Gaming headphones for 100$ (for surround)
Feb 8, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #76 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be that it's because most cards don't offer Dolby Headphone, and no Creative card offers it. I specifically looked for it. Dolby has done a horrible job of promoting it. I only hope DTS does better with its new competing technology. DH has only survived due to how effective it is. All the people who I've read mentioning it or trying it one way or the other love it. To me, it's indispensable to movie-watching.

I even use it on my ipod, with the JVC SU-DH1 adapter. Pity no other major brand has come out with a quality DH adapter. And curiously, a couple of years back maybe, Creative had a pair of headphones that included DH with a separate adapter that worked very similarly to the JVC one, but now it seems since they have CMSS-3D and other competing technologies they don't offer anything Dolby. Do they even offer Dolby Digital Live, or DTS Connect, for that matter? I know they have a separate DTS converter that takes 5.1 analog and converts it to DTS via S/PDIF, but DTS connect does that inside the PC and it's much more convenient, not to mention the unneeded D/A/D step that the sound goes through with the adapter.

And about the games, I'm almost completely sure that if you can output 5.1 channels to 5.1 speakers, you can use DH, no matter where the sound path is coming from. DH should be one of the last steps in processing, it would work similarly to the card's EQ (i.e. it will work for all sound).

The mixamp is better.. Uses 2nd gen DH chip sets, makes it more efficient.. Longer battery life.. & can plug into a USB port to play while it charges..

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #77 of 114
Thanks for that info. I don't know how "major" Astro Gaming is, but I said it because with a well-known brand, one more or less knows what to expect. Have you compared it yourself with the SU-DH1? What are main differences? I find the quality of sound of the SU-DH1 pretty acceptable, but not really great. The first one I ordered had a very bad noise issue, so I'm not so sure about build quality either. If they could combine a high-quality headphone amp with DH, it would be great, and it seems like that's what the mixamp is, so what's your take?

Thanks again.

(To the OP, sorry for the OT, but it should be good info for you too.)

EDIT: Hmm, just checked the website, and it seems too much specialized for games. It doesn't even seem to decode DTS, so it's pretty useless for movies. And about battery life, my SU-DH1 gives me more than 10 hours with 2 AA batteries (I think the specs are like 12 or 15). The mixamp is supposed to give 15 with 4 AAs. It doesn't look promising.

Feb 9, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #79 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that info. I don't know how "major" Astro Gaming is, but I said it because with a well-known brand, one more or less knows what to expect. Have you compared it yourself with the SU-DH1? What are main differences? I find the quality of sound of the SU-DH1 pretty acceptable, but not really great. The first one I ordered had a very bad noise issue, so I'm not so sure about build quality either. If they could combine a high-quality headphone amp with DH, it would be great, and it seems like that's what the mixamp is, so what's your take?

Thanks again.

(To the OP, sorry for the OT, but it should be good info for you too.)

EDIT: Hmm, just checked the website, and it seems too much specialized for games. It doesn't even seem to decode DTS, so it's pretty useless for movies. And about battery life, my SU-DH1 gives me more than 10 hours with 2 AA batteries (I think the specs are like 12 or 15). The mixamp is supposed to give 15 with 4 AAs. It doesn't look promising.

No difference in SQ. Yes, No DTS, cause games don't support DTS.. It is geared towards gaming, but will work with anything that requires 5.1 DD.. I'm hesitant to buy one cause I know the DAC & amp portions aren't very good IMO.. Same with the JVC..

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #85 of 114
I think the Sondigo Inferno is the card with the most features for the price. The other ones like HT Claro and Auzen X-Meridian (which is not available new anymore) are more expensive and have the same driver features. They both do seem to have better quality hardware though, and with my Inferno, I can hear some interference base noise with headphones, but the output is also high, so I can use an attenuator to get rid of the noise and raise volume accordingly. The Asus Xonar U2 might have more features, since their driver is more worked out for Asus (the other three's drivers are interchangeable - I am using Auzen's driver with my Inferno), so I'm not sure how that'd work out, probably better.

About the speakers, if you're spending around $100, my guess is that either you're going to get a mediocre, or maybe "good enough" pair of speakers, or very crappy overpriced ones. I suggest that you go with function over form, in this price category, there are many speakers that try to look good, but sound crappy. Look for something with a tweeter at least. I'd get a proven brand, I like Klipsch a lot.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #86 of 114
What about the AC-1 from Razer ?
Is it a better choice than the inferno ? (which is only sold in 2 shops and is out of stock.)

As for the speakers, I've read some positive reviews about the 6 models which I consider but no direct comparison between them (they all seem to be pretty decent for the price).

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #87 of 114
The Razer looks good, but I haven't read much about it. The Inferno has great reviews, but the fact is that the HT Claro, Asus Xonar D1 and X-Meridian have higher quality hardware, hence the higher price. But software features are pretty much the same in all. It might be that the Razer also has the same chipset as those. My guess is you can go with the cheapest and not lose much unless you're really picky about audio quality. But also, with $100 speakers I don't think the difference would be really noticeable.

Another thing that may be worth considering is that the Inferno does not have front panel connections.

Feb 14, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #88 of 114
I've been using a pair of steel series 5h v2's for gaming for about 6 months now and haven't had a sigle problem wih them. The sound is set up specificly for gaming though, so music sounds a little strange at first with them but you soon get used to it. Although when you hear that deep satisfying boom of an awp through them its all made worthwhile they do sound fantastic for gaming.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #89 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by chimeria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using a pair of steel series 5h v2's for gaming for about 6 months now and haven't had a sigle problem wih them. The sound is set up specificly for gaming though, so music sounds a little strange at first with them but you soon get used to it. Although when you hear that deep satisfying boom of an awp through them its all made worthwhile they do sound fantastic for gaming.

compared to what? What headphones were you using before? I still question the specifically made for gaming claim.. Sounds like marketing BS to me, unless they can show frequency charts, or give in depth information how they came about this, instead of, you can hear people around corners..

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #90 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, may I have an answer for this please ?

I can only give you my experience on gaming headphones..Since I run a gaming organisation and sell, resell and manage dedicated servers for most of the new FPS games I can say one thing.. Most of the games out there do not have the capability of giving you a true 5.1 experience at best they have taken a stereo signal and an audio engineer has spent a bit of time having things move around a bit.. But in reality sadly for the time being its just a gimmick.. I disagree that they are junk I think some sound just fine and are just as good for gaming as any 100.00 Headphone I also disagree with all Bose stuff is junk thats the bandwagon you get around here people get caught up on forum trolling they probably have never heard a pair of bose headphones amped but they are more than willing to bash them.. If what you seek is answers here go to a good gaming site and you will get a few audiophiles on there that will give youa objective opinion some of they sound just great for a 5.1 movie but for games.. as everyone else said dont waste your money.. depending on my mood I use everything from Atrio M5's to my Senn 595's for COD4 or hell I sometimes just use my Yammaha CM500's they sound great have a 120ohm impedence and cost you 39.99 at guitar center and you cannot break them..
and 50MM cobalt drivers..
And if you dont have an X-fi forget it dont even bother buying anything just go get some 40.00 phones or maybe stop by radio shack and get some KSC 75's ... don't waste your time here many are on a mission for moronic attitude instead of assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back