FX-Audio DAC-X6 2016 Release; potential sub-$100 king?
Dec 17, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #61 of 227
Yes, volume is only for headphone amp. Line out has not volume control, this is ok i guess, like many other sound sources. But it can be controled either by foobar, the tube buffer or the main amp.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #62 of 227
I think there are 2 opamps, one for the headphone and the other for the line out. The one that can be changed is the op2134 that belongs to the line out signal if i am right. This one can sound really good but that depends highly on your setup and taste

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #63 of 227
Yes, volume is only for headphone amp. Line out has not volume control, this is ok i guess, like many other sound sources. But it can be controled either by foobar, the tube buffer or the main amp.

Oh actually that's even better for my taste. So I don't need to worry about how to properly tune the dac volume when paired with additional amp.
For some reason I always thought the RCA output on the back of DAC-X6 is pre-amp. Obviously, I haven't try it out just yet because I'm waiting for my LD MK3 to arrive.

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #64 of 227
Would this be worth buying if I only intend to use it as a DAC for my laptop? Will be feeding it to an try level tube amp: Bravo Audio Ocean I recently received as a gift.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/bravo-audio-ocean

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #65 of 227
Dec 18, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #66 of 227
Dec 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #69 of 227
In my point of view and as others say, x6 has a sound character on the bright/transparent side. This can irritate some ears. But combined with a tube buffer it can reveal musicality in a very "hi fidelity" warm way. There are also options of tube emulation, through VST fx plugins in foobar.
It could fit then on systems with already deep bass capabilities very efficiently with good control.

So, I like the sound of this device (as a DAC), it is a good source for further improvements. For me it could be useful to have a close to "natural" source and then try to "warm" it.
It also works very efficiently with ASIO drivers I have posted previously, never dropped a sound, very good cpu management, tested for days.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #70 of 227
  In my point of view and as others say, x6 has a sound character on the bright/transparent side. This can irritate some ears. But combined with a tube buffer it can reveal musicality in a very "hi fidelity" warm way. There are also options of tube emulation, through VST fx plugins in foobar.
It could fit then on systems with already deep bass capabilities very efficiently with good control.

So, I like the sound of this device (as a DAC), it is a good source for further improvements. For me it could be useful to have a close to "natural" source and then try to "warm" it.
It also works very efficiently with ASIO drivers I have posted previously, never dropped a sound, very good cpu management, tested for days.

Has link Asio drives for x6?

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #71 of 227
For the ASIO DRIVER. Take a look at a previous post http://www.head-fi.org/t/809203/fx-audio-dac-x6-2016-release-potential-sub-100-king/45#post_13063331
Currently you have to edit some files, this is a mod of a driver that belongs to a different machine with similar usb hardware. I could upload a modded version, but it seems there might be different results for different operating systems. So it is better to edit the files by yourself by following my instructions and select the version that behaves better after testing
Has link Asio drives for x6?

In my case asio is better on cpu managenent than wasapi @ WIN7 x32. For x64 could be better to use the latest, not tested on x64 but was not so good on a 32bit atom cpu.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #72 of 227

As someone new, I've always assumed too much brightness -> fatigue? Still searching for a safe/versatile DAC for my Bravo Audio Ocean, would you recommend the X6?

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #73 of 227
I am not sure I can give you such an advice because I have only line out use of it and headphones are outside of thisssignal path path except if i will choose to use the main amp head output. I would recommend headphones in the "basshead" area to be able to represent some additional vibrative bass to balance the rest of the frequencies that are being over projected. But that is just an assumption not a proposition.

But for a system with already overwhelming bass in hardware or your room or both... like mine, it could give useful and clean sounding low freq control. A good upgrade from the notebook line out, in this case.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #74 of 227

If you adjuat voltage output to 8.0V, it'll give you fuller body of dynamics with better linearity. I also replaced input/coupling capacitors with better ones used in highend brands. It sounds fabulous. :)

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #75 of 227

If you adjuat voltage output to 8.0V, it'll give you fuller body of dynamics with better linearity. I also replaced input/coupling capacitors with better ones used in highend brands. It sounds fabulous. :)

So electronics noob here. Do any of those mods require soldering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back