Gaming / music headphones
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

leungie

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Been pretty edgy this week and thought I'll treat myself to a new pair of headphones tonight to try ease the 'edge'.

I've seen on this forum that the M50 and A900 recommended for gaming purposes.

Would these be clearly superior to my ES10s for gaming?

Would grados, say SR225 or Shure 840 be good for gaming?

In terms of M50 vs say AD900, which one would be superior for gaming and for music?

Thank you very much in advance,

James

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 6
For FPS gaming (where you'd like to hear someone sneaking up behind you) the AD700 is highly recommended around here.  I don't know how the M50 stacks up in that area though.

For music, the M50 tilts a bit towards the bass, while the AD700 tilts a bit towards the treble, so it's a matter of taste.  Bass head or not?  If that doesn't matter a whole lot, then you may prefer the M50s since they're closed and can block out some sound.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 6
There are really 3 phones recommended for gaming. AD700, HD555 and DT770/80. There have been 10-20 threads in the past two weeks about this same topic.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Been pretty edgy this week and thought I'll treat myself to a new pair of headphones tonight to try ease the 'edge'.

I've seen on this forum that the M50 and A900 recommended for gaming purposes.

Would these be clearly superior to my ES10s for gaming?

Would grados, say SR225 or Shure 840 be good for gaming?

In terms of M50 vs say AD900, which one would be superior for gaming and for music?

Thank you very much in advance,

James

Have to say that Ive been gaming with the 840s lately and they are preeeetttty sweet 
biggrin.gif

However, it should be noted if you're playing FPS mainly, they DO NOT have a very large soundstage which will reduce positioning capability. I always lose track of people in Bad Company because of this 
angry_face.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 6
i can tell you that i have owned the m50's and used them on my astro mixamp.  THEY ARE HORRIBLE.  so much it made me sick to my stomache.  There is no sound positioning and where there is  there is absolutely no debth.  It's like there is a sound (that is not an in your head fealing) and then a wall that keeps you from being able to pinpoint sounds.  The only thing i have found is that most dynamic headphones made for music do not work good for gaming.  My next step is not coming from reading reviews entierly but from my common sense that it seems more logical to get a headphone that was made for listening through a home theater receiver.  The Denon ahd line.  This line was originaly started as a headphone to listen to movies while late at night home theater speakers were not a good idea.  After reading this i have searched a lot reveiws and they are supposedly astrounding on the sound stage and debth of the sound for a closed back headphone.  The astro a40 headset is the best i have found so far and it is an open back headphone.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back