GAD's Review of Seven Portable Amps
May 28, 2007 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
OK Folks, here is the result of me being hip deep in amps for the past few weeks. I've written a damn wordy page on my impressions of all these amps. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have them all, so I thought I'd pay it forward as it were, by providing a sort of public service. I learned a great deal here on head-fi, and continue to do so. Here's hoping I can help others.

There are loads of amp reviews out there, and hopefully mine will be useful in the fray. I took a different angle with my reviews, reviewing mostly for purpose as opposed to sound, though my thoughts on sound are included as well.

The review can be found here: http://www.gad.net/Headphonia/AmpReview1.html

I hope you find it useful.

Thanks,

GAD

May 28, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 41
Great review! I liked the sound
tongue.gif
ortability ratios.

May 28, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 41
Nice review GAD- I was wondering when this was coming. I agree with most of what you've said about the RS amps I've heard- Tomahawk, SR-71, and XP-7 (pretty much the kind of battery operated amps). I have to wonder if you'd mind exercising with a Xin Micro, however.

I've never actually heard a Hornet, but if the Tomahawk sounds close as many claim, I'd consider the battery life (several hundred hours) vs wall charger issue pretty much a wash. I mean how bad can changing batteries every month or two really be?

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and for including the unique sound portability ratio- very pertinent in my view.

May 28, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 41
Wow, great review with great style.

Very informative, concise, well-organized, as well as a very, very enjoyable read. I think it satisfies the audiophile and the "common man" equally - not an easy task. Well done.

May 28, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 41
Great write-up!
I especially liked the sound/portability ratios.

May 28, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 41
GAD,

A good job. A shame there were no Xin's to compare to. ATM I share your comments on Hornet and am trying to see if any Xin with a smaller footprint can match that high quality RSA sound.

Thanks again.

Ian.

May 28, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 41
Very nicely done review! Looks very professional, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back