Gaming headphones for 100$ (for surround)
Jan 27, 2008 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

dennis14

New Head-Fier
First, before asking for a recommendation I'd like to learn a bit about the difference between cheaper models to more expensive ones from the same manufacturer.

What are the differences between:

a. from Tritton:
1) Tritton TRI-UA512 AXPC 5.1 gaming headset
TRI-UA512 :: TRITTON Technologies, Inc.
2) Tritton TRI-GA600 AX360 5.1 gaming headset
TRI-GA600 :: TRITTON Technologies, Inc.

b. from Speedlink:
1) Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Classic SL-8790 (which were better in gaming and movies than the Progamer edition in a review I've read)
2) Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Home Edition SL-8796

c. from Turtle Beach:
1) Turtle Beach Earforce X-52
Ear Force X-52
2) Turtle Beach Earforce HPA
3) Turtle Beach Earforce HPA2
Surround Sound PC Headset - Ear Force HPA2
4) Turtle Beach Earforce AK-R8
Ear Force AK-R8
?

After I get some answers for these questions it'll be easier for me to pick the candidates from which I'm going to choose from (apart from the above mentioned headsets I'm also interested in "Edimentional AudioFx Pro 5+1"
eDimensional 3D Glasses and Innovative PC Gaming Accessories)

I'd like to mention that I use a built in sound card of Asus P5b Deluxe motherboard if it's relevant.

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 114
I'm sorry, but you're on the wrong site at this point.

Surround sound headphones are a bad gimmick, and they sound just plain crummy overall.

My recommendation (and I'm sure many others who will reply here) is to first grab a pair of Koss KSC75; great soundstage for FPSs.

Next would be to get a sound card, like an X-Fi or Audigy 2 ZS. Byt this is optional if you are already wow'd enough by the KSC75. But a dedicated sound card will take some load off of your CPU, and it will sound better.

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 114
I know that most 5.1 headphones are really a gimmick and not worth the money but there are some models which can do a good job at reproducing the surround effect which i'm looking for (unfortunetly i have neither the money to afford a 5.1 speaker system nor the room and acoustics for them at home).

I've got a very decent cpu, an overclocked E6300.
And I feel that a good sound card will be a waste of money because I'm not going to buy an expensive speaker system to "really" take advantage of it (I've not yet decided which ones to buy: JBL CREATURE II or ALTEC LANSING VS2421 for gaming and movies mostly).

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 114
Oh dear. I went down this route before. I got the Medusa Home Edition 'phones and they were absolutely awful. Please, save yourself the time and money and just go straight to a pair of stereo headphones.

With my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros and an X-Fi sound card (using CMSS-3D), they are better for positional audio than my Medusas ever were.

If I were you I'd get some RP-21s and an X-Fi XtremeMusic to keep the cost low.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 114
I use my Sony MDR-v6 for gaming. I play Call of Duty 4 and RTCW: Enemy Territory. The positional audio works wonderfully through them and I frequently surprise enemies online just by hearing them. I suggest you give them a look.

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 114
my Audio-Technica ATH-A900 works very nicely with games - i would imagine the cheaper ATH-A500 would do well too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 114
I see that the unanimous opinion here is to buy good stereo headphones, I will defenitely consider that (which headphones are the best within my budget ?)

But I would still like to get some answers to the questions I've asked in the beginning if it's ok with you.

here are some very positive reviews that I've read about some of the headsets on my list:
1) Tritton TRI-GA600 AX360 5.1 gaming headset
TRITTON AX360 5.1 Digital Gaming Headphones Review
Product Review: TRITTON AX360 5.1 Headphones
Audio Xtreme 360 Headphones Review (General)
TecKMagazine - Tritton AX360 Headphones Review
Audio Xtreme 360 (AX360) Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Good Gear Guide - Tritton Audio Extreme 360 - Reviews - Hardware - Game Hardware - Xbox Peripherals
Tritton Audio Xtreme 360 - Lauren Barnard - Maximum PC
Network World, Inc. - AX360 Gaming Headphones (TRI-GA600) - 2006 Holiday Gift Guide

b. Edimentional AudioFx Pro 5+1
AudioFX Pro 5+1 PC Gaming Headset by Ben Heck - Big Bruin
AVSIM Online - Flight Simulation's Number 1 Site!
3dGameMan.com - #883 - eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5+1 Headset by BenHeck

c. Turtle Beach Earforce AK-R8
Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 USB Surround Sound Headphone Review
FPSLabs - FPSLabs Home News Story - Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 Review
Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 Review - Page 1 - Introduction
Techgage - Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 Headphones
Ear Force AK-R8 Review - PC
ZDNet Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 Review & Comparison
YouTube - Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 USB Gaming Headphones

d. Tritton TRI-UA512 AXPC 5.1 gaming headset
Tritton AXPC USB 5.1 Digital Headset Review
Modders-Inc.com - PC Mods, Case Mods, Modding Guides, Hardware Reviews, Hardware News, Forums - - Reviews - Tritton AXPC USB 5.1 Digital Headset (TRI-UA512)
Turtle Beack Ear Force HPA and Tritton AXPC 5.1 Headsets Reviewed: Tritton AXPC Audio Extreme PC
The Moditory - Computers Will Rule the World Some Day - AXPC 5.1 Headset
Gamernode: Features - AXPC 5.1 USB Gaming Headphones Review
Tritton Audio Xtreme PC USB Gaming Headset - Review, Specs, Prices
Tritton AXPC Headset - nathan edwards - Maximum PC

What do you say about these reviews ? (I did some research, didn't I ?
rolleyes.gif
)
Try to be more open minded and maybe you'll be surprised.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 114
Yeah dude seriously only feedback you will get here on surround sound headphones and Bose equipment is it's junk. Which in 98% of the cases it is true for the amounts of money you are required to dish out for the product.

I have a suggestion. Get a pair of Sennheiser HD 555's used new or refurb, will cost you less than $100. Save some more money up and keep your eye on Ebay for the Sennheiser DSP pro. It is a box that processes sound and converts it to dolby pro logic and then translates that into a stereo headphone, with I must say unbelievable accuracy. I bought one a year ago and am completely blown away by how well it works. So much so that I bought a second one for a friend. Found one new for $60 and one used for $35.

Trust my advice you will not be disappointed.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, before asking for a recommendation I'd like to learn a bit about the difference between cheaper models to more expensive ones from the same manufacturer.

What are the differences between:

a. from Tritton:
1) Tritton TRI-UA512 AXPC 5.1 gaming headset
TRI-UA512 :: TRITTON Technologies, Inc.
2) Tritton TRI-GA600 AX360 5.1 gaming headset
TRI-GA600 :: TRITTON Technologies, Inc.

b. from Speedlink:
1) Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Classic SL-8790 (which were better in gaming and movies than the Progamer edition in a review I've read)
2) Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Home Edition SL-8796

c. from Turtle Beach:
1) Turtle Beach Earforce X-52
2) Turtle Beach Earforce HPA
3) Turtle Beach Earforce HPA2
4) Turtle Beach Earforce AK-R8
?

So, may I have an answer for this please ?

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 114
If you keep being narrow-minded on this topic, you will only be more disappointed in the end.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 114
I'm just interested in learning about the differences between these headphones, it doesn't mean that I would buy any of them.
I just think that this is the only place where i can get professional answers for this kind of questions.
Even if u dismiss these kind of headphones i guess you can tell me more about them so I'll understand your point of view better.

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 114
dennis14, we don't know. We don't keep up with 5.1 headphones, because we believe that phones like the Hd555 are better than any 5.1 set out there. I agree as well, I have Beyerdynamic 880's and they give me excellent hearing in games. I once stole a noob's vehicle because I heard artillery shots coming in. He was mad, after he died, but I got to use the vehicle anyway, and it would have died as well, otherwise.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that the unanimous opinion here is to buy good stereo headphones, I will defenitely consider that (which headphones are the best within my budget ?)

But I would still like to get some answers to the questions I've asked in the beginning if it's ok with you.

here are some very positive reviews that I've read about some of the headsets on my list:
1) Tritton TRI-GA600 AX360 5.1 gaming headset
TRITTON AX360 5.1 Digital Gaming Headphones Review
Product Review: TRITTON AX360 5.1 Headphones
Audio Xtreme 360 Headphones Review (General)
TecKMagazine - Tritton AX360 Headphones Review
Audio Xtreme 360 (AX360) Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Good Gear Guide - Tritton Audio Extreme 360 - Reviews - Hardware - Game Hardware - Xbox Peripherals
Tritton Audio Xtreme 360 - Lauren Barnard - Maximum PC
Network World, Inc. - AX360 Gaming Headphones (TRI-GA600) - 2006 Holiday Gift Guide

b. Edimentional AudioFx Pro 5+1
AudioFX Pro 5+1 PC Gaming Headset by Ben Heck - Big Bruin
AVSIM Online - Flight Simulation's Number 1 Site!
3dGameMan.com - #883 - eDimensional AudioFX Pro 5+1 Headset by BenHeck

c. Turtle Beach Earforce AK-R8
Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 USB Surround Sound Headphone Review
FPSLabs - FPSLabs Home News Story - Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 Review
Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 Review - Page 1 - Introduction
Techgage - Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 Headphones
Ear Force AK-R8 Review - PC
ZDNet Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 Review & Comparison
YouTube - Turtle Beach Ear Force AK-R8 USB Gaming Headphones

d. Tritton TRI-UA512 AXPC 5.1 gaming headset
Tritton AXPC USB 5.1 Digital Headset Review
Modders-Inc.com - PC Mods, Case Mods, Modding Guides, Hardware Reviews, Hardware News, Forums - - Reviews - Tritton AXPC USB 5.1 Digital Headset (TRI-UA512)
Turtle Beack Ear Force HPA and Tritton AXPC 5.1 Headsets Reviewed: Tritton AXPC Audio Extreme PC
The Moditory - Computers Will Rule the World Some Day - AXPC 5.1 Headset
Gamernode: Features - AXPC 5.1 USB Gaming Headphones Review
Tritton Audio Xtreme PC USB Gaming Headset - Review, Specs, Prices
Tritton AXPC Headset - nathan edwards - Maximum PC

What do you say about these reviews ? (I did some research, didn't I ?
rolleyes.gif
)
Try to be more open minded and maybe you'll be surprised.

If your dead set on getting a 5.1 headset get the Trittons.. I'd personally recommend a quality stero headphone & 5.1 adapter which does a better job at 5.1 then cans with 8 speakers.. Make sure it Dolby 5.1 or Dolby headphone..

Why are 5.1 cans getting rave reviews? Cause the reviwers never heard a pair of quality cans to compare it with..

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 114
Dennis, you're being narrow-minded in not listening to our advice. We're being narrow-minded in that even though you don't want it, we're still shoving it down your throat. Unfortunately, since you're asking a service of us, you're not going to be satisfied with your result
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 114
the 3d sound field that Xfi can produce on stereo headphones is better than 5.1 .. plus they usually will sound better and be of better quality overall per driver than any 5.1 headset..

there is no reason to buy a 5.1 headset other than being duped by marketing of the people who make them..

why do you get good 5.1 reviews? because they base them vs other 5.1 headphones thats why.. so out of this many crap headphones these ones are best is basically what your reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back