FX-Audio DAC-X7 First look
Sep 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #46 of 118
Thanks for your reply!

Would you consider a RME Digiface a good-enough converter to put between a laptop and the DAC X7 ?

The two-second delay and lack of drivers for Win10 don't encourage me to use it via USB.

Other question: do you use the power cable coming with the unit, or did you replace it? It looks cheap.
You can try the RME and listen, and this is the best way.
The stock power supply is a switching power supply and weak, and I replaced it with a linear one with enough power.
In some case the same switching power supply with enough power which is the same voltage with more than 2 amps for example, is an inexpensive solution.
You may order this cheap one for giving a try.
I chose TeraDak DC-30W 12V/1.5A FPGA Linear Power Supply.

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #47 of 118
You may order this cheap one for giving a try.
I chose TeraDak DC-30W 12V/1.5A FPGA Linear Power Supply.

It's not the same kind of plug we use where I live, but thank you. I see the kind of cable you mean.

Did you replace the cable coming with the DAC X7 for sound quality purposes or just for safety reasons? Or esthetics?

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #48 of 118
It's not the same kind of plug we use where I live, but thank you. I see the kind of cable you mean.

Did you replace the cable coming with the DAC X7 for sound quality purposes or just for safety reasons? Or esthetics?
I think the cable is not problem, but the power of the stock power supply is not enough so that you can buy higher power that is more than 2 amps than the stock.
In my case 3 amps at 12 volt. You might try some for your need.

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #49 of 118
Just received my unit from massdrop. So far I am liking the detailed sound. It is an upgrade from what I had before in the fiio e10k. @Solurano, did you try a different usb cable?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #52 of 118
@daftcombo, I don't think so. I can't tell a difference. I am using Toslink feeding from my yamaha cd player and it works great.

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #53 of 118
Hi,

Is there a difference in sound quality while using Toslink Vs Coaxial?

I would only be able to use Toslink because the PC is far from the DAC.

Thanks.
Change stock power to linear power source can make a noticeable difference.
The stock power is likely switching power source that generates considerable noise that disturbs power which also defines the datum for amplification or other required potential.
Some times change to quality cable, but this is to be after good power source.

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #54 of 118
Change stock power to linear power source can make a noticeable difference.
The stock power is likely switching power source that generates considerable noise that disturbs power which also defines the datum for amplification or other required potential.
Some times change to quality cable, but this is to be after good power source.
I agree.
LPS is absolutely recommendable.A clear sound improvement, not just details as in the cables.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #56 of 118
@Joong, what is a good and cheap linear power supply for the for the dac-x7? Do you know what plug type it uses?

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #57 of 118
@aznsensazian

https://www.ebay.com/itm/hot-sale-T...ower-Supply-/222531578345?hash=item33cfea69e9
But the plug is not OK, and I changed plug to
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30cm-White-Male-DC-Power-Cable-18AWG-10A-for-CCTV-Security-Camera-2-1-x-5-5mm/323376475716?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648
the correct size is 2.1mm x 5.5mm plug.
Maybe you can ask seller for the correct sized plug for sure.
For using amplifier you can buy this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-DC...ower-Supply-/130912875418?hash=item1e7b03f39a
because it has more current supply than previous, which in my case is used as dac.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #58 of 118
Hi,

I bought and have been using the DAC X7 for a a week, in coaxial & Toslink.

What striked me : very wide sound stage & lots of details.

But also: the voices are not as clear as on my former DAC. Also, some high medium sounds, like trumpet notes, seem a bit unnatural.

Did anyone have the same impressions?

Cheers.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #59 of 118
There is definitely a problem in the high mids. The violon and horns sound nasal. My ears are tired after half an hour of listening to this interface even at low volumes. I don't have that sensation when I use my Apogee Duet 2 or plug my CD player directly in the amp.

Crazy amounts of details & wide sound stage doesn't compensate the tiring sound.

(I've used USB, Toslink & Coaxial for my tests.)

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #60 of 118
I saw a report on another site from a user saying that the USB wasn't working at all for him, and the optical connection neither. But he had a great sound thourgh coaxial. The quality control seems low with these units.

Try contact FX-AUDIO maybe.

Yesterday, I recieved back the DAC from the repairman.Everything is OK again, as it used to.I've tried with several drivers and sources, and the USB connection works properly.Hope it last!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back