GAD's Review of Seven Portable Amps
May 28, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #16 of 41
"More money than brains"... I resemble that remark.
600smile.gif

I agree with your conclusions on the Hornet. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the rest because I had more patience than you LOL. So I will take your word for it.
600smile.gif
My wallet is especially glad that I have not heard the SR-71 because (as you point out) the Hornet makes a lot more sense for someone with only one amp for both home and portable use.

I was truly concerned for my wallet when I read your comments about the larger home amp creating a "bigger" sound in your head. I hear a Meier Opera calling me almost daily.
eek.gif

A truly great job on this review! I enjoyed reading it, and the "purpose-based" perspective was unique and interesting. I think it will be a big help to those who have no idea what kind of amp they really need for their particular uses.

May 28, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 41
Thanks all! It was a labor of love (and an exercise in OCD!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I have to wonder if you'd mind exercising with a Xin Micro, however

Unless there's a way to solve the interconnect problem, a smaller amp doesn't help me. Of course I wouldn't mind trying one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I mean how bad can changing batteries every month or two really be?

This statement, though directed at the Tomahawk, will probably be why I end up keeping the SR-71!

Quote:

That was a pleasure to read.

Now THAT's a compliment! Thank you.

Quote:

Wow, great review with great style.

Very informative, concise, well-organized, as well as a very, very enjoyable read. I think it satisfies the audiophile and the "common man" equally - not an easy task. Well done.

Thank you. You people are going to make me blush!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

GAD good review thanks. BTW if you want to be surprised get the AD8620 chip and swap it with the OPA2134 in the XM4. The sound improvement will surprise the heck out of you.

Thanks! I may just give that a try.

Quote:

I especially liked the sound/portability ratios.

Wow I seem to have really struck a chord with that idea. I was trying to apply logic to a very emotional topic, and that seemed to work for me. Glad everyone approves.

Quote:

Very nicely done review! Looks very professional, too.

An honor from the portable amp review man himself. Thank you sir.

Quote:

I can't comment on the rest because I had more patience than you LOL.

LOL - most people do!
600smile.gif

Quote:

I was truly concerned for my wallet when I read your comments about the larger home amp creating a "bigger" sound in your head. I hear a Meier Opera calling me almost daily.

Having really only hear smaller portable amps, this was a real eye-opener for me. I've had more than one person tell me that it's the tip of the iceburg too. Good luck resisting.

Quote:

A truly great job on this review! I enjoyed reading it, and the "purpose-based" perspective was unique and interesting.

Thanks - that's what I was shooting for.

GAD

May 28, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 41
Great review, GAD. Thanks! You're being so positive about the Micro Amp has me thinking again about the new rechargeable DAC amp combo that is pending. But I don't know if it will have the equivqlent of the desktop module. (We keep asking and they just won't say which is probably not a good sign.)

May 28, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #20 of 41
I gotta tell you, having the DAC located in the same chassis would be pretty cool, though it would loose some of it's impressiveness without being a stack.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

May 28, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #21 of 41
Great stuff GAD. Cant' wait for you to audition the Lisa. It is something that blew my mind for a portable amp. Yeah I was at the INFAMOUS SEATTLE MINI MEET. Skylab has his work cut out for him with your reviews.LOL

May 28, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 41
Excellent review(s). I've been curious about RS amps but I'm too satisfied with the Micro Amp/strap/bag setup to try a Hornet or Tomahawk, so I'm happy to see the Micro performs so well against them. I prefer my amps more sedentary
icon10.gif
and you've satisfied my curiosity about the portables. No telling how much money you just saved me.
3000smile.gif

Thanks for the work. Nicely done.

May 29, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardwired /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review(s). No telling how much money you just saved me.
3000smile.gif

Thanks! though I think I've violated some head-fi code if I SAVED you money.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

May 29, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't explain well, sorry, sr-71 mini plug its better to connect to rca exits (like a source) in cd player or to phones output in cd player

Ah! Always better to connect to the line-out instead of the headphone jack if you can.

GAD

May 29, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #30 of 41
Great review, thanks. I've come to the same conclusion as you about the Hornet... best all-around amp for combined desktop/portable use that I've run into so far. It's nice to see that impression confirmed by some actual research and legwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back