Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Sep 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #527 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in making one for myself, however, I've a lot of questions to bother you guys. Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

May I ask if the SQ of audio socket in gamma-1 is the same as that of the audio socket in gamma-2? The other question is whether it's possible to have one audio socket for amp and the other for headphones/earphones? If it's possible, which is which?

Moreover, if I'm to use BG NX Hi-Q 47uF/6.3V, should I add 1uF film cap parallel to it? I personally prefer Roederstein, may I use KP1830 series for both the 100pF and 220pF caps?

Thanks!

It is important to understand that the audio socket on the gamma-1 is the output of the WM8501 DAC, and the audio socket(s) on the Gamma-2 are the output of the WM8740/1/2(chose your poison, with the 8741 being the best, since it takes advantage of the ASRC chip, and the fancy filtering or the 8742, which is just a cost-reduced version of the 8741 with a slightly lower S/N ratio).

All things being equal, the 8741 output should have a noticeably better sound quality (otherwise the gamma-2 would be a waste of time/money) than the 8501 output.

That said, you can use both outputs simultaneously, one for Headphones and one for an amp. The question becomes: which output should have the better converter. I could say myself that my CTH/K601's are probably much better than any amp/speaker combo I have around the house, so I might choose the 8741 output for them.. Rather than making the choice, why not build an 1 into 2 output selector so that you can use the best output for both..

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #528 of 2,154
I would have thought you would drive the headphones from the y2 because of its dedicated output stage, which specifically designed to run a decent amount of current.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #529 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have thought you would drive the headphones from the y2 because of its dedicated output stage, which specifically designed to run a decent amount of current.

Well you certainly can drive headphones from the y2 directly if you use the larger output caps. However keep in mind the output stage has a pretty limited voltage swing so that maybe an issue for some headphones.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #530 of 2,154
Hey folks,

My gamma 2 seems to have developed an issue. I can still get a lock on USB and optical but don't get any sound out of the gamma 2 headphone jack. I still get sound out of the gamma 1 jack though.

Thoughts?

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #531 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks,

My gamma 2 seems to have developed an issue. I can still get a lock on USB and optical but don't get any sound out of the gamma 2 headphone jack. I still get sound out of the gamma 1 jack though.

Thoughts?

Well I had the same symptoms on mine when I first built it and it was a bad solder joint on the SMB crystal on the y2 board.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #534 of 2,154
It seems that all the parts for the complete y1 and y2 builds can be ordered from Mouser and AMB Parts Shop combined.

Has anyone posted importable Mouser BOMs for the complete y1 and y2 builds? It would be really handy for many of us, and it does seem kind of inefficient for each builder to copy and paste all the part numbers over to Mouser.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #535 of 2,154
I'll put mine up, I need to through them to make sure I did not add or subtract anything. I got the y1 from MisterX but I know I have modified them.
Gamma 1
Gamma 2
Please save these for yourselves and TRIPLE check them.
Forgot to mention, I got the case from Newark, cost $11.10 $17.44 with tax and shipping

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #536 of 2,154
Thanks Billyk, you've saved my brain a whole heap of hurt.
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #537 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by grcassidy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Billyk, you've saved my brain a whole heap of hurt.
beerchug.gif

x2
biggrin.gif

I've been ordering way too many parts lately. I just can't deal with the copy and pasting right now
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #539 of 2,154
Nice try but....

A few comments about the link to the saved project at Mouser that was posted above:

You do not need a dual row 4 position pin header when U4 is populated.
You do not need U6 when either the WM8741 or WM8742 DAC chips are used.
You need more then 8 positions for the female pin headers when connecting a Gamma 1 full or Gamma 1 Plus version to the Gamma 2 and little birdie suggested you may be better not ordering them from Mouser.
wink.gif

The specified part number for the .1uF ceramic caps is: 80-C320C104K5R.
Why pay 10 cents extra per part for tape and reel packaged parts when you have to mess with them instead of plugging them right into the board?
The specified part number for the .01uF ceramic caps is 80-C315C103K5R.
The price is the same this time but the rest of the question remains?
(not like the $ total of those parts is a major problem but you may wish to consider revising your project)

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #540 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't find good selections of anything over than dual 'same' windings on secondaries. I often need a 5v winding for digital things, a 10 or 12v winding for things and maybe a dual rail 12 or 15 for analog things. can't find such toroids very easily. so I end up with multiple smaller ones, which I admit is less elegant.

Here's a link to some pretty versatile off-the-shelf trannies:
Mci Transformer Corporation

They'll do either 5V and dual 12V, or 5V and dual 15V. Note that these are EI, rather than toroid, but the split bobbin design means less mains noise will make it into your supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back