FX-Audio DAC-X6 2016 Release; potential sub-$100 king?
Sep 25, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #227 of 227
Hey guys, i just wanted to post a small mod i did with my dac. ive been studying up on impedance matching etc and while there is sill a lot i have to learn about the topic, i was able to identify why i was having some wildly varying performance on both my low and high impedance phones. basically, for me, it came down the gain states and switching the jumpers. i realised i could get the performance i wanted out of my phones if i switched between high and low gain accordingly, however, unscrewing it and pulling it out of the case every time was, not only a chore, but also virtually stripped down all my screw heads at t his point. so today i decided i was going to get clever and wire the jumpers to switches and mount the switches to the chassis and voila....instant gain switches. it didnt go well. while i was able to wire them up to two swparate switches and actually have the gain switch between high and low by alternating the state of each switch, there was a massive noise on the line that just sounded like loud white noise over the music. the gain functions worked fine like i said but i couldnt get rid of the noise and im not an engineer or electrician so i did what im best at. i jerry rigged a door on the top by cutting out a section of the case and riveting piano hinges to the flap and the case with a stopper and a tiny nub to lift the door with. it works perfectly and i can simply lift the door and change the jumpers in a few seconds now. ill post a couple pics. its not very pretty; if i wasnt in a hurry i would have used different tools and been a little more accurate and careful and than spray painted it to get back the nice black colour. instead i used a black posca marker to hide the exposed aluminium lol. anyway it was a fun little project and it helps out big time so i thought id share it with y'all
-T

Attachments

• 20210925_203718.jpg
    20210925_203718.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210925_203727.jpg
    20210925_203727.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210925_203735.jpg
    20210925_203735.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread