Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Sep 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #496 of 2,154
Quote:

I just went over the build, they only have 1 version?

There is only going to be 1 version of the prefabricated end panels available but otherwise the only configuration "restriction" is the USB to S/PDIF converter (Gamma 1 config "C") will not work with the Gamma 2 because it does not produce an I2S output.

Quote:

On that note i think i only need half a gamma 1 for this setup.

You only need U1U plus the associated components and U1D plus it's associated components to build a Gamma 1 section for use with a Gamma 2 that will only have a USB input.
I had taken a picture of a similarly configured Gamma 1 section a while back but the glare on the board rendered it pretty useless so here is a simplified schematic instead.

Quote:

This being the case why would i need the dac board of the gamma 1 to get the gamma 2 working?

Among other things...U1D also provides current limiting which will help ensure that you do not damage your computer if you happen to make a mistake.

The Gamma 1 parts list sez:

Quote:

1.This part may be omitted if the USB board will never be attached to the DAC board, or if you want to hardwire for external DC power or USB power only (See jumper settings in the instructions section). Omitting these parts is not recommended. U1D provides controlled voltage ramp-up during turn-on and current limiting protection that would be defeated if it's not used.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #497 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the Buffalo would be the better comparison to the y2.

Since the Opus and Gamma2 use the same DAC chip, it would be interesting to compare the "implementation" parts of each. The Buffalo uses a different DAC (the ES9018), so you would be comparing two different animals. It still might be nice to compare, just to see what you get for 3X the price (my estimate considering all the extras you need to buy for the Buffalo such as casing, connectors, etc to make it the equiv of a Gamma2 build).

Since the Buffalo is only available as a completed/tested module, the Gamma2 is actually a more difficult build (although not as bad as some might think after studying up on SMD soldering).

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #498 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJPro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, is there a reason why the S11 isn't mentioned as a possible power supply for the G2? Overkill?

γ2 taps its power from the γ1 board, so the power supply is sort of beyond the scope of the γ2 website. For the γ1, you could use USB power, or you could use an external regulated 5V DC wallwart. Of course that "wallwart" could instead be a 5V σ11, if you wish. Overkill? Not really, since a fully-populated γ1+γ2 combo would draw more current than a PPA (and a bit less than M³). If you want very clean DC power, then σ11 would serve it up just fine!
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #499 of 2,154
I see that some people are confused about γ2 variations. There is no "full" vs. "lite" as far as the γ2 board itself goes. The only major option is whether to have upsampling or not (U4 and associated parts).

All the γ1 board configs (except USB-to-S/PDIF (C)) will work with γ2 and that basically determines what inputs and outputs you'd have. The only remaining question is whether to populate the WM8501 DAC and its surrounding parts on the γ1 for the front panel analog output. It only adds a few dollars to the cost but makes the unit more fun and flexible...

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #501 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by yzriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, I like the gamma 2 integrating receiver and DAC in one board, but it would better to have seperated buffer stage or interconnection to outboard buffer.

lol, what was the first sentence on the γ2 website, under "Overview"?
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #504 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the Buffalo is only available as a completed/tested module, the Gamma2 is actually a more difficult build (although not as bad as some might think after studying up on SMD soldering).

as we say in the computer business 'the whole BOARD is the FRU' (field replaceable unit). I didn't like that. I want to be able to get individual parts. the ESS chip is special sourced and regular mortals (lol) can't get them or get them easily.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #506 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
γ2 taps its power from the γ1 board, so the power supply is sort of beyond the scope of the γ2 website. For the γ1, you could use USB power, or you could use an external regulated 5V DC wallwart. Of course that "wallwart" could instead be a 5V σ11, if you wish. Overkill? Not really, since a fully-populated γ1+γ2 combo would draw more current than a PPA (and a bit less than M³). If you want very clean DC power, then σ11 would serve it up just fine!
wink.gif

Would it be possible to run both an M3 and a Gamma2 from one S11? I ask because this is the path to uber-anal audiophile nirvana-dom-ness-osity. I already know my usb power sucks and a wallwart is an audiophile abomination.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #508 of 2,154
Just run it through a magic cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
m3 is 24v (and higher) single rail; the gamma2 is 5v single rail.

how you gonna burn off the diff? pretty big diff, don't you think?

wink.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #510 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ac wallwarts are fine; they simply 'defer the problem' (lol) to a local ac-to-dc converter. that's fine.

linear wallwarts are 2nd best. they can be fine, too.

switching ones: those you want to avoid.

Ok cool. It's no secret I don't know nuthin'.

Speaking of magic cables I love my Gamma1 so much I splurged on a Cardas interconnect (it's short with both ends at right angles). I'm sorry to report I don't hear any difference over the 1 strand 100 guage POS cable that came with my FIIO amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back