Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Sep 22, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #602 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dual panel mount mini-jacks instead of RCA jacks?
Sounds kinda silly at first but mini to XLR adapters are pretty common.

Never thought about doing that....do you think there would be space in the standard enclosure?

I think I may have to build one of these before I get back to the B22
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Jeff

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #603 of 2,154
It looks like cylindrical style mini jacks (digikey # CP-43502PM-ND as an example) would fit in the default enclosure but I dunno if you would be able to fit an air-wired passive balanced output stage in there as well.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #604 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a warning for those who uses Mouser's project functionality... If you put y1 and y2 parts in separate projects, note that if they share components, like

those particular parts will not be additive when you add both projects to your shopping cart. In my case, I added y2, then y1, and ended up missing parts above for y2.

Same thing happened to me, I didn't notice the error until I received my parts yesterday. I gave their customer service a call an hour ago and had them ship out the missing products while waiving the shipping fee. They said it would be here tomorrow (gotta love their quick shipping).

Still waiting on Canadian customs to release my amb.org package. Once that arrives I'm good to go. Looks like it'll be a weekend project for me. The only part I couldn't find online was the mini-B usb jack. I picked up another one that I thought would work, but turns out it doesn't have through hole connections, but rather surface mount legs. Not sure whether I can make it work?

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #605 of 2,154
It probably will, but if you subject it to a lot of connections/disconnections it'll wear out fast. Maybe hardwiring your USB cable is an option.

Mouser has the USB mini-B connectors back in stock now.
45.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #606 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like cylindrical style mini jacks (digikey # CP-43502PM-ND as an example) would fit in the default enclosure but I dunno if you would be able to fit an air-wired passive balanced output stage in there as well.

Couldn't you just take the balanced outputs right off the DAC? Or would there not be enough gain, or high output impedance, or something else?

I assume you wouldn't need a balanced/se switch if you only have one set of outputs connected at a time.

Jeff

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #607 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtostenr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't you just take the balanced outputs right off the DAC? Or would there not be enough gain, or high output impedance, or something else?

I assume you wouldn't need a balanced/se switch if you only have one set of outputs connected at a time.

Honestly, if you or anyone else wants balanced outputs, then build a DAC that was designed specifically with balanced outputs in mind. Trying to draw balanced outputs from the y2 just doesn't make sense considering its design goals and physical footprint.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #608 of 2,154
Actually, the gamma-2 meets all of my basic requirements:

- good DAC chip
- relatively inexpensive
- small
- balanced outputs (right off DAC chip)

All I'm looking for is something that I can use to drive the balanced inputs on my B22 once it is finished. My next project will be either a Buffalo DAC or hopefully a new DAC designed by AMB to complement the B22 (hint, hint
wink.gif
). Once that is done, I'd like to be able to use this as my portable DAC.

If all I have to do is add a couple of jacks to give me balanced outs then I think this is the perfect DAC for my needs. The only issue I see is if I need an output stage or buffer or something, then I may be SOL.

Jeff

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #609 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, if you or anyone else wants balanced outputs, then build a DAC that was designed specifically with balanced outputs in mind.

or, use the SSM2142 or THAT1646. those do a good job of converting SE to balanced; and pro audio guys use these quite often.

nothing 'wrong' with good SE/B conversion on a single chip. or 2 chips, as the dip8 is only single channel. and I think you do want to have a buffer BEFORE the SSM chips; but its also possible the dac chip can be buffer enough to 'boot' the SSM chips into operation
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #610 of 2,154
But the WM8742 already has balanced outputs, so there would be no need for the SE/B converter. I just wonder if the balanced outputs right off the dac chip would be appropriate to drive a preamp/amp with.

Jeff

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #612 of 2,154
Ahh there it is...thanks m1abrams. I read through this thread a couple months ago and thought I had seen something on this subject.

Thanks for everyone's input, now I'll just have to see if I can find the time and $$$ to start working on this.

Jeff

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #613 of 2,154
Quote:

Actually, the gamma-2 meets all of my basic requirements:

- good DAC chip
- relatively inexpensive
- small
- balanced outputs (right off DAC chip)

Yes, but even though the DAC chip itself is balanced, the doesn't offer balanced outputs. You still need balanced filtering, buffering and line driving, and the y2 just isn't set up for that.

Quote:

Ahh there it is...thanks m1abrams. I read through this thread a couple months ago and thought I had seen something on this subject.

I don't see that it helps, for the reasons I said above. If you want balanced outputs, I earnestly believe you would be better served waiting for a DAC specifically designed with balanced outputs in mind.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #614 of 2,154
tacitapproval, even if your 4.5V rail measures a tid bit low it should still work. There is still another problem that you need to fix. First of all, make sure you're starting with a known, working γ1. (What configuration is it?) And then make sure γ2's J3 is (or is not) installed to match. Is there a solder joint problem? As I said before, 90%+ of the time, problems with γ1/γ2 are related to bad solder joints.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #615 of 2,154
Quote:

Yes, but even though the DAC chip itself is balanced, the doesn't offer balanced outputs. You still need balanced filtering, buffering and line driving, and the y2 just isn't set up for that.

Yes, that was my question, are all those things you mentioned necessary in this application. I think it was answered adequately with AMB's post.

Quote:

I don't see that it helps, for the reasons I said above. If you want balanced outputs, I earnestly believe you would be better served waiting for a DAC specifically designed with balanced outputs in mind.

I see your point, but this is just a temporary solution, so I'm not too worried about it. Just as long as I'm not going to blow anything up
smily_headphones1.gif

I assure you, when I go to build a dac for the long-term it will be something like the Buffalo.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back