperex 6201 12AT7WA and/or the 12AX7/CV4004 - Mullard which both should add to the lows and give a bassy feel going by what i've read. Also will these work in the stock solstice or would I need the adapter? 

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #104 of 120
Just gently pull it from the socket like you would a plug. I recommend wearing latex gloves or something similar so as to not get oil from your fingers on it creating a hot spot much like a light bulb

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #105 of 120
I'm too the point where I don't think I can pull any harder without either damaging the amp or shattering the tube. I feel like this should be a lot easier than it is. Does the white piece come out as well with the tube?

EDIT: Ok, took a few youtube videos but I needed to wiggle it back and forth as I pulled. I'm glad I managed to do it correctly without any damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back