FX-Audio DAC-X7 First look
Sep 25, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #34 of 118
Initially I used the "official" driver from the web:

http://www.szfxaudio.com/download.php

It seemed to work well,and it did actually.Name of the device FX-AUDIO DAC appeared in both W10 and Foobar and played the DAC in everyway WASAPI,ASIO,DS...Then I tried the newer XMOS driver: "XMOS-Stereo-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver_v3.34.0".Still worked fine, just that the name of the device changed:

captur10.png

Two days ago something went wrong (I guess a W10 update), there's noway to play the DAC via its USB connection.Very sad...
Although it still works via its coax/toshlink inputs.Could it be a XMOS chip fault?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #35 of 118
Initially I used the "official" driver from the web:

http://www.szfxaudio.com/download.php

It seemed to work well,and it did actually.Name of the device FX-AUDIO DAC appeared in both W10 and Foobar and played the DAC in everyway WASAPI,ASIO,DS...Then I tried the newer XMOS driver: "XMOS-Stereo-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver_v3.34.0".Still worked fine, just that the name of the device changed:

captur10.png
[/url][/IMG]

Two days ago something went wrong (I guess a W10 update), there's noway to play the DAC via its USB connection.Very sad...
Although it still works via its coax/toshlink inputs.Could it be a XMOS chip fault?
See if you can find it in Windows Device Manager. If it's visible try updating the driver from there. If that fails try removing then unplugging the device and starting from scratch.

Just out of curiosity, when it was working on USB did you experience any delay at the start of playback?

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #36 of 118
Can't find the device in Windows,I've even tried to uninstall every single driver and play from the start unsuccesfully.
Yes it was a 2seconds delay when playing via USB input from my desktop PC/Foobar.No problem at all via coax from my Allo Digione/Volumio...

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #37 of 118
Can't find the device in Windows,I've even tried to uninstall every single driver and play from the start unsuccesfully.
Yes it was a 2seconds delay when playing via USB input from my desktop PC/Foobar.No problem at all via coax from my Allo Digione/Volumio...
Okay, thanks. I've been told that the delay will be fixed in the next batch but that won't help your unit, unfortunately. Anyway, DM me if you want to try the other XMOS driver.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #39 of 118
Okay, thanks. I've been told that the delay will be fixed in the next batch but that won't help your unit, unfortunately. Anyway, DM me if you want to try the other XMOS driver.

Today I've checked the device in a MAC computer.Not working either and no sign of the device anywhere, so it's not a driver issue.Somehow USB connection/chip has broken down.:triportsad:

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #40 of 118
Today I've checked the device in a MAC computer.Not working either and no sign of the device anywhere, so it's not a driver issue.Somehow USB connection/chip has broken down.:triportsad:

I saw a report on another site from a user saying that the USB wasn't working at all for him, and the optical connection neither. But he had a great sound thourgh coaxial. The quality control seems low with these units.

Try contact FX-AUDIO maybe.

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #41 of 118
I saw a report on another site from a user saying that the USB wasn't working at all for him, and the optical connection neither. But he had a great sound thourgh coaxial. The quality control seems low with these units.

Try contact FX-AUDIO maybe.
Still working via coax and toslink. No complaints regards the sound. As a stand alone DAC is simply amazing. For less than 200€!! That's the thing. The more I listen the more I like it.I'm willing to buy an audio GD R2R R1 and I'm not sure if it is worth the money actually. There was nothing like this 10 years ago, not even for 2K...

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #42 of 118
Still working via coax and toslink. No complaints regards the sound. As a stand alone DAC is simply amazing. For less than 200€!! That's the thing. The more I listen the more I like it.I'm willing to buy an audio GD R2R R1 and I'm not sure if it is worth the money actually. There was nothing like this 10 years ago, not even for 2K...
Yes your are totally right to say.
For Dac section, It is not worse than 1k dollar machine like Gustard A20h, which I sold.
You cannot hear the difference at least in 1 or 2 hours, which means "before you have been trained to catch the difference"
For Amp section, it is good enough for most of the phones.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #44 of 118
Sound-quality-wise, is there a difference between USB (when it worked) / Toslink / Coaxial ?

is there a difference between the two headphone amps ?
You can stay with USB, if you have no good digital converter ( Gustard U12 or Singxer SU-1, or the likes) that converts USB signal to Toslink or Coaxial.
Otherwise those latter ones are not necessarily better than USB.

The two head phone jacks are not linked to 2 independent power amplifiers, but the 2 jacks have likely share one common amplifier but two independent buffers to satisfy the need of different impedance of your headphones.
Therefore "you said two amps" is only one amp with different back-ends that are technically buffers to deal with your phones.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #45 of 118
Thanks for your reply!

Would you consider a RME Digiface a good-enough converter to put between a laptop and the DAC X7 ?

The two-second delay and lack of drivers for Win10 don't encourage me to use it via USB.

Other question: do you use the power cable coming with the unit, or did you replace it? It looks cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back