Gaming headphones for 100$ (for surround)
Feb 15, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #91 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrScary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if you dont have an X-fi forget it dont even bother buying anything just go get some 40.00 phones or maybe stop by radio shack and get some KSC 75's ... don't waste your time here many are on a mission for moronic attitude instead of assistance.

Um, no, absolutely not. While the source obviously matters, saying that you need an X-Fi for anything above $40 headphones is absolute madness. The X-Fi really isn't that good of a source/amplifier anyway, but regardless, you're going to have to go a lot higher with the headphones before you need a good DAC for good sound. And guess what? By that point, you won't bother with the X-Fi, which has very little value at all, and you'll just go with something like an E-MU 0404.

Edit: Unless there's something that I'm totally missing out on, which I suddenly fear that I am. If so, I apologize
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #92 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for speakers, I have the following variants:
1) ABIT IDOME DS500W 2.0 - 108$
AlwaysLowest Systems Laptops Displays PDAs Storage Printers Memory Lowest Prices
ABIT IDOME DS500 Multimedia Speaker System 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System 50W RMS
2) M-AUDIO STUDIOPHILE DX4 2.0 - 112$
Amazon.com: M-Audio Desktop Audio Monitoring System: Electronics
3) SWAN M10 2.1 - 109$
The Audio Insider - Home loudspeaker systems and reviews
4) HARMON KARDON SOUNDSTICKS 2.1 - 81$
ClubIT Product - JBL SOUNDSTICKSII 40 watts 2.1 Clear Speaker System - Retail
5) ALTEC LANSING FX4021 - 83$
Amazon.com: Altec Lansing FX4021 2.1 Powered Audio Speaker System: Electronics
6) KLIPSH PROMEDIA 2.1 - 50$ (used)
KLIPSCH PROMEDIA 2.1 COMPUTER SPEAKER SYSTEM - eBay (item 160208191320 end time Feb-19-08 14:31:40 PST)

What will be the best choice ? (Are there any better speakers for the same price ?)

Only this question is left.
The AT AD700 and the Razer Barracuda AC-1 were chosen.

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #95 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
compared to what? What headphones were you using before? I still question the specifically made for gaming claim.. Sounds like marketing BS to me, unless they can show frequency charts, or give in depth information how they came about this, instead of, you can hear people around corners..

i have those cans also (along with many others). the steelsounds have VERY clear highs and mids (but no bass) which makes it very easy to hears whats going on around u and hear other peeps talking on teamspeak, etc- no deep voice drownouts! for this purpose they excel. they are not for audiophiles by a longshot and i use them only for matches and scrims

also- since i dont know how to do multiple quotes:

denis14! do NOT get the razer soundcard if its for gaming!!!

eax2 fallback software emulation on a modern 3d sound supprting game like bf2, tf3, cod4, etc.. sound like hell! only an x-fi works good for those anymore. if u have the cash get the auzentech card with the x-fi chip

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #96 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have those cans also (along with many others). the steelsounds have VERY clear highs and mids (but no bass) which makes it very easy to hears whats going on around u and hear other peeps talking on teamspeak, etc- no deep voice drownouts! for this purpose they excel. they are not for audiophiles by a longshot and i use them only for matches and scrims

also- since i dont know how to do multiple quotes:

denis14! do NOT get the razer soundcard if its for gaming!!!

eax2 fallback software emulation on a modern 3d sound supprting game like bf2, tf3, cod4, etc.. sound like hell! only an x-fi works good for those anymore. if u have the cash get the auzentech card with the x-fi chip

cool.

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #97 of 114
I'm getting the razer because of the DOLBY HEADPHONE and good qulity sound.
From some reading I understood that EAX3,4,5 is quite overrated and not really crucial for gaming and I by no means can afford the Prelude (unless it's a used or refurbed one which I haven't seen).

I really need some advice about getting a 100$ speaker system.
Quote:

AlwaysLowest Systems Laptops Displays PDAs Storage Printers Memory Lowest Prices
ABIT IDOME DS500 Multimedia Speaker System 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System 50W RMS
3) HIVI SWANS M10 2.1 - 109$
KLIPSCH PROMEDIA 2.1 COMPUTER SPEAKER SYSTEM - eBay (item 160208191320 end time Feb-19-08 14:31:40 PST)
7) Tascam VL-S21 - 96$
Tascam VL-S21 Compact Monitoring System with Subwoofer (Free Ground Shipping)

What will be the best choice ? (Are there any better speakers for the same price ?)

Feb 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #98 of 114
Quote:

I'm getting the razer because of the DOLBY HEADPHONE and good qulity sound.
From some reading I understood that EAX3,4,5 is quite overrated and not really crucial for gaming and I by no means can afford the Prelude (unless it's a used or refurbed one which I haven't seen).

Bad move IMO.. & I believe the Razors use 8 drivers..

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #101 of 114
Quote:

3) HIVI SWANS M10 2.1 - 109$
7) Tascam VL-S21 - 96$
Tascam VL-S21 Compact Monitoring System with Subwoofer (Free Ground Shipping)
8) Logitech Z-10 - 97$
Logitech Z-10 Interactive Speaker System Retail at ZipZoomfly
9) Creative Gigaworks T40 - 117$
MegaBuy Technology Superstore

Feb 18, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #102 of 114
Quote:

Get the Swans. The sub won't rattle the house but that is one of the best if not the best 2.1 system you will find for $100.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #104 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrScary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only give you my experience on gaming headphones..Since I run a gaming organisation and sell, resell and manage dedicated servers for most of the new FPS games I can say one thing.. Most of the games out there do not have the capability of giving you a true 5.1 experience at best they have taken a stereo signal and an audio engineer has spent a bit of time having things move around a bit.. But in reality sadly for the time being its just a gimmick..

Few PC game support DD 5.1, but 99.9% of console game support DD 5.1.

Feb 19, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #105 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No difference in SQ. Yes, No DTS, cause games don't support DTS.. It is geared towards gaming, but will work with anything that requires 5.1 DD.. I'm hesitant to buy one cause I know the DAC & amp portions aren't very good IMO.. Same with the JVC..

But if you have a good headphone amp, and just use the Astro MixAmp as a preamp, does it really matter if the amp portion of the DH receiver is not very good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back