[FYI] Basic Guide to In-Ear-Canalphones (rev.4)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #31 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sticky!

I mean that I vote to make this thread sticky.

ClieOS, would you mind to ask the mods for sticky? I believe you'll get it.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #32 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ClieOS, would you mind to ask the mods for sticky? I believe you'll get it.

I'll try.
rolleyes.gif

[EDIT] Just want to add that I already PM'ed two mod for the request, and it is most likely not going to happen. With or without the sticky status, those of you who think this thread is helpful can always link the thread to any place of interest you might find. Peace.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #34 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That'll be difficult.

Although some brand carry a house-sound, some don't. Ety, for example, is alway very analytical, flat, detail, and cold sounding. On the other hand, UE doesn't have a very distinct sound signature on its IEMs.

well than make a list of the signature's of diffirent iems.

i actually just started a tread with the goal of compiling a list of iems with their signature characteristics.

check it out: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/i...7/#post4476623

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #35 of 132
ClieOS this is a great thread. Much <3 for this, it's helped me a lot!

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #37 of 132
Great thread! I do not consider myself an IEM Newbie, but I learned several things from this thread that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. And it reminded me that i've been bad about IEM maintenance as of late
frown.gif

Question for you... I stepped on the right earbud/driver of my Shure E3c as I was running up some stairs in a Los Angeles subway station (long story) and to fix the damage, had to superglue the "cap" or tip back onto the main earbud portion. I can't pull it off for cleaning/maintenance. What is advised in this situation?

Thanks again for the thread and info. This should be Sticky'd.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

On extra note: human don't naturally expose ourselves to long period of noise, even in low sound pressure level. Recent study done by WHO has suggested that although low noise environment (as low as 45 ~ 55dB SPL) doesn't cause hearing loss, it does have negative impact on human health. People who constantly expose themselves to low noise environment are much easier to develop serious illness, both physically and mentally. It is my advise, though might not based on any hard finding, that you should be caution when you decide to listen to your music for a long period of time, even in low volume. We all love music, but it doesn't mean we'll have to listen to it 24/7.

Seriously? That's crazy. How could repeated music / audio stimulus cause mental illness? I don't understand. I can see the physical for sure. Do you consider the study's conclusion to be reputable? Was it a double-blind study?

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #38 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes foam tips are better than soft plastic tips for isolation =]

Using foam tips, I could save my iM716.. IMHO nothing compares to foam for isolation.

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #39 of 132
this is a clear Sticky to me!
not new to hi-fi but new to head-fi!
this is a level A1 to IME imo!

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #40 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for you... I stepped on the right earbud/driver of my Shure E3c as I was running up some stairs in a Los Angeles subway station (long story) and to fix the damage, had to superglue the "cap" or tip back onto the main earbud portion. I can't pull it off for cleaning/maintenance. What is advised in this situation?

I 'll say you should use it as usual, clean the outer surface with tissue in regular interval. If you detect sign of deterioration on the silicone tips, just order a new pair from Shure and remove the old one from the nozzle with a sharp knife carefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? That's crazy. How could repeated music / audio stimulus cause mental illness? I don't understand. I can see the physical for sure. Do you consider the study's conclusion to be reputable? Was it a double-blind study?

Repeated noise cause mental illness because of either annoyance (stress) or sleep disturbance. As of whether low level music is capable of such effect, I don't know, because no one ever research into the long term health effect of continuous music listening. Also, the study hasn't reach a conclusion yet. What WHO has is the preliminary finding that low level noise does impact health, based on data collected from several countries since 2003. We will have to wait to see a more complete set of data from the upcoming years to determine whether the preliminary finding will change, or being reconfirmed.

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #41 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by C-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a clear Sticky to me!

For those wondering, I PM'd markl and wmcmanus (spelling?) on getting this thread Sticky'd.

Sep 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #42 of 132
This is quite an extensive and informative writeup. Thankyou for taking the time out to make it.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #43 of 132
It has been almost a month since this thread was buried by tons of other threads, so I thought I give it a bump so the newb can have a chance to read it, plus I just made a slight update on the info.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #45 of 132
this thread taught me a lot! kewl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back