Galaxy S3 amp & DAC
Oct 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SkiingNinja

New Head-Fier
Hi, my name is Sean I own Skiing Ninja which designs and manufacturers high quality crossovers for loudspeakers.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I would like to serve HD600's (under AC power is OK) and Ortofon e-Q5's (portable/battery).  I'm hoping a DAC/AMP combo exists that would work here.  I was looking at the GO DAP X but I'm told they are discontinued.

Budget is $350 and below.

Thanks!

SkiingNinja

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hi, my name is Sean I own Skiing Ninja which designs and manufacturers high quality crossovers for loudspeakers.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I would like to serve HD600's (under AC power is OK) and Ortofon e-Q5's (portable/battery).  I'm hoping a DAC/AMP combo exists that would work here.  I was looking at the GO DAP X but I'm told they are discontinued.

Thanks!

SkiingNinja

You could look at something like a 2nd hand V-Moda VAmp Verza. Android<->external DAC/Amp communication isn't as mature as, say, Apple & Apple certified external DAC/Amps. There is an Android Player called UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) which seems allow the Android phone to be more friendly to most DAC/Amps but with it's own proprietary USB-DAC protocols. I have to admit I'm not a fan of their interface though.

One other note, I haven't touched the HD600 for a very very very long time but somehow my gut feeling is that the VentureCraft may not have enough grunt to drive it to (my) satisfaction.

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you very much for the reply.  The HD600's are 300ohm nominal so they do need a little more.

I wonder if Lollipop has any enhancements to the protocol?

Sean

Quote:

You could look at something like a 2nd hand V-Moda VAmp Verza. Android<->external DAC/Amp communication isn't as mature as, say, Apple & Apple certified external DAC/Amps. There is an Android Player called UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) which seems allow the Android phone to be more friendly to most DAC/Amps but with it's own proprietary USB-DAC protocols. I have to admit I'm not a fan of their interface though.

One other note, I haven't touched the HD600 for a very very very long time but somehow my gut feeling is that the VentureCraft may not have enough grunt to drive it to (my) satisfaction.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 5

Just to give you a couple of ideas:

I paid $350 for the Cantate (bought used), so I suppose that kind of counts; then it's around $16 for the dock and $3 for the OTG adapter.

I use this $99 Ibasso D-Zero with the HD600 when I feel like using the IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back