Garage1217 Project Solstice
Apr 30, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #76 of 120

Yes, the amp is supposed to be completely silent.  You should probably email him to try and troubleshoot to see if it's your problem (ground loop) or the amp.

Well.. I wonder if the problem is on my end(ground loop). When I touch the output plug with my fingers the hum gets quieter and if I touch both input jacks it gets about 90% silent. I replaced the plugs in this room when I repainted it and some of them didn't have a ground (3rd)wire. Problem is I cant remember which ones that had the ground wires or not.Think I'll do some testing. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #77 of 120
Unlike SS amp, not all tube amps are completely silent. Have you tried to swap the tube to ensure it is not the tube that is noisy?

I have several tubes for ember, some completely silent, one has a little hum, but sound great.
I remember sometime back, i bought 6sj7 tube, not for garage amp but for darkvoice 337. It was noisy like hell in the beginning. You don't even want to listen to music with it. Turn it on 24 hours and then it completely silent. It is one or the rarest and BEST tube for dv337, but you really need to go through the noisy period, no other way. You can google it. It is also Skylab's experience.

I am not saying that your case is the same, but these things happens for tube amps.

May 20, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #81 of 120
  I put an ad up too, but if anyone wants to sell their Solstice, send me a PM!

I know @DigitalFreak is selling some Garage1217 amps but I don't recall which.  You might hit him up with a PM.

May 20, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #83 of 120
Jun 21, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #84 of 120
Thought this thread needed a bump after a month of inactivity.
tongue.gif

I also happen to have a unit on hand right now for the upcoming 6/27 meet in Denver CO where it'll be set up (link to the meet thread is in my sig), so some more impressions should emerge from that. I'll get around to some listening myself soon too, so I can write something about it.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #85 of 120
Thought this thread needed a bump after a month of inactivity. :p

I also happen to have a unit on hand right now for the upcoming 6/27 meet in Denver CO where it'll be set up (link to the meet thread is in my sig), so some more impressions should emerge from that. I'll get around to some listening myself soon too, so I can write something about it.

Enjoy man, it's a great amp! :blush:

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #86 of 120
Really wondering how the Solstice will handle the HE-500 in comparison to the Ember.

I heard the Ember on a loaner program and LOVED it. I know the power output is less on the Solstice, but I wonder how much real sonic impact it will have with planars.

Anyone who has tried both care to chime in? I really don't care about most of the extra Ember functionality (pre-amp out, etc.).

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #87 of 120
Really wondering how the Solstice will handle the HE-500 in comparison to the Ember.

I heard the Ember on a loaner program and LOVED it. I know the power output is less on the Solstice, but I wonder how much real sonic impact it will have with planars.

Anyone who has tried both care to chime in? I really don't care about most of the extra Ember functionality (pre-amp out, etc.).

Those older Hifiman planars are pretty tough to drive.  I'd go with the Ember to be safe.  

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #89 of 120
  How's the Solstice with the HD650 versus the Ember ?

Thanks

They're about the same.  The extra power int he Ember helps, as the HD650 likes as much power as you can feed it, but I don't recall the difference being too major.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back