Gaming headphones for the Xbox 360
Nov 16, 2009 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

lnvisible

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first post in the Headphones (full-size) section, since I never really have a point in coming here, since I am more of an IEM fanatic. So please bare with me since my knowledge in this field is quite...blah.

Also, before we start off, I DO play on Xbox LIVE competitively, to an extent. So some sort of mic is a MUST, whether it be attached by default or with a "boom mic mod".

I decided yesterday to plug in my UE Super.fi 5EBs into my TV and play some MW2 online. Long story short, I could not believe at all the amount of extra sound I was hearing. I know people always talk about being able to hear footsteps and stuff like that, but I could FEEL someone walking behind me. The gun shots going out of my gun and going near me sounded like someone was punching me in the face, haha, but in a good way! I have never used headphones with gaming before where all the audio is directly in your ears so this was quite astounding for me.

The reason I come in here making a thread is that I want to keep using headphones for gaming. The only problem is that I have no full size headphones...at all. Also, there is no way to attach a mic to my EBs cause...well, they are IEMs, lol. So I come in here asking for some suggestions on full size headphones for gaming.

Someone on a gaming forum I visit uses AD700s with a boom mic mod. He uses this mic with this type of industrial velcro tape. Here are some pictures:

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

Now I am not sure how he would go about doing this or setting up this mod, but he said everything works amazing. The comfort of the phones, and the quality of the mic is top notch.

I was hoping to just pick up one of those and do the exact same thing he done, but I thought I would get a second opinion from a forum based around headphones, haha.

If anyone needs any more info about what exactly I am looking for, then please say it. I feel like I made this thread a little plain for some reason.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 30
I wasn't really making this thread for a tutorial, even though that would be nice.

I was making this more of a headphone suggestion thread. I just posted those pictures and info for what I was basing my knowledge and criteria off.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 30
if some one could make a tutorial on how to get your own headphones and a microphone to work with the xbox (mainly the microphone part and still get audio in the headphones) it would be nice as I have a few headphones lying around.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 30
How do you hook up a separate mic to work as your Xbox Live mic?

For the headphones, you're going to need whatever headphones you choose (give us a budget so we can recommend something), and an amplifier (plug headphones into amp, run an interconnect from the amps input to the TVs RCA output). Alternatively you could find a 1/8" or 1/4" (whatever your headphone plug is) female to RCA male interconnect and just hook up to the TV without an amp, but with some headphones that won't work due to impedance.

There's your audio all set up and ready to go. As for the mic, if you can find a way to hook up a mic to work with Xbox Live, just buy a Zalman ZM-1 clip-on mic and put it on the headphone cord. If you can't figure out how to set it up, the solution is simple: put the Xbox Live headset around your neck, set the incoming voices to come through your TV speakers (so it comes through the headphones), and just put the mic out so you can talk into it while hearing voices through headphones.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 30
the issue i have there is that the voices would be rather quiet, which was why i want to find a way to get the voice source out on it's own so i can amp it or something.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 30
Budget for headphones : $110
Amp: Thinking about the A40 Mixamp

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 30
Bump.

Ok. Let me reword this whole thread.

I'm looking for a set of full size headphones that are great for gaming, such as a broad soundstage with a lot of bass and clarity.

I only posted those AD700 pictures and links as an EXAMPLE of what I am trying to do. I'm not sure how the AD700s stack up against other headphones such as the HD595 or other ones for gaming, so that is what I made this thread for. I need suggestions for full size headphones for console gaming.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 30
Why the RX700s? They look cheaply built?

Also, what does everyone think about the A40 Mixamp?

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 30
I've heard that the Turtle Beach HPX's are unparalled in positional audio, which is obviously important for FPS's.

And, did you get the pics of the AD700's from the MLGPro Forums?

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 30
I did not. I got them from Fragtality on Halo3Forum.com, but he might have posted that on the MLGPro Forums also.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 30
He did. I'm gonna try his mod if I don't like the HPX's.

I should be getting the AD700s and the HPXs around X-mas time.

Edit: The mixamp is great. I use it for XBL Chat and Skype alot, I can even do both at the same time.

But I'd only suggest the mixamp strictly for gaming purposes, which you seem to want anyways.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnvisible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the RX700s? They look cheaply built?

Also, what does everyone think about the A40 Mixamp?

The RX700s are fairly sturdy, and are excellent gaming headphones as well as being very good for music. I use mine for gaming, and prefer them over my other full size closed headphones. This is the order of preference for:

Games
1. JVC HA RX700
2. Denon D1001
3. JVC HA DX1
4. JVC HA DX3
5. JVC HA RX900

Music
1. JVC HA DX1.
2. JVC HA DX3
3. JVC HA RX700
4. Denon D1001
5. JVC HA RX900

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadly55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the issue i have there is that the voices would be rather quiet, which was why i want to find a way to get the voice source out on it's own so i can amp it or something.

When I said put it on the TV speakers so it comes through the headphones, I meant that it will directly come through the headphones. All sound that comes out your TV normally will be redirected to the headphones, including voices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by checkzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did. I'm gonna try his mod if I don't like the HPX's.

I should be getting the AD700s and the HPXs around X-mas time.

Edit: The mixamp is great. I use it for XBL Chat and Skype alot, I can even do both at the same time.

But I'd only suggest the mixamp strictly for gaming purposes, which you seem to want anyways.

For the love of god don't use the HPXs, get a real pair of headphones. With a decent amp to drive them, they will outperform 5.1 headphones in both SQ and positional audio by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back