Gamer needs new cans $100 to $150 range
Nov 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DrGroove

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I've been doing a lot of research and tested a few sets of headphones in store so far, and looking for a little input. These will be used to extended periods of time for gaming, so comfort is somewhat a factor. I mainly listen to a lot of high-bass electrica, such as drum and bass, dubstep, prog house, as well as indie rock.

So far I have narrowed it down to:

Sennheiser HD595 $150

Shure SRH840 $153

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 $114

I am almost always on ventrilo while gaming, so my concern with the 595s is that the leaked sound from the open design will get picked up by my mic. I have heard good things from other gamers about the M50s, and liked the Shure when I listened to them in store. I'm used to talking with sound isolating in ear earphones, so the isolating studio design isnt a problem.
Any help is appreciated and feel free to suggest another.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: I'll add that I'm currently using an old pair of Yamaha YH-1

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Welcome to headfi!

The headphones you listed doesn't have a good soundstage for gaming/positioning. 

Since you love bass and need a good soundstage, i suggest the ATH A700's. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 4
The hd595 has a pretty good soundstage.  The ad700 has bass, but it's not overpowering like some people like.  It's definitely rolled off in the bass department.  The shure and m50 have like zero soundstage whatsoever and are horrible gaming cans in my honest opinion.  

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Who said M50's are good for gaming? That's not what is recommended at all. The AD700's are good but since sound leakage is a concern and you listen to bass heavy music the A700 is closed and will be much better suited for gaming than the M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back