Gaming Headphones?
Mar 8, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
.... Wow .... Do you even have an X-fi? I have owned those, and the zalman 5.1 headphones, and both of them are crap compared to my A900 with CMSS3D. If you have an Audigy2, you can not compare it's CMSS3D, the X-fi has a totally new version that wipes the floor with the Audigy2.

Elite Pro's. I just get better absolute positioning with the Medusa which I find most important in an FPS. Not a pro gamer by any means though. Sound quality is not so hot of course but for a gaming specific headphone and the ability for me to pick out with the most certainty where a sound is coming from, it outdoes every other headphone I have. And that includes the Orpheus with CMSS-3D. The better phones + CMSS does do a smooth transition of movement of sound around your head better than the Medusa, which is much less realistic in that respect.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Use the search function

There have been over thirty new "hay dudez what r teh gaming canz lololol I AM TOO COOL FOR SEARCH SO BE MY ANSWER MONKEYS" in the last three weeks.

Chillout man
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the HD555 is about as expensive as gaming headphones should get. As someone said before, gaming is all about sound positioning and impact. The HD555 are great in both respects. Oh yeah, the comfort is great too, but won't be as good as your DT880.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #18 of 48
Alright, alright. A900. They're amazing gaming headphones and are very capable all-arounders as well. However, they're closed - a great benefit in games, granted, but if you need to hear the world around you not so much. Have you considered the Audio Technica AD700? It's not as bass-heavy as the A900, but it allows you to perceive the outside world better and may be more objectively neutral.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
lol NotJeffBuckley is on his period again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Chillout man
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Beyer DT770-80, end of discussion. I've been playing a lot of Call of Duty 2 this week on my 360, and they are absolutely gorgeous with this game... far better than my mid-fi speaker rig, even out of my mid-fi Pioneer reciever.

If you haven't heard explosions on the 770-80, well, you haven't heard explosions.

QFA!

Duuuuuuuude!!! Liek I just scored my first pair of L337 canz - the big bosso Beyer DT 770-80/Pro! Anyting else you use makes you a friggin' n00b!!!!

Seriously, though...

I'd never spend $199 for a pair of cans just for gaming, but these cans are awesome, and they sound great for music, movies, etc. I use 'em with my X-Fi Xtreme Music to play BF2, and I use them (unamped so far) with my iPod Nano. So, I get a lot of use out of them, and it sounds like you're a serious gamer, so you should invest in equipment that will give you an advantage. Believe me, these things DO help your in-game performance IF you listen and use your head.

The difference in quality of these cans between the $50 stuff you can buy at Best Buy is HUGE!! These cans let me hear things in BF2 that I never heard before. I am more aware of footsteps, calls of "Grenade!" The sound of treads on asphalt... EVERYTHING is better!!

I'm a fan of these things for life!

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
Anyway, I was wondering if you just bought the DT880 recently, as it was not in your profile, while the SR60s were.

Nope, I bought them about Christmas time. I had the SR-60's and HD-555's in my profile as well at the time of posting, but immediately went in and took them out because I sold them not too long ago.
tongue.gif

Also guys, I forgot to note that I'd be willing to sell/trade my DT880's for whatever I get and use them for music as well, in response to some of you saying I shouldn't pay a lot for "gaming exclusive headphones". In addition, like I said before, keep in mind that this will be powered by an M^3.

The general idea here is that I should get a pair of DT770's or A900's. What are the pro's and cons of each, and also what's the best place to buy either/or and for how much? I got my DT880's from Meier Audio a while back, but they took 3 weeks to arrive and I really don't feel like waiting that long again for new precious cans.
580smile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode
Nope, I bought them about Christmas time. I had the SR-60's and HD-555's in my profile as well at the time of posting, but immediately went in and took them out because I sold them not too long ago.
tongue.gif

Also guys, I forgot to note that I'd be willing to sell/trade my DT880's for whatever I get and use them for music as well, in response to some of you saying I shouldn't pay a lot for "gaming exclusive headphones". In addition, like I said before, keep in mind that this will be powered by an M^3.

The general idea here is that I should get a pair of DT770's or A900's. What are the pro's and cons of each, and also what's the best place to buy either/or and for how much? I got my DT880's from Meier Audio a while back, but they took 3 weeks to arrive and I really don't feel like waiting that long again for new precious cans.
580smile.gif

I have the A900's and use them for gaming. They are amazing.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 48
Just bought some A900s in the last 5 mins.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #26 of 48
see avatar

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #27 of 48
never mind - delete

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #28 of 48
Haha, so which ones? I'm getting mixed opinions here. A900's or DT770's?
biggrin.gif

Pro's/Con's of each would be helpful, both in gaming and music (but mainly gaming).

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #29 of 48
I've heard that the HD-570s make excellent gaming headphones. They're not overly musical, especially by Senn standards, but they're wonderfully comfortable (moreso than the 650s, but don't let that get out). I find they're also fairly easy to drive at reasonable levels (sufficient volume from a soundcard output), and can be had pretty reasonably on the used market. One caveat, they are open air, which may or may not be an issue, depending on where you game.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode
Haha, so which ones? I'm getting mixed opinions here. A900's or DT770's?
biggrin.gif

Pro's/Con's of each would be helpful, both in gaming and music (but mainly gaming).

A900 Pros:

1. Angled driver offers more realistic sound presentation. Game music is generally mixed to be heard on speakers, and these have a more speaker-like presentation than the DT770.

2. Comfort. These are literally the most comfortable headphones in the pricerange, bar none.

3. More treble. These have more treble than the DT770, allowing you to hear things like footsteps, shots, etc. with more clarity.

4. And possibly most importantly, no need for an amp even out of a sound card. The A900 are among the easiest to drive headphones around, and I can tell you from personal experience that they don't benefit from an amplifier in the slightest. They will go as loud as you want without distortion and without mangling the waveform from a lack of power.

In music, they're more balanced than the DT770; the DT770 are bass monsters, and have great, tight, heavy bass but it does overpower the rest of the music. As such, they're well suited to bass-heavy genres such as hip-hop or house, but the bass is too much for anyone but a truly dedicated
basshead.gif
otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back