Gaming Headphones?
Mar 8, 2006 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
Lately, I've been really getting into serious gaming (like professional) and stuff. Mainly, FPS but also RTS games. Right now, you can see the current setup I have in my sig. However, I was wondering what the best gaming headphones are, and how I might change my setup accordingly.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 48
I'm sorry, I didn't see any (I just glanced over the first page of threads). Even so, would you mind giving me a suggestion based on my needs?
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 48
lol NotJeffBuckley is on his period again.

Basically, if you're gaming, almost any headphone $50 and up are good, because you just want to hear detail (i.e. footsteps in cs:s) rather than clarity. I mean, when you're getting shot at, do you really care if the gun sound is off?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 48
a500/a700/a900 or dt770-80 (might cost a bit if purchased with an amp) those are the best gaming headphones handsdown, just depends on your budget...

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 48
I use the non-USB Speed Link Medusa 5.1 phones. There are good and bad points about these but I use them. They're comfy, the rumble works, positioning is excellent and easier IMHO to pinpoint sound sources than 2-channel phones with even Creative's X-Fi CMSS-3D. They are interference-prone and the cheapo 5.1 amp has to be sited carefully, apparently some people have had durability issues but I've had no problems so far. My other gaming phones are the Sennheiser Orpheus and the Stax Omega II
plainface.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I use the non-USB Speed Link Medusa 5.1 phones. There are good and bad points about these but I use them. They're comfy, the rumble works, positioning is excellent and easier IMHO to pinpoint sound sources than 2-channel phones with even Creative's X-Fi CMSS-3D. They are interference-prone and the cheapo 5.1 amp has to be sited carefully, apparently some people have had durability issues but I've had no problems so far. My other gaming phones are the Sennheiser Orpheus and the Stax Omega II
plainface.gif

.... Wow .... Do you even have an X-fi? I have owned those, and the zalman 5.1 headphones, and both of them are crap compared to my A900 with CMSS3D. If you have an Audigy2, you can not compare it's CMSS3D, the X-fi has a totally new version that wipes the floor with the Audigy2.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 48
Beyer DT770-80, end of discussion. I've been playing a lot of Call of Duty 2 this week on my 360, and they are absolutely gorgeous with this game... far better than my mid-fi speaker rig, even out of my mid-fi Pioneer reciever.

If you haven't heard explosions on the 770-80, well, you haven't heard explosions.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
Your DT880 will suffice, and please upgrade your profile.
smily_headphones1.gif

Update my profile? I haven't changed anything since what's already in it.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I was already considering the DT770's, even if not used for gaming (I'm into bassy stuff). I like music that hits. How would they be, compared to my DT880's as far as accuracy goes in gaming? I'd like to be able to hear ambient/environmental sounds and stuff, but mainly directional sound so I can hear footsteps in CS:S.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to include that it will be amped, with my M3, so keep that in mind when making suggestions.
580smile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode
Update my profile? I haven't changed anything since what's already in it.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I was already considering the DT770's, even if not used for gaming (I'm into bassy stuff). I like music that hits. How would they be, compared to my DT880's as far as accuracy goes in gaming? I'd like to be able to hear ambient/environmental sounds and stuff, but mainly directional sound so I can hear footsteps in CS:S.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to include that it will be amped, with my M3, so keep that in mind when making suggestions.
580smile.gif

The DT880 simply SUCKS for games. It doesn't have the impact necessary, let alone the pushy lower register needed. You can certainly hear things around you, but no game or movie is really mixed for a set of cans that places emphasis on the higher end. I used them for a while, and they just don't get the job done.

The DT770 is just as comfortable as the 880, closed, and has the lower end that I feel games these days are MADE to optimize. The "ideal" gaming setup to the average person has a nice big subwoofer, right?

As for accuracy, I think they're going to be far better than any speaker setup you'll find in that price-range or headphone price-range.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 48
Hmm, ok. I'm more of "as long as its accurate, quality doesn't really make a difference in the frag count" believer, so maybe I was off.

Anyway, I was wondering if you just bought the DT880 recently, as it was not in your profile, while the SR60s were.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 48
K1000 *** nothing else compares except the Big O. With an X-fi talk about literally getting your head blown the F off!....of course, there's an entry fee around 1k or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back