Garage1217 Project Solstice
Feb 2, 2015 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 120

BRMSlash

New Head-Fier
The Project Solstice has officially been announced:
http://garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_013.htm

From Garage1217's website.

Key Features of Solstice:
- Compact footprint at just 5 x 5.5" fits most any desktop space with ease. Solstice is specifically an amplifier which is how we made her so compact. There is no pre-amp out on Solstice.

- Tube rollers DREAM. Just like our other designs, Solstice can accept a vast qty of tubes... but wait, there's MOAR! Solstice also features full Auto-Bias just like our Flagship amplifier - Project Ember! Drop a tube in and she will set things up quickly without having to fiddle with dialing things in. The only thing you have to select is heater voltage which is a manual selection with Solstice

- Cannot stand the (no volume range) syndrome that many amplifiers suffer from? This is a hated problem in which you barely have any volume range before it becomes painfully loud when using super efficient headphones. Solstice features a quick change attenuation module that can be changed out for higher efficiency headphones that do not require as much power - giving usable range on the volpot

- Solstice has outstanding power for the price point with a wide power band and power where it matters, especially with planar magnetic headphones. With over 1W available into lower impedance cans, and usable power to 600 ohm, Solstice will power all but the hardest to drive headphones

- Solstice has 3 output impedance settings. Select from .1, 31 and 68R

- Love current hungry tubes like the 6n6p or 6n30P? No problem! Solstice features a beastly heater power supply based on our Project Ember supercharger delivering over 1A+ of heater current without breaking a sweat

- UNIQUE FEATURE. Solstice can be equipped with a jumper setup that we call OHV. Not "overhead valve" as all you car nuts will figure... It stands for Optional Heater Voltage. This setting can be customized to allow either 7V heater output OR a true 12V heater output.

When combined with our 6SN7 adapter, Solstice can use more than just a 6SN7. She can also use the cheaper 12sn7 family of tubes. Talk about versatile! Our designs can already roll more tubes successfully than any amplifier on the planet... and we just added MOAR!

The OHV feature will not be equipped by default - but by request during the order. The reason is that if you pull a bonehead move and change things around without reading instructions or understanding what it does, you can kill a tube in an ugly flash of light. This feature is for instruction readers only and for experienced tube junkies.

I'm very tempted...  need to save up some more cash :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 120
I'd like to build the kit for this.

Had planned to save for the Ember, but this is a bit more feasible.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 120
I see that Garage1217 have updated their website with the Solstice details. Unfortunately to purchase one, they've partnered with some **** website were you have to sign up to even look at the web page. Doubt I'd bother with the Solstice now. If it ever comes back to the Garage1217 website I may reconsider.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 120
That blows. What are the main differences between it and the Ember?

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 120
That blows. What are the main differences between it and the Ember?

ember is still the flagship. solstice has a smaller footprint, no preamp out, less power (1w at 32 ohms) and is only available from a touch of modern website.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 120
ember is still the flagship. solstice has a smaller footprint, no preamp out, less power (1w at 32 ohms) and is only available from a touch of modern website.

Okay, thanks. Wanted to verify that I wasn't missing something.

Seems like a good deal, having to go through touch of modern is a turn off. I suppose Ember goes back to first position.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 120
I see that Garage1217 have updated their website with the Solstice details. Unfortunately to purchase one, they've partnered with some **** website were you have to sign up to even look at the web page. Doubt I'd bother with the Solstice now. If it ever comes back to the Garage1217 website I may reconsider.

why does this matter? Buy it through that site then. Or wait.

Whats the big deal? I'm asking because I don't see it as an issue myself so I'm wondering why you care?

Jeremy is a killer dude. If I wanted another one of his amps this would not stop my purchase.

Oh and I didn't need to sign up for **** to look at this amp on that page. I just went there and looked.

Actually if it is that big of an issue to you; just contact Jeremy. I'm sure he would work with you.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 120
why does this matter? Buy it through that site then. Or wait.

Whats the big deal? I'm asking because I don't see it as an issue myself so I'm wondering why you care?

Jeremy is a killer dude. If I wanted another one of his amps this would not stop my purchase.

Oh and I didn't need to sign up for **** to look at this amp on that page. I just went there and looked.

Actually if it is that big of an issue to you; just contact Jeremy. I'm sure he would work with you.

ya if ToM killed ur family & ur sworeb against doin business w em, just email jeremey & im sure he'll understand

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 120
I've got a low tolerance for poorly designed websites, especially if they're trying to sell me stuff. So if I have to log in just to see what they're selling, they can take a hike.  I don't want to reward poor business practices and if I miss out on a good product, then so be it.

But you're right, I could probably email Jeremy and deal directly with him, although his hands could be tied if he's signed a contract with Touch of Modern.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #11 of 120
OK, I just managed to get in and look at the Solstice page on Touch of Modern.  I had to disable all their broken JavaScript and find the Solstice on the second page.

Here's a direct link that should get everyone through:
https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/project-solstice-by-garage1217/project-solstice-headphone-amplifier

Now that I can actually see the page, it looks like the sale ends on the 27th of February, so maybe there is hope that it'll return to Garage1217's website.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 120
hmmm interesting. i can access the garage1217 website without any issues or signing up for anything. just they say that the solstice is available via ToM and don't have it as a selectable option when checking out.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 120
I'm a frequent shopper on TouchOfModern and I advise you to not buy high-ticket items through them unless you are assured by the manufacturer of the item that they will back it.
ToM takes WEEKS to ship you the item and there are NO returns.

It is far better, for an item like this, to buy from a vendor that you know you can work with should you have any reason to get support for your purchase.

I would wait to see it on Garage1217

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 120
Bought my Solstice as a pre-order directly from G1217 Don't understand the new arrangement with Tof M but my unit came with the usual plex covers. The one on T of M has Aluminum  covers. Using a 12sn7 tube ( need 6sn7 /12sn7 9pin to 8pin adapter sold by G1217) it is truly impressive with my Senn HD 650s.  Compared to Ember which can do 2Wmax  the Solstice will do 1W. Again really enjoying the sound ,detail, sound stage treble sparkle ample bass all good will report more after more extensive listening with different phones. Jeremy makes it clear that to use a 12sn7 tube with adapter you would make sure amp is OFF before changing pins. The 6/12v jumper is on 12v and OHV is moved from default off to on ( Amp must be off before setting jumpers or bad things will happen) BTW Amp it is self biasing.  With 9pin tubes move OHV back to default off and  make any changes with Amp OFF!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back