FX-Audio DAC-X6 2016 Release; potential sub-$100 king?
Nov 11, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #31 of 227
  Can it power the HD600/HD650 sufficiently?

Since no one is answering, I just want to start this off. I don't have the HD600 or the HD650 to test with my X6. But from what i've heard those Senns are very efficient, even though they are rated at 300ohm, most people reported that they can be 'driven' using an iPhone. Of course those cans arent being fully utilized using the iPhones but that goes to show how efficient they are. Having said all that, I tried the Philips X2s (32ohms), Senn HD518 (50ohm), and a bunch of IEMs(14-16ohms). The X6 can drive all of them with plenty of room to spare. The volume knob all the way down is at the 7olock position with max at 5olock position. I only need to go to 9-10 oclock on the IEM for a full blast, headbanging, cannot hear office noise anymore, and soon to be in the mood for the clubs kind of volume. The X2 will require pretty much the same power, at 9-10 oclock position. So based on these observations, I would assume the X6 'can' drive the HD600 lines including the HD6xx by Massdrop. Will it excel at that, i cant say. Considering the price, I have no worries recommending the X6 to anyone looking to give headphones extra power but also those looking to get better sound from their laptop or computers. The DAC is pretty good, will surely see an improvement over onboard sound of most laptops and motherboards.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #32 of 227

Since no one is answering, I just want to start this off. I don't have the HD600 or the HD650 to test with my X6. But from what i've heard those Senns are very efficient, even though they are rated at 300ohm, most people reported that they can be 'driven' using an iPhone. Of course those cans arent being fully utilized using the iPhones but that goes to show how efficient they are. Having said all that, I tried the Philips X2s (32ohms), Senn HD518 (50ohm), and a bunch of IEMs(14-16ohms). The X6 can drive all of them with plenty of room to spare. The volume knob all the way down is at the 7olock position with max at 5olock position. I only need to go to 9-10 oclock on the IEM for a full blast, headbanging, cannot hear office noise anymore, and soon to be in the mood for the clubs kind of volume. The X2 will require pretty much the same power, at 9-10 oclock position. So based on these observations, I would assume the X6 'can' drive the HD600 lines including the HD6xx by Massdrop. Will it excel at that, i cant say. Considering the price, I have no worries recommending the X6 to anyone looking to give headphones extra power but also those looking to get better sound from their laptop or computers. The DAC is pretty good, will surely see an improvement over onboard sound of most laptops and motherboards.

Thanks for the reply, but I ended up getting a SMSL SAP-II. I have an Asus DGX card in my pc so no need for a dac, and I read a review on head-fi that said the SAP-II can power the HD600 fairly well.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #36 of 227
  I have no problem driving my HD650 with the FiiO K5 ( specs: 150mW/300 Ohms).
The FX Audio X6 is given at 180mW/ 300 Ohms.
According to the specs it is OK.
I have ordered the X6 for that very reason.

Please be sure to write some lines about it when you receive it.

Actually I just realised that this is a DAC only and not a DAC/AMP. So basically I'll need an AMP as well correct?

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #37 of 227

Actually I just realised that this is a DAC only and not a DAC/AMP. So basically I'll need an AMP as well correct?

The X6 we talk about is a DAC/ Headphone amplifier capable of delivering from 90mW/600 Ohms up to 1W/16 Ohms.
You can if you choose to, use it to feed small speakers instead of your headphones.
If you need more power you need a bigger amp.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #38 of 227
  The X6 we talk about is a DAC/ Headphone amplifier capable of delivering from 90mW/600 Ohms up to 1W/16 Ohms.
You can if you choose to, use it to feed small speakers instead of your headphones.
If you need more power you need a bigger amp.

Yeah, my bad ... it's a dac/amp. I read some opinions and it seems people prefer the Monoprice DAC/AMP instead cause it has more power to drive the HD650.

I'm a total noob when it comes to dac/amp, so just please post your impressions when you get it and try it with your HD650.

Thanks !

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #39 of 227
I want to add some more thoughts on the X6 after a couple of months with it.

The DAC is really really good. Very clean, and quite neutral. Super low noise.

But the Amp is quite poor. Just no power at all. Compared to the little portable Fiio Q1, the Q1 has more power on Low gain!

The noise of the Q1 is noticeably more but all things considered (more bass from the Q1, even without bass boost on), I think the Q1 is a better buy. It's so little, it's portable, works great with my phone. I just like how my headphones and IEMs sound better with the Q1 rather than the X6. I paid around $60 for both from Aliexpress.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #40 of 227
Friends.
I came here to share with you my findings to improve the sound of the DAC-x6.
Firstly, I must inform you that several units of the dac-x6 are coming from the factory with the defective P10 adapter, it makes the sound sound bad and with the bass loss, I changed my P10 adapter to another better one and woooo !!! Better and better definition before I forget I also connected the 12V 1A power supply to another better 2.5A quality 12v which was the best thing I did the DAC-x6 is another dac now sounding much better.
Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Brazil.
Then post some photos.
Thank you

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #41 of 227
Thank you for posting and the pictures.
I also wonder how did you decid that it needs 12V 2.5A not 12V 1A power? Is it safe to change power supply? Can someone enlighten me please? =)
(I am also waiting x6 to arrive - a new experience with budget non-branded sound)

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #42 of 227
  Thank you for posting and the pictures.
I also wonder how did you decid that it needs 12V 2.5A not 12V 1A power? Is it safe to change power supply? Can someone enlighten me please? =)
(I am also waiting x6 to arrive - a new experience with budget non-branded sound)

Yes it is totally safe 12v 2.5A is perfect !!
Several other buyers on Aliexpress have reported great experiences exchanging 12vv 1A x 12v 2.5A along with the 6.3mm p10 adapter.
The original power supply is very bad, do not provide real 12v 1A.
Sorry for my bad English.
Thank you.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #43 of 227
Hi, Even with 12v 1A powers supply the X6 is quite hot. Do you think 12V 2.5A will increase the heat or did you observed any increase in temperatures of X6 ? 

By the way fantastic DAC. Way better than Fiio E10k. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #44 of 227
  Hi, Even with 12v 1A powers supply the X6 is quite hot. Do you think 12V 2.5A will increase the heat or did you observed any increase in temperatures of X6 ? 

By the way fantastic DAC. Way better than Fiio E10k. 

There is not any increase in temperature in my x6, even with 12v 2.5A it always cool normal.
Yes x6 much better E10K smile.

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #45 of 227
  There is not any increase in temperature in my x6, even with 12v 2.5A it always cool normal.
Yes x6 much better E10K smile.

Small and smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back