FX-Audio DAC-X6 2016 Release; potential sub-$100 king?
Jan 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #76 of 227

If you adjuat voltage output to 8.0V, it'll give you fuller body of dynamics with better linearity. I also replaced input/coupling capacitors with better ones used in highend brands. It sounds fabulous.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think we are lucky to find someone who more or less can identify the internal structure of the device. it could be a step forward if WindowsX could share more info about his mod and other details. For example:
Is this mod "talks" to the head amp or could be also a benefit for the line out signal?

input/coupling capacitors: where are they exactly? specs? What the 8V means for the sound quality and what was the value before?

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #77 of 227
So electronics noob here. Do any of those mods require soldering?

You can bias 8V regulator output from tilting pot clockwise a little more. I recommend to use volt meter to get the right result. For replacing capacitors, it requires soldering.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #78 of 227

If you adjuat voltage output to 8.0V, it'll give you fuller body of dynamics with better linearity. I also replaced input/coupling capacitors with better ones used in highend brands. It sounds fabulous.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think we are lucky to find someone who more or less can identify the internal structure of the device. it could be a step forward if WindowsX could share more info about his mod and other details. For example:
Is this mod "talks" to the head amp or could be also a benefit for the line out signal?

input/coupling capacitors: where are they exactly? specs? What the 8V means for the sound quality and what was the value before?

To be honest, I don't really much about electronic engineering myself. Even my friend who's electronic engineer helping me in supervising a few projects was against the idea of moving the pot randomly. But I think moving a little should work because voltage swing shouldn't change drastically from little tilt and it worked without frying this unit. We measured later and found LM317 was feeding 9V before. It seems to be too strong for OPA2134PA+OP275 so I toned it down a little to 8V instead to get better linearity.

By the way, I was asked from fellow budget audiophiles to do some small mods in Thailand. I didn't even change any opamp yet and it's already so good because base ones are naturally picked.

I think I could go a few extra miles for this to be the next Zhaolu DAC/Amp that can be modded for drastic improvements. I haven't tried yet. I think it's possible considering from parts and design. I also modded a few highend Esoteric/Emm Labs model before and this ones has potentials for its price.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #79 of 227

We measured later and found LM317 was feeding 9V before. It seems to be too strong for OPA2134PA+OP275 so I toned it down a little to 8V instead to get better linearity.

This is a good explanation. Thanks for your findings. I might try it. But I do not use the head amp, I use only the line out dac, I guess this voltage regulator serves both signal paths, can you confirm this????. Could this voltage reduction be a benefit for line out? Any possible drawbacks?

OP275 and OPA2134PA, can you figure out if those parts are participate to the line out signal path?
Can you point to the capacitors you have changed? just describe the place and specs.
Do you know the role of the 6 main capacitors in the center of the board? I have seen different types and different brands of those ranging from 470uf/16V to 390uF/330uF/25V.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #80 of 227

This is a good explanation. Thanks for your findings. I might try it. But I do not use the head amp, I use only the line out dac, I guess this voltage regulator serves both signal paths, can you confirm this????. Could this voltage reduction be a benefit for line out? Any possible drawbacks?

OP275 and OPA2134PA, can you figure out if those parts are participate to the line out signal path?
Can you point to the capacitors you have changed? just describe the place and specs.
Do you know the role of the 6 main capacitors in the center of the board? I have seen different types and different brands of those ranging from 470uf/16V to 390uF/330uF/25V.

I think LM317 affects both signal paths. I'm currently busy with other audio projects right now so maybe you can send me PM or email and I'll reply you when I have time later.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #81 of 227
On the subject of noise: I did my simple 'background noise' test (turning the volume up high, with no media playing), and was surprised to not be able to hear anything, whatsoever (just my tinnitus). Usually, (and particularly with the Ultrasone 650, which seem to be much more sensitive than the Denon D2000 for some reason), when plugged into a dedicated amp, I'll hear a sort of hum. Not loud enough to distract, but if I turn up the volume (of the H10, or particularly the Hlly MK5), there'll be noise.
Now, I realise that this must be, for sure, transformer hum, as both these amps have theirs built into the chassis (two, in the case of the H10). But, the X6's is external.

As for other noise(s); I've not noticed anything. This, at least, suggests to me that the DAC-X6 isn't particularly sensitive to computer generated interference, via USB.

The reason you are not hearing noise at all when nothing is playing is that the chip is muted when no audio is present. The green "lock" LED will be off when nothing is playing. 

(Retracted my statement about hearing hiss. Turns out it was from the recording itself).

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #82 of 227
Hi, could you please show(on picture) which capacitors you replaced? 
I set 8V but nothing changed.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #83 of 227

Some small values Elna caps. I'd like to replace all but there's budget limitations for that.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #84 of 227

Some small values Elna caps. I'd like to replace all but there's budget limitations for that.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Thx for the answer.
I think it's fake chinese ELNA, not Japan. 6 big looks like true Panasonic FC.
I have problem in some songs with low frequencies (bass, drums) when the volume is above than 50% , It sounds like a cheap acoustic. first I want to change small elna. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #85 of 227
Hi guys !

This is my first post and want to ask about this dac/amp. 2 days ago I bought 2 monitor speakers (Edifier R1280T) and I want to know if with this dac/amp I will notice some upgrade on sound. I tried plugging to my iMac and play some music and then with my Fiio X3II and I noticed the sound improved in some way.. So, this is the correct product for me?

Cheers guys :)

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #86 of 227
  Hi guys !

This is my first post and want to ask about this dac/amp. 2 days ago I bought 2 monitor speakers (Edifier R1280T) and I want to know if with this dac/amp I will notice some upgrade on sound. I tried plugging to my iMac and play some music and then with my Fiio X3II and I noticed the sound improved in some way.. So, this is the correct product for me?

Hi, 
How do you want to connect speakers? Dac x6  - headphones dac/amp. If you want dac+amp u should use 6.3 jack. Line out only dac, additional amp is required. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #87 of 227
Hi guys !

Those are active small speakers about 2x20w rms. So simple rca i/o and you have sound. X6 as a dac only. If you like the sound... You are more than ok. Check if you need eq for your room and check the position of the speakers and see if you can improve some details depending on your taste and sound material. I am not sure if those speakers can reveal much more than this dac can but i guess not...so finetune with eq.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #89 of 227
Like I said, I tried with my Fiio X3II and the sound improves in some way.. But if I use the Out line and its not amp.. I don't want to use the front connection for speakers u.u

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #90 of 227
I thought you have the x6. Any way, use only a line output for active speakers or amp. Headphone amp is designed  for different ohm resistance. If your device has not that "line out" mode then you have to live with more or less some times asthenic sound and correct it if the amp device has the power to do it, but this will always be a quality down fall.
Your active speakers need a line out to be fed correctly with proper voltage, same thing applies to amp/passive speaker...

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40780

Users who are viewing this thread

Back