Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Sep 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #541 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice try but....

A few comments about the link to the saved project at Mouser that was posted above:

You do not need a dual row 4 position pin header when U4 is populated.
You do not need U6 when either the WM8741 or WM8742 DAC chips are used.
You need more then 8 positions for the female pin headers when connecting a Gamma 1 full or Gamma 1 Plus version to the Gamma 2 and little birdie suggested you may be better not ordering them from Mouser.
wink.gif

The specified part number for the .1uF ceramic caps is: 80-C320C104K5R.
Why pay 10 cents extra per part for tape and reel packaged parts when you have to mess with them instead of plugging them right into the board?
The specified part number for the .01uF ceramic caps is 80-C315C103K5R.
The price is the same this time but the rest of the question remains?
(not like the $ total of those parts is a major problem but you may wish to consider revising your project)

Thanks for the input.
Please note I did say they needed to be checked and folks needed to triple check. I posted them as a convenience.
I had to go back to the office last night and did not have the time to double check them until this morning....
Whatever

Sep 17, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #543 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I haven't read through this whole thread yet (getting to it), but would one be able to mate an already-populated y1 "Full" to a y2?

Yes however if you split the PCB of the y1 you will need to come up with some way to physically secure the two y1 boards. You will need to add a header pin to the y1 which should be easy. Depending on how you jumpered some of the pads you may have to redo those for clearance issues however that may have only been for the prototype boards not sure if it is still required for y2.

But with little effort you should be able to make your y1 work.

Edit: Check AMB's gamma2 website he has a whole writeup on upgrading a y1
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma2/

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #547 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by funch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How 'bout ch'all?

Yep, you betcha.
What a steal.
The more I listen to the y2, the more I like it.
Many thanks to Marshall and Ti.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #548 of 2,154
Bah, the more I read about the y2, the more I look at my TC7520 in contempt. Thanks to AMB labs for making all of this incredible DIY kit available.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #549 of 2,154
Im $33 poorer now...

I hope this $15 dac sounds better then my $2.50 dac...

Now i guess i should jb weld my gamma lite back together...

While down here, what do i need to order to pop in a digital in for my gamma lite?

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #551 of 2,154
There wouldn't be any problem with saaay, sticking 2 x RCA outputs in there and putting a rotary switch in between them, would there? I'm looking to build a y1 with SPDIF in only, and then stick a y2 on top of it with 2 x RCA outputs that I can choose between..

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #553 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole
While down here, what do i need to order to pop in a digital in for my gamma lite?

You'd need to convert your γ1 from a Lite config to a Full config. The γ1 website has all that you need to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sochee
There wouldn't be any problem with saaay, sticking 2 x RCA outputs in there and putting a rotary switch in between them, would there? I'm looking to build a y1 with SPDIF in only, and then stick a y2 on top of it with 2 x RCA outputs that I can choose between..

No problem with that in concept, but there is no room in the default case for such a thing.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #554 of 2,154
Anyone wanna split a Farnell order? Tryin' to meet the 20£ minimum, all I need is U7 and X1 (OPA2365AID opamp and EuroQuartz or Aker oscillator). seems Farnell is indeed - as Ti suggests, one of the only distribution options for the nicer Euroquartz and Aker crystal's. Opamp shortage at mouser too, if you haven't noticed

I am only at 6.51!

C'mon I know somone else needs an oscillator!!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back