Gaming headphones for the Xbox 360
Nov 16, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #16 of 30
I will be using these headphones for nothing but gaming, just saying that. I have enough IEMs for music.

Does anyone else have any more suggestions for this?

Also, if this matters, for my IEMs now hooked up to my TV I need a 3.5mm extension cable. I have a 6ft right now and it works perfectly. Just saying so if that matters in any way.

And would I need an amp for all this to work? I don't really understand what an amp is, but I guess it increases the sound somehow...haha, I have no idea. Sorry I'm so stupid about headphones guys.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnvisible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be using these headphones for nothing but gaming, just saying that. I have enough IEMs for music.

Does anyone else have any more suggestions for this?

Also, if this matters, for my IEMs now hooked up to my TV I need a 3.5mm extension cable. I have a 6ft right now and it works perfectly. Just saying so if that matters in any way.

And would I need an amp for all this to work? I don't really understand what an amp is, but I guess it increases the sound somehow...haha, I have no idea. Sorry I'm so stupid about headphones guys.

Since your TV has a 3.5mm headphone out, it depends on the headphone. If your headphones are low sensitivity (high impedance or misleadingly low impedance like the Denon D5000s), then yes you'll need an amp. However if you've got Audio-Technicas or lower end Sennheisers (HD555s for example), you should be fine directly out of the TV until you can spring for an amp.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since your TV has a 3.5mm headphone out, it depends on the headphone. If your headphones are low sensitivity (high impedance or misleadingly low impedance like the Denon D5000s), then yes you'll need an amp. However if you've got Audio-Technicas or lower end Sennheisers (HD555s for example), you should be fine directly out of the TV until you can spring for an amp.

Well, since I am only using these for music, and these will only be for home usage when gaming, I really don't wanna spend over $110 or so on a set.

And also, what is an amp REALLY for? I'm confused what it actually does for the phones themselves.

Also, I think what I just might do for the mic is buy the new MadCatz Xbox 360 Throat Communicator around my neck and then use a pair of phones for audio. Does that sound like a decent idea?

I'm still contemplating what type of phones to get also.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 30
With the A40 mixamp, you're allowed to get sound through a TOSlink cable which, I heard, is far more superior to a 3.5 mm cable.

I really don't see how the HPXs wouldn't fit your needs, as I've gotten impressions from the tech section of a GAMING FORUM on a GAMING SITE.

I believe you can purchase the HPXs with a 3.5mm adapter also, as well as an A40 mixamp adapter.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 30
Nov 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 30
Bump.

I have decided to use the new Modern Warfare 2 throat communicator as a mic, due to the following:

1. Very comfortable I have heard
2. Doesn't get in the way of anything, such as no extra cords or anything and no need for adapters cause it plugs straight in my controller
3. Cheap prices on eBay

So now all I need is just a set of headphones. I don't think I will buy an amp, cause I really don't see a need for it. Plug my headphones into my TV and put on my throat communicator and there you go, full setup. Still contemplating a pair of headphones though, for no more than $110.

I have heard some people say the AD700s have horrible bass, so I probably won't get those, since that mainly is what I am looking for in headphones for gaming. How about 595's? They are pretty popular, haha.

May 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #24 of 30
Bass is in my opinion unnecessary for gaming. (unless there is absolutly none.) Ath-ad700 is going to be my next gaming purchase. And please post on how the throat communicator performs. I'm thinking bout buying it.

May 28, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #25 of 30
I disagree about not getting the HPX (or HPA2). They are considered the BEST gaming headset outside of the MMX300 (which is worth quadruple the price). They actually have a VERY good sound even for music. They do everything relatively well for gaming, including bass, clarity, and positioning. Even one of my audiophile friends has the HPX and prefers it over the AD700 and a crapload of other higher end headphones, which he tested with gaming.

I also disagree about bass not being important in gaming. Granted, it ISN'T important in competitive gaming, but for any other game that you're not fixated on your online rankings, bass adds to the immersion. A good headphone can sound as good as a home theater, when paired with virtual surround.

That's why I'd own two gaming headphones. One bass light for overall clarity and precision, and another for home theater like sound. Or choose something like the DT880 which is a good mixture of both.

The AD700 is a serious gaming headphone, but has absolutely no fun factor to them, outside of their outstanding soundstage and positioning. They are a dullfest when playing in a non-competitive setting, like a campaign or something.

May 28, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #26 of 30
Thank you. The reason I was going to get the ad700s because everyone says they are the best for gaming. I've been looking for some good headphones also good for music. I am not trying to hijack this thread. I'm simply asking the same question.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #27 of 30

Quote:
When I said put it on the TV speakers so it comes through the headphones, I meant that it will directly come through the headphones. All sound that comes out your TV normally will be redirected to the headphones, including voices.

I dont think this is possible.  I have a pair of Koss Porta Pros that I like to use for gaming but I never use my mic while simultaneously using the headphones.  Why?  Because there is no setting anywhere to force other players voices to come through the speakers/headphones.  When the mic is plugged in other players voices are forced to go through the headphone mic speaker.  I dont know of any stand alone mic you can buy for the 360.  The MW2 throat mic (which I've read is horrible) even has an ear piece in which it will force players voices to.  I went on last night after I read your post and searched further.  Came up empty.  If you're certain of a way to do this I'd love to hear it.  

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #28 of 30
I'm pretty sure you just hit the Xbox guide button and go to check settings and preferences. There should be a setting for voice, allowing you to route the chat output to the speakers as well. 

If you end up getting a Mixamp and an outboard mic (Zalman clip on, Labtec mod, etc) you can get a Y adapter (not sure if it's included any more) to plug both your headphones and mic into the Mixamp. The Mixamp also comes with an adapter cable that connects it to the Xbox 360 controller. This setup would give you convincing simulated surround sound, voice chat over the same headphones, and full control over the blend of game/chat volume levels. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back