Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Sep 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #571 of 2,154
congratz AMB and mister X for the fine product.

i got two simple questions

1)i have a gamma 1 on usb, but does anyone know how i can have a smooth playback while typing (i don't use usb keyboard). the sound has hickups while typing.

2)does anyone know how much the gamma 2 costs (full blown) in parts ?

thanks, looking forward to build one.
(or buy one from mister X, if i can't find time enough)
greetz

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #572 of 2,154
I was having an issue with the USB and ASIO4all. I found increasing the buffer size took care of my issues.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #573 of 2,154
Quote:

2)does anyone know how much the gamma 2 costs (full blown) in parts ?

The parts cost is roughly $230 not including tax and shipping from Mouser, Digi-key or Allied.

The parts cost drops to roughly $190 if you eliminate the USB to S/PDIF outputs, the filter select switch, the anti clipping switch and the Gamma 1 DAC section.
The caveat is you will have to design your own custom panels or make them by hand (which is a major PITA but would save you another $45 to $50).

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #575 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The parts cost is roughly $230 not including tax and shipping from Mouser, Digi-key or Allied.

The parts cost drops to roughly $190 if you eliminate the USB to S/PDIF outputs, the filter select switch, the anti clipping switch and the Gamma 1 DAC section.
The caveat is you will have to design your own custom panels or make them by hand (which is a major PITA but would save you another $45 to $50).

That $230 is including full++ y1 parts and all y2 parts ?

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #578 of 2,154
So using usb as input the y2 board doesn't get used at all and the output is the front panel jack?

In order for the y2 to kick in you must use either coaxial or optical and the analog outputs are either the mini or RCA jacks on back panel?

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #580 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So using usb as input the y2 board doesn't get used at all and the output is the front panel jack?

In order for the y2 to kick in you must use either coaxial or optical and the analog outputs are either the mini or RCA jacks on back panel?

No

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #581 of 2,154
From the circuit description on page one of this thread:

Quote:

γ2 leverages γ1's USB and S/PDIF receiver sections and taps the I²S datastream. Then, an (optional, jumper bypass-able) SRC4192 or AD1892 ASRC chip upsamples to 96KHz. The resultant data stream is then sent to the top-of-the-line Wolfson WM8741 or WM8742 DAC chip (WM8740 also supported).

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #582 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the circuit description on page one of this thread:

Quote:
γ2 leverages γ1's USB and S/PDIF receiver sections and taps the I²S datastream. Then, an (optional, jumper bypass-able) SRC4192 or AD1892 ASRC chip upsamples to 96KHz. The resultant data stream is then sent to the top-of-the-line Wolfson WM8741 or WM8742 DAC chip (WM8740 also supported).

OK. I really want to get this straight in my head.

I can use usb input and it gets the full monty from the y2? But only from the rear jacks?

The front mini jack is only output from the y1?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #583 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. I really want to get this straight in my head.

I can use usb input and it gets the full monty from the y2? But only from the rear jacks?

The front mini jack is only output from the y1?

ALL inputs feed both DACs, the y2 "full" has 2 DACs. 1 from the y1 and one from the y2. The front jack is connected to the y1 DAC and the rear jacks to the y2.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #584 of 2,154
Ok. I know I asked the same question yesterday but something I read threw me off today.

Pretty much I gather that all the inputs (including usb) are upsampled the same in the y2 and output through the rear panel jacks. The front panel mini jack is really just a y1 usb "lite" like I have now.....so I can do without that front panel jack as well as those spdif outputs and clean the front panel up real nice.

So I guess the question is what parts can I leave out of the full build to eliminate the front mini jack and the spdif outputs and their functionality? All I want is the full y2 upsampling output from all the inputs (tos, coax, usb).

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #585 of 2,154
So, to clarify, you don't want Y1 DAC output at all?

If that's so, you could leave out everything from R7D through to J3D and everything in the 'optional' area on the Y1 schematic, and
by the look of it U9D. And finally U6D and associated parts; the WM8501 appears to be the only thing using 4.5v.

This would leave you with only the Y1 inputs and the Y2 outputs.

You would want Mister X or AMB to confirm this though.

And, if you only want USB power you could also remove everything from J1D to U1D inclusive.

EDIT: Removed reference to U4D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back